Quantcast

3 Piece Cranks

schwinnstr8

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
East Los
I just needed some opinions on which 3piece cranks i should get for my dh bike. I'm tryin' to decided between the profile dh ss, azonic 454, on one, or the planet x cranks. I also need advice on what length to get. If possible...please include pros and cons and differences of the cranks above. Thanks.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
From your name I'm assuming you have a Straight 8? I think your choices will be a little limited by that frame (BB wise), but all the ones you listed should be able to fit on a wide enough BB. As far as length, it seems like most people go with shorter for DH because they don't slam their pedals on rocks as much. I use 165. :monkey:

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
ok, this is just coming from anecdotal evidence, but whatever. Assign it as much weight as you want.

From what I've been told by friends who ride them, the Azonics aren't too good with fit and finish, which leads to creaking and problems keeping them tight.

Now, since Azonic is just a name, rather than a manufacturer, I'm pretty sure they don't make those cranks - they're probably the same crank as the on-one or px.

The Profiles, on the other hand, are pretty much at the top of the stack. They were perfected in bmx-land a LONG time ago. The only problem I can think of with them is the price.

As far as length goes, that's a personal thing. I run 175s because I never really noticed a problem with hitting rocks. If your bike has a really low BB, you might want to investigate something shorter. Just remember that shorter cranks give you less leverage, so if you do a lot of climbing, you'd do well to go with a longer crank.

DAGumZ

Chimp
Jan 21, 2002
Toronto
I run the Azonic 454 with no probs.

The bearings are easily and enexpensively replaced (so I have heard and not done for two seasons since I have ridden with them).

I like them because of the pinch bolt for the spindle and the crank arm bolt. Keep then attached to the bike.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
I run 170mm Redline cranks with an Azonic 454 BB spindle on my 02 Big Hit DH, love them. Had a set of FSA 3pc cranks and couldn't keep them tight.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Well the I don't think the planet x are the same as the azonics. They are kinda folded into a triangle from plate and welded up the back and they have planet x extruded out the front.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Dude you DON"T need Profile SS on a DH bike. I'm assuming that you hav a full suspension bike. Even with normal Profiles...you will break just about any frame out there before you bend/strip profiles on a full suspension bike. Profile SS are a full half inch axle with BIG crank arms. I'm 210 pounds and I have a set of Nomal profiles on my BMX bike and I haven't come close to bend or breaking them. And figure that BMX bikes see WAY more abuse than mtb bikes, were talking FULL RIGID. Basically you will break yourself or your bike before you will SS cranks.

On the other hand normal profiles are lighter than your other choices, figure around 3 pounds for everything, I had another set of 165mm cranks with Euro bb and spider. A cheaper route is to buy them from a BMX retailer...for about 135 bucks...then buy the euro hop up kit. IT will usually end up cheaper than what you would normally pay for them from a mtb shop. Cranks with a lot of splines like profiles, 47, hold VERY well due to more surface area. So much so that you need a hammer to remove the arms. I don't particularly like pinch bolt type cranks, ie Azonics. Looking at price only you can't really beat On One's but if you got a few more bucks to spend go with the profiles. They got a lifetime warranty on the arms and such, and in bmx cataloges they sell arms individually so if you don't liike the length you could buy the crank arms individually instead of buying a whole new cranks/bb setup. I'd still go for the profiles over the On One though....save for another week and you'd be able to affor Profiles.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Dog Welder
Dude you DON"T need Profile SS on a DH bike. I'm assuming that you hav a full suspension bike. Even with normal Profiles...you will break just about any frame out there before you bend/strip profiles on a full suspension bike. Profile SS are a full half inch axle with BIG crank arms. I'm 210 pounds and I have a set of Nomal profiles on my BMX bike and I haven't come close to bend or breaking them. And figure that BMX bikes see WAY more abuse than mtb bikes, were talking FULL RIGID. Basically you will break yourself or your bike before you will SS cranks.

On the other hand normal profiles are lighter than your other choices, figure around 3 pounds for everything, I had another set of 165mm cranks with Euro bb and spider. A cheaper route is to buy them from a BMX retailer...for about 135 bucks...then buy the euro hop up kit. IT will usually end up cheaper than what you would normally pay for them from a mtb shop. Cranks with a lot of splines like profiles, 47, hold VERY well due to more surface area. So much so that you need a hammer to remove the arms. I don't particularly like pinch bolt type cranks, ie Azonics. Looking at price only you can't really beat On One's but if you got a few more bucks to spend go with the profiles. They got a lifetime warranty on the arms and such, and in bmx cataloges they sell arms individually so if you don't liike the length you could buy the crank arms individually instead of buying a whole new cranks/bb setup. I'd still go for the profiles over the On One though....save for another week and you'd be able to affor Profiles.

yep...everything he said.....D

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
I run the Axiom Big Drop cranks, which are an inexpensive 3 pc cromo crank that are exactly the same as the DMR chieftan cranks. Work just fine and take a beating.

Flipper

Chimp
Nov 19, 2001
Southern Ontario
I have some on ones and a set of profiles. The on one cranks have arms are very large and can cause problems when you use an evil chain guide with them, some grinding is required for the crank arm to be flush with the guide. They also only come in with 2 axels. If I was going to do it again, I would of bought another set of profiles. You can get parts anywhere, almost every bmx shop carries profiles however the euro bb is sort of a pain to setup and the only source for replacement bearing is profile. (Can you get bearings for anywhere elese?) The bb isn't sealed very well either.

Just to clear a few things up the on one cranks are very similar to profiles with approximently 48 splines on the axel and are not pinch bolt. The fsa 3 piece x-drive has the same bb (looks like it anyway) as the on ones, but have different arms and come with a greater selection of mounting hardware.

I hope that helps.

check out www.unrealcycles.com for crank choices

rbx

Monkey
Originally posted by Flipper
I have some on ones and a set of profiles. The on one cranks have arms are very large and can cause problems when you use an evil chain guide with them, some grinding is required for the crank arm to be flush with the guide. They also only come in with 2 axels. If I was going to do it again, I would of bought another set of profiles. You can get parts anywhere, almost every bmx shop carries profiles however the euro bb is sort of a pain to setup and the only source for replacement bearing is profile. (Can you get bearings for anywhere elese?) The bb isn't sealed very well either.

Just to clear a few things up the on one cranks are very similar to profiles with approximently 48 splines on the axel and are not pinch bolt. The fsa 3 piece x-drive has the same bb (looks like it anyway) as the on ones, but have different arms and come with a greater selection of mounting hardware.

I hope that helps.

check out www.unrealcycles.com for crank choices
for a dj ht frame would you still recommend the normal profile crank(not the ss)over the on-one reetards?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by rbx

for a dj ht frame would you still recommend the normal profile crank(not the ss)over the on-one reetards?

I personally think that the normal profiles are plenty strong..but if you don't need the full strength of the SS why not look into the dirt jumper Profiles. its basically the 3/8th in axle that normail profile have with the thick arms of the SS.