Quantcast

222 swingarm pinch bolt problem...

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i was changing tires on my 222 tonight when i noticed something interesting. somehow the pinch bolt on the swingarm on the drive side has become stripped. i'm not sure how...everything was tight before i rode it last and now the bolt is spinning easily. i know how to fix it so that isnt a problem...my question is...is it same to ride on for a day? i still have the other pinch bolt (non drive side) and the axle is torqued down to spec. what do u guys think? i just dont want the swingarm to break, wheel to fall off or who knows.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Without knowing exactly how the orange swingarms look, I would assume you should be ok........for a day. The thing you have to look out for would be if there is any possible way the bolt could develop some play within the swingarm without that pinch bolt. My bike for instance has 2 bolts per side and I have ridden missing one. But this might not be safe with your bike if the pinch bolt (there's only one per side?) closes any significant gap around your bolt. This might let the bolt move around a bit and damage your swingarm.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
kidwoo said:
Without knowing exactly how the orange swingarms look, I would assume you should be ok........for a day. The thing you have to look out for would be if there is any possible way the bolt could develop some play within the swingarm without that pinch bolt. My bike for instance has 2 bolts per side and I have ridden missing one. But this might not be safe with your bike if the pinch bolt (there's only one per side?) closes any significant gap around your bolt. This might let the bolt move around a bit and damage your swingarm.
ya...it closes about a mm gap :(