Quantcast

3 speed setup

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
ive seen pics of 3speed setups on a few bikes here. Id like to run something like that on my new jump/street bike im building.

What hub was used for it. I was looking at the king single speed cassette hubs. They look pretty good are people modding these to make them 3 speed or how is it done.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you can run 3 cogs on a King SS cassette hub. i'd assume the same for Hadley, but not sure. or you can get a regular cassette hub, and 3 cogs + spacers. if you go the latter route, i'd recommend Surly cogs, as they are designed such that running multiple cogs will give you 9sp spacing. especially if you run a King hub, as their freehub bodies are really, really soft.

edit - and skim this thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137565&highlight=drivetrain+thread

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
just run one cog on the back on a standard SS hub, and run 3 rings on the front. Use a chain tensioner for the slack cable.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
I've been running a 3-speed on my Specialized P-1 hub for a little over 2 years now. I think it is the same novatec hub that SuspectDevice is talking about. It is a tight fit to get 3 cogs on, but they are super cheap, and are bolt on. I am hard on ****, and this set-up hasn't had any problems since I mounted it.

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
I've been runnin a 5 speed on the Hadley SS hub for a little while now and I love it. You get a stiff rear wheel and get to run a short cage derailleur and shorter chain which is a good bonus.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
if you can find a old shimano screw on cog you can use it as a lockring and get 4 on a cheep ss hub.

i use a woodman