Quantcast

3/8 axles vs. 14mm axles

Dropking

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
will 3/8 axles be ok for all around riding (mainly trail but a fair amount of everything)? The rear axle is converting to 14mm, how does that compare to a regular 14mm axle?

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
If you're not riding particularly hard and aren't very heavy, you'll be fine. If you have pegs or ride very hard, they'll bend VERY quickly. Some of the higher quality ones may be stronger, but I have minimal experience with them, as on the higher end I don't see a point in not using 14mm.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Yeah, you cannot ride without 14mm axles. I have no idea how the riders in the past did it. I have bent 3/8 axles on the first ride. You can get away with 3/8 in the front if you do not plan on doing smith grinds or a lot of double peg grinds.
As for converting 3/8 to 14mm, in theory it can be stronger. Because you have more than one wall of material. Just like the fact that tubes are stronger than solid rods. You still take the chance of bending the axle at the hub. But that should only happen if you are a very heavy and unsmooth rider.

pot

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
waikato, New Zealand.
3/8 are allright but it really does depend on how smooth you are as a rider. But for me 14mm or nothing as I way 105kg even though I don't go to big because I suck.
How is the rear axle converted? is it a thread on 14mm converter thing that goes on the 3/8's axle or someting else.

pot

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
waikato, New Zealand.
If you do find the axles do break in the rear because it is still a 3/8's at least you have the option of buying a proper rear wheel = 14mm with strong axles, have fun on your bike.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
If you are running pegs then a rear 14mm axle is a neccesity. Otherwise it depends. If you are a big guy then maybe you should run them or if you are planning on running pegs in the future. The thread on axles converters are that great, they still bend and tend to rust onto the 3/8th axle so go 14mm or go home, and by go home i mean run a normal 3/8

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Originally posted by Ir Dan
If you are running pegs then a rear 14mm axle is a neccesity. Otherwise it depends. If you are a big guy then maybe you should run them or if you are planning on running pegs in the future. The thread on axles converters are that great, they still bend and tend to rust onto the 3/8th axle so go 14mm or go home, and by go home i mean run a normal 3/8
The converters are not that bad. If you grease them they will not rust. They are better than just "going home" to 3/8. I run them and I have yet to have a problem. I am smooth though and do not trash my bikes.

pot

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
waikato, New Zealand.
180pounds i'm not v/good with imperial or what ever but is that about 90kg you are probably big enough to def consider 14mm as a good idea. but then at the end of the day it still comes down to smoothness etc my friend ways bout 75kg and he used to replace 3/8 axles almost monthly. there is nothing like having to walk 10k's back from the skatepark to convince you as to that 14mm is da sh#t.