Quantcast

3D printed firearms?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I kind of remember hearing about how this would become a thing and now I saw a report from Sweden that they police are finding more and more of them. I didn't know 3D printing would be good enough to produce something safe enough? Are they also printing bullets? With the money in the drug trade I don't see the cost being an issue. So far the gang in Denmark and Sweden have only been killing each other but that could quickly change if you look at what is happening in Holland.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I kind of remember hearing about how this would become a thing and now I saw a report from Sweden that they police are finding more and more of them. I didn't know 3D printing would be good enough to produce something safe enough? Are they also printing bullets? With the money in the drug trade I don't see the cost being an issue. So far the gang in Denmark and Sweden have only been killing each other but that could quickly change if you look at what is happening in Holland.
What's happening in Holland? Now I'm too afraid to look out the window...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
So here the dealio yo, I’ve been a firearms dealer for 19 years in all classes with tax exempt status’s for explosives, incendiaries and full autos. Bottom line is this. The AR style lower is only a place to anchor pin to accurately place the firing pin, it does not require any pressure differential nor ballistic properties for accuracy, it’s only the upper receiver that makes the firearm functional in accuracy and function, if your lower can fling a hammer to the pin it will work. With that being said, there are few STL files that will align all of the pins in order to actually fire the firearm. Buy a cheap upper and experiment with printed lowers to find the viability for each union. It is definitely a testing scenario when applying the science. I have found some files that will sustain drum mags with full auto rates with no misfires or jams.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
So here the dealio yo, I’ve been a firearms dealer for 19 years in all classes with tax exempt status’s for explosives, incendiaries and full autos. Bottom line is this. The AR style lower is only a place to anchor pin to accurately place the firing pin, it does not require any pressure differential nor ballistic properties for accuracy, it’s only the upper receiver that makes the firearm functional in accuracy and function, if your lower can fling a hammer to the pin it will work. With that being said, there are few STL files that will align all of the pins in order to actually fire the firearm. Buy a cheap upper and experiment with printed lowers to find the viability for each union. It is definitely a testing scenario when applying the science. I have found some files that will sustain drum mags with full auto rates with no misfires or jams.
Thank you for the info that was interesting to hear. No wonder its a growing market especially here in Euro land where I am sure the criminal side of the business has a more difficult time buying guns. Then then just need to print bullets too I guess.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I always found it odd that they would choose to designate the lower assembly as the "firearm", but not the upper. Is it because the lower dictates caliber and firing rate?

The lower by itself isn't a firearm anymore than the upper by itself is. Controlling one but not the other seems disjointed.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I always found it odd that they would choose to designate the lower assembly as the "firearm", but not the upper. Is it because the lower dictates caliber and firing rate?

The lower by itself isn't a firearm anymore than the upper by itself is. Controlling one but not the other seems disjointed.
It is because the lower is what houses the firing mechanism, they had to put the serial number somewhere and the barrel didnt make much sense since it isn't integral to the firearm

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It is because the lower is what houses the firing mechanism, they had to put the serial number somewhere and the barrel didnt make much sense since it isn't integral to the firearm
That makes enough sense. Never computed in my mind how something like a 80% lower =/= a firearm, but that extra 20% transforms it into one. Or that 3D printed plans for lowers are readily available, but again, it's all hunky dory until it's actually printed.

It's no wonder it's so difficult to keep track of guns.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
That makes enough sense. Never computed in my mind how something like a 80% lower =/= a firearm, but that extra 20% transforms it into one. Or that 3D printed plans for lowers are readily available, but again, it's all hunky dory until it's actually printed.

It's no wonder it's so difficult to keep track of guns.
If you ever go to SHOT show in Vegas you will learn it is a cat and mouse game with ATF since all the manufacturers know it will take the Gov. years to learn, adapt, and change legislation in the industry when they do not like a certain product that may infringe on their mandates. Bump stocks are a prime example of the shit show

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
the cat and mouse game around gun rules is interesting and in other lands they bypass that by heavily regulating ammunition. in some cases I guess being in possession of even one round of live ammo will be a very bad day followed by prison.

but here, not so much, even in states where it's now a bit more of a PITA to buy ammo.

And while 3d printing is an interesting new land, having a benchtop mill and the requisite skills will also suffice for some use cases around DIY lowers

gonefirefightin

free wieners
the cat and mouse game around gun rules is interesting and in other lands they bypass that by heavily regulating ammunition. in some cases I guess being in possession of even one round of live ammo will be a very bad day followed by prison.

but here, not so much, even in states where it's now a bit more of a PITA to buy ammo.

And while 3d printing is an interesting new land, having a benchtop mill and the requisite skills will also suffice for some use cases around DIY lowers
Personally the jigs, fixtures and tooling that is over the shelf now for DIY lowers is astounding. A simple drill will work fine these days but if one wanted to get even more fancy a cheap drill press and sliding vise works really well.