Quantcast

2021 racing rumors

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Peaty and Minnaar are the only other racers I can think of who have stayed with the same team for over 10 years.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Not the same team set up each time but Kovarik was on Intense for nearly his whole pro career and is still with them now.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Not a racer, but Hans Rey is with GT since forever.

Has Kovarik ridden for any other team? First time I became aware of him he was already on Intense.
Hill was on Intense, Iron Horse, Specialized and now Nukeproof.
Minnaar on Animal Orange, Global Orange, Haro, Syndicate.
Peaty on Saracen, MBUK (GT frames I think), GT, Syndicate.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Has Kovarik ridden for any other team? First time I became aware of him he was already on Intense.
Aren't you missing Honda whatever for Minnaar?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

add Orange before SantaCruz

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hans Rey's entire career baffles me.
Dress in horrible GT gear and do backhops. sometimes front hops.
PROFIT

Add Kona and Orange
Team MBUK were actually on SantaCruz bikes the year Peaty signed for GT

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Hans Rey's entire career baffles me.
Dress in horrible GT gear and do backhops. sometimes front hops.
PROFIT

Add Kona and Orange
Team MBUK were actually on SantaCruz bikes the year Peaty signed for GT
You guys are right. Missed Honda for Minnaar and Orange for Peaty, dang! Should not write posts with low blood sugar. :bonk:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
yeah. I remember him absolutely ripping and destroying tracks on that shit GT

even the largest size would be considered unrideable or as twitchy as a BMX by todays sizing standards

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Hell I always thought Saracen was one of the newer brands, and to be honest I thought they stemmed from a budget bike category.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Hell I always thought Saracen was one of the newer brands, and to be honest I thought they stemmed from a budget bike category.
They made good (for the time) bikes, well OK bikes anyway. Then they made really shit budget bikes, then they went away, then Madison brought them back to life in their current guise.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Saracen never actually went away.
Saracen along with MuddyFox were one of the first mass produced affordable (steel) mtb brands in the UK and both companies sold shit loads of bikes until the early 00s when both brands made cheap Alu jump bikes, average XC style hardtails and pretty poor FS mtb. From the mid 00s until Madison bought and rejuvinated the brand in 2009 Saracen did indeed make budget Aluminium bikes.

Muddyfox weren't so lucky

from this ('99 DH Ultimate)

to this...

Ultimate WTAF?

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
it’s true the session ten was the only good looking trek dh frame. I can’t seem to find a clear shot of the linkage but I can’t stop seeing a high pivot evil in there somehow (I think it’s the white and rear triangle shape). I feel like the design is something that could work with modern geo.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
At some point I forgot 47-50lbs dh bikes were normal. My first dh bike was a Marin and I was stoked it was 50 some odd pounds I seem to remember my 20” was about the same weight 415 chain kink 44 sprocket and kink pegs, so many sparks! Wow thanks for that trip down memory lane!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it’s true the session ten was the only good looking trek dh frame. I can’t seem to find a clear shot of the linkage but I can’t stop seeing a high pivot evil in there somehow (I think it’s the white and rear triangle shape). I feel like the design is something that could work with modern geo.
At some point I forgot 47-50lbs dh bikes were normal. My first dh bike was a Marin and I was stoked it was 50 some odd pounds I seem to remember my 20” was about the same weight 415 chain kink 44 sprocket and kink pegs, so many sparks! Wow thanks for that trip down memory lane!
i actually got to ride one. the geometry was fine for the time, but yea it was a fucking tank. one of the heaviest production DH bikes ever made. i think frame alone was like 12 or 13 lbs.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
i actually got to ride one. the geometry was fine for the time, but yea it was a fucking tank. one of the heaviest production DH bikes ever made. i think frame alone was like 12 or 13 lbs.
BMW called and wants to claim that title. :D

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Nicolai Lambda was stupid heavy. What did the Trek Diesel weigh? Can't find info. Early 2000s Stab Primo was really heavy as well. Banshee Scream was 14.5lbs.