Quantcast

32 or 36 spokes

Oct 8, 2003
Does any one know what the weight diffrence between a 32 spoke wheel and a 36 spoke wheel, both with the same hubs, rims and spokes? is a 36 spoke wheel alot stiffer? easier to true? is it worth the weight?

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Does any one know what the weight diffrence between a 32 spoke wheel and a 36 spoke wheel, both with the same hubs, rims and spokes? is a 36 spoke wheel alot stiffer? easier to true? is it worth the weight?
The weight difference would be that of four spokes and nipples minus the material drilled out of the hub and rim for the 4 additional holes... I can't tell the difference in stiffness personally... I don't think it would make much difference in truing either...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The weight difference would be that of four spokes and nipples minus the material drilled out of the hub and rim for the 4 additional holes... I can't tell the difference in stiffness personally... I don't think it would make much difference in truing either...
Ha Haaa Awesome!!

No noticable difference 32 vs 36.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I find the 36 is a lot stiffer and the extra 4 spokes makes the wheel easier to true. You have more adjustment. The weight is so minimal run 36/36 or if you want to lose a little weight run 32Front/36Rear.

What terrain do you ride, what do you weigh, how big of drops will the wheelset see.

I personally use to go through 32s all the time. My 36s have lasted a lot longer before they needed a true. If Im lucky I can make almost a whole season.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I would say that unless you're a hefty weight, 32 spoke is ideal (possibly 28, depending on application). Yes, 36 is more easy to true, but it is also heavier, and weight at the wheels makes a difference. Not to mention the fact that 32 spoke hubs, rims, etc. are all more common than their 36 spoke counterparts, and some stuff just doesn't come in 36 spoke. I think that the difference is probably 45g or so, so it's not much, but it's rotational, so it's something. And hey, it all adds up. I used to run 36 (one season) thinking I was all hardcore, and after the wheel suffered no damage and needed truing once, I realized that I might as well try 32 hole. Sure enough, same situation. I'm just not hardcore :) I weight 185 FYI, and rode some of the gnarliest DH out there.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
im 6'1" 150 lb dh racer, and i am pretty tuff on my rims. im running a set of 823's 32h front and rear, and these wheels are amazing. they have lasted two race season, two years of ridding, and a session at windrock. so i say if you can get away with 32 h go 32 h, but if you feel that you need it for your extra weight then go 36h. i personally think its a personal preference. hope this helps out man. :cheers:

Oct 8, 2003
Yea im only 165lbs and have have gotten 3 years out of 32s however I do feel they flex some. I am looking at getting a bike that comes with 36spoke wheels on it and was thinking about getting rid of them for 32s right away.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've been running 32's for the first time this whole season, and up until rider error within the past week, both rims have been pretty much straight. (I weigh 170 lbs.)

I think that if you have strong rims (EX721, MTX, or Arrows) and run 14ga. 2.0mm spokes, you should be fine.

My 32's were Single Tracks, with DT Swiss Competition 14ga. spokes, and brass 12mm nipples built by a competant wheel builder.

Just re-tighten the spokes on a regular basis for proper tension and everything should be O.K.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I run 32h Singletracks with 15/16g spokes and alloy nips. Those things get beat up but they're not too bad, I think it's because they're soft rims that they're pretty out of true.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It could be argued that you could actually build a lighter wheel with 36 spokes. For a given rider/app of course.
If you figure that you can get away with a lighter rim and thinner spokes and still have the same strength, then I'll bet the wheel ends up lighter. Especially if you go with a much lighter rim.

I bought a set of 36 spoke DH race wheels with singletrack rims 2 years ago. They held up fine and I usually only get a year out of a wheel. Also consider how light and how weak the single track rim is.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have owned my bullit for probably 4 months now. It has 32h singletracks. I have ridden gnarly rocky trails, and even dumb things street riding. They are still perfect (except a few tiny nicks).

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
It could be argued that you could actually build a lighter wheel with 36 spokes. For a given rider/app of course.
If you figure that you can get away with a lighter rim and thinner spokes and still have the same strength, then I'll bet the wheel ends up lighter. Especially if you go with a much lighter rim.
True. If you are using a lighter spoke like sapim cx-ray, ti spokes, or butted spokes a 36 configuration is best because the extra weight of the spokes is almost unnoticeable compared to the stiffness gained. If using regular 14g spokes 32 is fine for most people.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
True. If you are using a lighter spoke like sapim cx-ray, ti spokes, .

I just did the math (I'm bored)

36 x 14/15DB is marginally lighter than 32 x 14g straight. Not including nipples.
You don't even really have to get high rent on the spokes to make it worth while.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
ill try to keep t his short and sweet cuase i've got a bad habit or rantin about wheels for ever.

in theory, 32 spokes is going to be a less strong wheel, because theres is 4 less spokes supporting it. 4 spokes doesnt seem like that much but considering you can build reasonably strong wheels using 14 spokes thesedays, 4 spokes makes a differnce. so thats the disadvantage of 32. 36 has those four extra supporting spokes however, that means you add for more holes to the rim, taking more material away from the rim. the additional spokes also add a greater amount of pull on the rim, so now you have a rim with less material and more strain pulling on it. there fore, your creating a wheel that will more likely break completely when it does decide to go, but while its alive, if you keep it maintained, is significantly stiffer in my oppion.

32 holes is m ore then enough to keep the wheel alive, and will more then likely last you just as long as a 36 hole. some of us are weirdos though and like to stick to certain beliefs that really dont make that big of a differnce, and stay with 36. all my wheels are 36 spokes 3x, super high tension. double butted is nice too, but i'm not so picky bout that. the build of the wheel makes the biggest differnce over any component of the wheel. people always blame their sh!tty rim for blowing up their wheel, thats BS. if you take care of your wheels and they're in good shape, they should last you a very long time. doesnt matter waht rim (to an extent!) if its built right and maintained, it'll last a while.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I'm 185 w/o gear, and so long as the wheels are properly tensioned I can't tell a difference in stiffness between 32 and 36 hole.
More than likely, if your wheels are flexing noticeably, they need some attention, no matter what the build...