Quantcast

2024 racing thread

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
sells out for, probably, an insane amount of money to a large well run corporation...is shocked and upset to find they run business like well run corporation and lose punk, skate image RR loved. Can he be disappointed? Sure, but he can also fuck off and enjoy his wealth he got from facilitating it all.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
sells out for, probably, an insane amount of money to a large well run corporation...is shocked and upset to find they run business like well run corporation and lose punk, skate image RR loved. Can he be disappointed? Sure, but he can also fuck off and enjoy his wealth he got from facilitating it all.
Ward,you were little tough on the Beav.

Avy

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Roskopp is pretty blunt here.
Nothing like getting it both ways. All the money of selling, then the chutzpah to suggest that the inevitable shitty large corporation shenanigans weren’t expected, despite selling to a shitty large corporation.
Respect the hustle Rob. You deserve a cheque after turning a boutique bike brand into one of the biggest players in the market.

rumours are suggesting Greg may join RR at Unno, that may make more sense than Norco.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
@joeg where you at?

Aren't you "the man" at SC Bikes these days? Was the Goat not worth the feed?
Its a testament to how long of a run it was that folks are more shocked that its over than that it went on for that long. In that timeframe, social media was invented and the echo chamber is louder than ever. over those years the team roster has changed a lot, like everything else in the world.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Flip,having seen all these stupid little thumbs up etc. at the bottom of you’re post,It seems other’s agree with you. I would prefer they speak their mind,than hit a moji,but nobody cares what I think. That being said,perhaps you can speak for All that agree with you,and tell Avy why?

Why are you so upset with him? He was honest in saying he made a mistake. He could have said something else?

As you know,he was One of the Very few who made it in the Bike World.

Such anger you feel reminds me of myself for how I feel about Spesh. I Try to not say or feel the word Hate, in all matters. Yet,It is still a problem I have.

In Season 2,If you Subscribe,you can hear,commercial free,the Spesh answer!

I am looking forward to you’re thoughts.

Avy

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Despite my glib response, I'm not upset with him and as much as I've been a fan of the brand and team, in the end it's pretty clear that business decisions get made, sometimes the people we don't expect get impacted. I would've loved to see Greg close out there as much as most, but I'm not the one who had to make those decisions. I"m a small business owner, and I'm lucky to have not had to make those kinds of hard decisions as of yet to people I respect, so I try not to judge too much about things I know nothing of.

but also, I agree that specialized is terrible.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I mean technically I'd do the same. Having money to chill and relax is nice so I get why he sold. I also get why he'd rather see SC run differently. It's not like he should sacrifice himself to be the protector of stoke in our industry.

@Avy with the influx of VC money quite a few people now have made it. It's just some peeps need to sell before the bubble bursts. The industry will be hurt when VC's start running

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
just look at what happened to GG after the VCs pulled out. Instant death

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I mean technically I'd do the same. Having money to chill and relax is nice so I get why he sold. I also get why he'd rather see SC run differently. It's not like he should sacrifice himself to be the protector of stoke in our industry.
yeah for sure, but also, he chose the company to purchase his baby, it's on him for the result. In my situation the previous owners of my company had standing offers from large national firms for a significant amount of money. But it would've meant immediate dissolution of the previous company and being absorbed into a faceless corp. They made an offer to staff they felt embodied their ethos and wanted to carry on the name and company to protect that desire and a couple of us took them up on it. So RR isn't absolved of this result, imo, which is why I generally don't really care what he thinks about the situation.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yeah for sure, but also, he chose the company to purchase his baby, it's on him for the result. In my situation the previous owners of my company had standing offers from large national firms for a significant amount of money. But it would've meant immediate dissolution of the previous company and being absorbed into a faceless corp. They made an offer to staff they felt embodied their ethos and wanted to carry on the name and company to protect that desire and a couple of us took them up on it. So RR isn't absolved of this result, imo, which is why I generally don't really care what he thinks about the situation.
The question is how many buyers did he have to chose from and were any of them non dickbag vc companies?

I'm not saying he is absolved. I'm simply saying he has the right to complain. Though I agree he should bear responsibility for his decision to sell and to whom to sell. My current company got bought just when I joined and while it helped growth jesus it's a clusterfuck so I do relate but the old owners don't really care. They have private Island money afterwards since it was a media group listed on multiple stock exchanges.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Just jump in here and add to the pile on RR.

He could have made SC employee owned, continued to have some say in the BOD and still lived well.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
That's. ... Not exactly how it happened
Please, there is no place for nuanced understanding in this forum. Reactionary half truths only.

My under standing was that GG gave up ownership in order to finance the rapid expansion, new machinery etc…then in the covid slow down the BC ownership said this is too slow a process, we’re gone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Please, there is no place for nuanced understanding in this forum. Reactionary half truths only.

My under standing was that GG gave up ownership in order to finance the rapid expansion, new machinery etc…then in the covid slow down the BC ownership said this is too slow a process, we’re gone.

The VC isn't gone... Who do you think is liquidating the assets right now?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I’d assumed a liquidator.
That was a funny post above with “please”,but this one brought back a memory.

