Quantcast

42 tooth cog for 10-speed

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
$100 for a single machine cog? What a joke.

That being said, I'd be down for a 42t granny gear that actually worked well.

Last edited:

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
It's expensive for sure, but I don't think it's totally laughable price. What do fancier front chainrings usually cost in USD?

I'm really tempted to buy one and try to use it with a 9-speed cassette.

Although now that I think about it, it would probably need a 9-speed spacer between the 42t cog and the rest of the cassette, which would result in the built in supports not touching the next cog which could end up in a bent cog.

Maybe I should give in and convert to 10 speed to be able to use the 42t cog. But Ithink I would take the 17t and 15t cogs out and replace them with a 16t cog to reduce the jumps between some of the most used gears.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It's expensive for sure, but I don't think it's totally laughable price. What do fancier front chainrings usually cost in USD?
Half as much, it's a joke. You can get two fancy Raceface narrow wide 30T rings for $100.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
Pretty good idea. You only have to pay $150ish to build a brand new cassette that essentially is the same range. Compare that to a $400 11sp mtn cassette, and you're saving some good money. I kinda feel dumb for spending so much on the xx1 cassette last week.

and you don't have to buy the sram driver!!! I hope they sell a ton!

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
they suggest to just remove the 17t cog, it's better to ditch both the 15t and the 17t and replace them with a 16t from the xt 11-32 cassette. this is what most ppl over here do, the result is that the supply of single 16t cogs is now really dry for months