Quantcast

5 inch dual crown?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Is there one?

I am not convinced that more travel is better. I love to DH on a bike I can throw around like a negligent nanny throws around a noisy baby.

I love the feel of my ASX in 6 inch mode with a 5 inch fork. I would love a stiffer front end, though. I have a fox in there now, putting axle to crown at about 500mm. Is there a DC option that will preserve my head angle and BB height?

Could I run a travel reduction of some kind on, say, a slider + or a kingpin? Perhaps on a 02 super T? I'm not too stoked on newer marz stuff. Oh yeah, I really would prefer a 20mm axle.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
stinky|Dan said:
what about the maverick?
Fork weight, including upper crown is 1588 grams (3.5 lbs).?????

holy effing crap!

axle-to-crown is 517... looks good on paper. Somehow I doubt it would hold up. You know who else made DC forks that were unbelievably light? Hannebrink. nuff said.

I did see one on a bullit at a shop in berkeley.

PS: 24 mm axle? screw you guys. burn in he11

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
zedro said:
why DC? seems like the 5" forks out now are plenty stiff no? bigger legs than the old DC stuff.
I've never actually ridden a SC with a 20mm axle. Are they like turbo-stiffer both twisty-wise and front/back-wise?

I'm ashamed to admit that it's partially an aesthetic thing.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
anyone know the axle-to-crown on a 2003 slider+?

They are so hot. tpc+ makes me feel all funny inside like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I think that at small travel like that you would be happy with a SC. Try a Z1 FR I think you will like it a lot. Then again why not try out a six inch SC?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
I've never actually ridden a SC with a 20mm axle. Are they like turbo-stiffer both twisty-wise and front/back-wise?

I'm ashamed to admit that it's partially an aesthetic thing.
well with bigger legs they'll probably be, uhh, turbo...stiffer. yeah.

how about the Fox 36? 5lbs, adjustable from 110-150mm, position sensitive compression adjustments, 36mm uppers...probably beats the pants off the 02 Supers.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
smedford said:
I think that at small travel like that you would be happy with a SC. Try a Z1 FR I think you will like it a lot. Then again why not try out a six inch SC?
or even better, try a Z1 FR2, which is convertable between 130-150mm, the FR1 isnt...

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
Fork weight, including upper crown is 1588 grams (3.5 lbs).?????

holy effing crap!

axle-to-crown is 517... looks good on paper. Somehow I doubt it would hold up. You know who else made DC forks that were unbelievably light? Hannebrink. nuff said.

I did see one on a bullit at a shop in berkeley.

PS: 24 mm axle? screw you guys. burn in he11
if you're at all interested in that you should email Tim Flooks, he uses one on his personal ride and he's never been know to talk BS about stuff. That, and i would like to hear what he's got to say about them.

P.S. "turbo-stiff"!?!?! :D

EDIT: by the way....notice the steerer on them! MX stlyeeeeeeeeeeee

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I had a quick bounce (yes a bounce, nothing else) on those Maverick forks (and their SC ones) the other day, and daaaamn they're smooth. If I needed a fork for bouncing on, they'd be up there.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
zedro said:
probably beats the pants off the 02 Supers.
I've had soggy spaghetti that's stiffer than my 02 SuperT... great forks except for that issue. But anyway, unless you took a current DC fork and spaced it down to 5", any 5" DC you'll be able to buy (eg, old Jr T) will be pretty poor compared to todays current flock of SC forks, so you'd be better off running a Z1, Pike, or Sherman (to name a few examples), depending on your preferences and demands.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'd get an 03 slider and try to cut down the travel or leave it at 6". A boxxer would be light too but you'd have to make sure the damping was alright. I remember seeing a pic a couple years back of a guy out in BC with one of those urine-colored Kona Roast hardtail frames with an 02 Boxxer cut down to 4" or 5".

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hye, I have a 2003 Slider...can't recall the axle-crown right now, but it's SUPER low; similar to a lot of 5" singlecrowns. It was the exact same height as my Dorado SC...that's the reason I switched to the 6" fork. I'll measure it tonight for you.

In any case, I'm theorizing here, but you could buy a 5" Sherman TPC+ damper cart and install it quite easily. The spring I'm not sure about...I assume, since the damper side would now be shorter (shorter compression damping rod), the 5" spring would fit right in without a spacer...the 6" plunger for the spring would be held from extending fully by the damper side, so a 5" spring might fit right in. Or, you could buy and install the spring plunger for a 5" fork and you'd definitely be set.

Still, the 6" fork is so low, I don't think it's worth the trouble and cost.

MD

Edit: there's also the boxxer Ride model, adjusts down to 133mm.

Dunshee80

Chimp
Aug 16, 2004
stratos makes one, supposed to be for tandems, i doubt you'd find a stiffer 5" fork. 7.5 pounds, 35 mm stanchions......

Dunshee80

Chimp
Aug 16, 2004
also, as many others have suggested, a single crown with a 20mm will make you more than happy. My white bros 20mm single crown is stiffer than my old boxxer.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
My Fox Vanilla 125 felt stiffer than my 02 super t at first, I think because the longer fork has so much more leverage. Anyway, even with a QR dropout the 32mm stanchions made the fork feel turbo stiff, I think you'd like a 5" sherman or Z1 with 32mm stanchions and a 20mm axle if you tried it out.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
I was thinking about the Stratos LR 1 for a while, off their site:

http://www.stratashock.com/main.html

Developed to enhance your free ride experience, especially if you go up the hill! The LR1 comes in 5" or 6" travel, is the only dual crown "zero bleed" rebound lockout fork on the market, and offers multiple travel options. It is overbuilt to handle those rapid descents, yet light enough to climb. The weapon of choice for ultra smooth, reliable and locking suspension performance.

- 6" or 5" Travel
- Free Ride/Cross Country Fork
- 20mm Through-Axle or Quick Release Dropouts
- Open Oil-bath damping
- Coil Spring
- Internal Preload Adjustment
- External Rebound Adjustment with 14-Click Range
- External Compression Adjustment
- External Lockout Adjustment
- SUPA Seals for longer life and Wrench Flats for easier maintenance
- Huge 35mm Hard Anodized Aluminum Stanchions to eliminate torsion flex
- 180° Lock-to-Lock Steering for tight turning radius
- International Standard Disc Brake Mount or Cantilever Brake Mount

I don't know anyone who has ever bought one; I decided that the new single crowns were the way to go....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ronny Grady said:
I was thinking about the Stratos LR 1 for a while, off their site:
from what i've read it's really heavy and not as stiff as you'd expect due to funky design.