Quantcast

40 oil

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what exactly changed? i still have half a tub of 7wt from fox.. seems weird they would change oil weight in the lowers and allow other companies to profit on it rather then fox
not sure. for the legs, it basically acts as an internal lubricant AFAIK. You'd probably be OK running 7.5 wt.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
what exactly changed? i still have half a tub of 7wt from fox.. seems weird they would change oil weight in the lowers and allow other companies to profit on it rather then fox
Fox does make 10wt oil now. If you have 7 wt. then just use that until you run out.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Since the 40's are sealed cartridge, the oil in the legs only lubricates the seals/stanchions. It doesn't do any damping, so any wt will be fine. I think they changed to 10wt to prevent new owners from having to buy two different jugs of oil to service their fork.

mcscott

Chimp
Mar 26, 2007
Pre-2010 Fox oil was Torco 10wt that Fox called 7wt. 2010+ Fox oil is Silkolene 10wt. Silkolene makes some of the best suspension oil around, it lasts a lot longer than most, and a lot of factory offroad motorsports teams use it. But for the semi-bath lube in the lowers, just use synthetic multi-weight motor oil or ATF. They are cheaper and adhere well, and do just fine lubricating the bushings and stanchions.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For the legs/lubricating oil, you can run just about any normal fork oil. The only place you'll notice a performance difference is in the damper oil (not the same as the oil you just dump in).

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I just bought some moto oil and mix 7/10 weights. But as mentioned above, its just for lubrication. You'd be fine with either on their own. And moto fork oil is much cheaper than the custom Fox stuff.