Liquidator,in the end,it comes down to an auction. I had a childhood guy that I went to school with from 3rd till 8th grade. We then went to different High Schools. One miserable day I went to the store,feeling like I don’t belong. Long,long story. I hear “Avy”,is that you? I turn and look at this guy holding 3 malt liquor cans of beer in black sweat pants and a wrinkled shirt. I knew not who he was? It’s me Pat,from school? I play it off like I knew who he was. How you doing Avy? Not so good Brother. You hungry I ask? Yes,starving. Let’s go,I’m gonna bbq some chicken. 2 beers in I start to remember who the fuck this guy is. He was always heavy and not very popular,no girls that I could remember. He did not play any sports,and we never hung out,though we had many classes together. I plum forgot about him. But drinking those cold Beers,rehashing the old school days,it was all coming back. Where you livin Brother,shit Negro,right where I always been. Two streets over from here. What? Yeah,I own the house I grew up in and have another. Another I ask? Yes,I am renting it out. What the Fuck I say! How is it that such good fortune has come you’re way Brother? I turn the chicken on the Barbie,lid back on. Well,my parents passed and left me the house. Sorry to hear that,brother’s,sissy? No,just me. Married? No. Girl? No. So what the Fuck do you do for a living? I auction,you know the Guy that stands at the podium and rambles off prices? What? You? Yes,me,he sips his beer. Get the fuck outa here Avy say’s. No for real. Give me a taste I say. Then Avy starts Rambling like I was him. I watch the Car auctions on TV so I act like that Guy. He laughs and says not to bad. But you are not fast enough. Avy checks the chicken again,looking perfect,I remember very well.

Fuck,I’m sorry guys,I have been drinkin and this story does not belong here as does not pertain to the topic.

Avy

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Vampires agree.
I mean when I was working at movie festivals and movie markets my job often ended at 1-3AM. Was fun but one needed to be good at maintaining proper hydration levels if one didn't want to miss morning meetings.

Also Is GG just the begining? Overliquidity in the markets and low interest rates meant we have too many VC's with too much money. They don't think long term so bike companies, even niche ones grew at an insane pace and no one did long term risk managment so everyone overstocked like a moron. Now even if you didn't you are fucked since your competition is on sale 24/7. This basically is happening in every industry but since our industry is smaller companies fail faster.

With UCI (Warner is bad but it's really UCI) killing Enduro and to a lesser extent DH it seems we are going back to the dark days after DH was dropped from Eurosport in the early 00s. I mean we will all be riding our bikes anyway but it sucks to see many good people possibly losing their jobs. Even if the sudden growth of wages and amount of jobs seemed super weird to me.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
He didn't say he still wanted to be in charge. He said he was disappointed in how his former business is being run now.
And he's perfectly entitled to that opinion. Infinitely more so than anyone here's opinion of his business decisions.
Sure, he can be disappointed and have an opinion on it.

But his opinion isn't any more important than a random homeless dude off the street at this point.

I'm not assigning any morality to his decision to sell the company. I don't give a fuck, if I owned a bike company and an international holding company wanted to come buy it up as an investment and offered me a good price on it I'd sell faster than you can say something objectionable on the internet.

But since he's sold, he very quantifiably doesn't have a more important opinion on the matter than anybody else. Maybe less so, because he had decision and direction making powers attached to his opinion on the matter and he decided having money was more important to him and actively decided to give up having decision and direction making powers in exchange.

So I'm going to keep making fun of him. Boohoo the poor multi-millionaire who sold his company because he wanted money more than decision making powers is upset because the new owners also value money more than intangibles.

Easy to say other companies should make bad business decisions that make them less money because it makes you feel warm and ooey gooey inside.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I mean when I was working at movie festivals and movie markets my job often ended at 1-3AM. Was fun but one needed to be good at maintaining proper hydration levels if one didn't want to miss morning meetings.

Also Is GG just the begining? Overliquidity in the markets and low interest rates meant we have too many VC's with too much money. They don't think long term so bike companies, even niche ones grew at an insane pace and no one did long term risk managment so everyone overstocked like a moron. Now even if you didn't you are fucked since your competition is on sale 24/7. This basically is happening in every industry but since our industry is smaller companies fail faster.

With UCI (Warner is bad but it's really UCI) killing Enduro and to a lesser extent DH it seems we are going back to the dark days after DH was dropped from Eurosport in the early 00s. I mean we will all be riding our bikes anyway but it sucks to see many good people possibly losing their jobs. Even if the sudden growth of wages and amount of jobs seemed super weird to me.
Seems that Blackspire is officially done and gone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
even big companies like trek are holding back new product because their dealer network is struggling to sell excess inventory of current bikes

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
even big companies like trek are holding back new product because their dealer network is struggling to sell excess inventory of current bikes
They should just put drop bars on all of their bikes and call them Gravel bikes. This would make those babies sell in no time

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

I already thought Blackspire was gone…they really peaked during the freeride era and haven’t been making much noise for a while.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
his opinion isn't any more important than a random homeless dude off the street
Unless that homeless dude is a former or current syndicate rider or Santa cruz employee it kinda is.

I can't believe so many of you here actually care that he commented on the situation nevermind think you can somehow chastise him for it. I'm sure he'll be just fine whatever your opinion of his opinion is.
Thinking RR is looking for YOUR pity is simply deluded

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

That's sucky, bought a chainring direct from them not long ago as they were the only company still selling rings for XTR 9020 cranksets.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Geez that sucks for Trek. I wonder why people aren't buying those *checks notes* $8000 trail bikes with Performance level Fox suspension and SLX gear.

If only there was a way to somehow make those bikes more appealing the consumer.