Quantcast

2014 World Cup (of soccer) thread

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
being half french, I'm quite pleased with the outcome of today's game!
Being an American of French descent, I am happy as well. That said, when the game was scoreless late, I was kind of thinking how cool it'd be for unheralded Nigera to knock off France. America loves an underdog!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Apparently the Germany / France game has already been canceled. France just surrendered... :weee:
Quoted for giggles...I mean, thats not funny!

Was a little disappointed last night. I play pick up soccer with a group of Brits and Irish guys a couple nights a week, and the place we play at has a nice pub and sets up for games. We finished 20 minutes prior to game time, and went to watch the game, anticipating a good crowd...and there was only a dozen or so of us. German football fans are so arrogant...if its not the endspiel no one cares...

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Penalties. I hate when a game is decided by penalties. Damn.
I have the perfect replacement to PKs. If things are still tied after the normal OT, sudden death OT and an additional ball is put into play every 10 minutes. The anarchy would be sublime.

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
11 million ppl vs 313 million ppl score 2:1

conclusion: stop playing rugby, it is soccer! Also eat less bacon :D

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Sigh...TIMMAY was en fuego...but 38 shots, 18 on target...is ridiculous. US needs a real midfield if we are ever to make the quarter final. Beazley was awesome on the wing, as was Yedlin...Dempsey was a no show, and Bradley was just terrible. Was disapointed Altidore didnt come in as a minute 70 sub...

I guess now I back Netherlands. Hottest fans imho...hup Nederland HUP!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Even though I'm a US Soccer fan, I had a strong feeling they weren't going to win the World Cup. I was just hoping that we'd make it farther than last time. Glad we scraped by to make it out of the "group of death" but definitely not a good showing by the US yesterday until the last 15min. You don't win soccer games by playing defense the WHOLE game.

Well, at least the MLS season is still in full swing. Zusi and Besler will return to Sporting Kansas City who is currently sitting in first place in the Eastern Conference. LET'S GO SKC!!!!!

Last edited:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
lucky for us Howard decided to show up and play. i'm not impressed with Bradley at all. he cost them the Portugal game and had similar sloppy play when the game counted with Belgium.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The US National team has produced some serious keepers (please don't count Tony Meola), but Howard is on a whole new level. If only the US could produce a few mids that could play, damn.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Meola was bad back in the day...you know you had his pictures...

But agree 100%. American keepers are some of the best out there, and are some of the best, most well rounded athletes on the pitch anywhere.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The US National team has produced some serious keepers (please don't count Tony Meola), but Howard is on a whole new level. If only the US could produce a few mids that could play, damn.
With the increasing popularity in the US I think it will only get better as long as they can keep raising the professional level.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
except soccer wasn't the byproduct of a marketing meeting. :stosh:
Not of a marketing meeting between some dudes who couldn't cut it in proper industries, but the world cup is certainly the byproduct of a few corrupt old men colluding in a room and getting filthy rich.

Which is not what i was getting at all, just saying that footsoccer is increasing in popularity.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not of a marketing meeting between some dudes who couldn't cut it in proper industries, but the world cup is certainly the byproduct of a few corrupt old men colluding in a room and getting filthy rich.

Which is not what i was getting at all, just saying that footsoccer is increasing in popularity.
america is just finally getting on board with what the rest of the world already knew

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have been all over the farging world, and one fo the only consisitencies is soccer...yet there are those in th SU who deride it as un 'merikuhn™...which really doesnt bother me at all. I love the damn game...playing, coaching or watching.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Meola was bad back in the day...you know you had his pictures...

But agree 100%. American keepers are some of the best out there, and are some of the best, most well rounded athletes on the pitch anywhere.
No, Keller was the MAN and they played Meola. Hell, Keller today is better than Meola was then. :rofl:

But please don't forget 38 shot to our 9. 9 shots on goal? Really?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
With the increasing popularity in the US I think it will only get better as long as they can keep raising the professional level.
The problem is they get no better when they play here. If you grow up playing and go to college and play, then go to the MLS, you will never develop to the top level. You have to play with the best in the world to compete against the best in the world.

But the only way you can improve popularity is to keep the good players here where people get to see them play. So you keep your best players home playing against scrubs then expect them to win in the world cup.

Adu is the poster child for this. He should have not played in the MLS at 14, he should have worked with the u-21 team and played overseas at 18. At the peak of his development he wasn't developed. Now people wonder if he ever will.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
The problem is they get no better when they play here. If you grow up playing and go to college and play, then go to the MLS, you will never develop to the top level. You have to play with the best in the world to compete against the best in the world.

But the only way you can improve popularity is to keep the good players here where people get to see them play. So you keep your best players home playing against scrubs then expect them to win in the world cup.

Adu is the poster child for this. He should have not played in the MLS at 14, he should have worked with the u-21 team and played overseas at 18. At the peak of his development he wasn't developed. Now people wonder if he ever will.
The level of skill in the MLS has improved greatly over the past few years. They're no longer the minor league of the world. There are several MLS players that played for their home countries in the world cup (other than the US).

People claim that Team USA didn't do well because American soccer is not at that level but only 9 of the 21 members of Team USA actually play in the MLS. The rest play in other leagues around the world. They had the talent to do better but just couldn't pull it together when the time came.

The Premier League is supposed to be this great league and yet Team England didn't make it out of their group. Their entire team was made up of players from 5 different Premier League teams and the best they could do was a 0-1-2 record.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Also fwiw, some have argued that several of the US's best players opted to play in the MLS to make sure they get minutes leading up to world cup competition - vs possibly sitting on the bench or being used only intermittently in euro/Latin league.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
The Premier League is supposed to be this great league and yet Team England didn't make it out of their group. Their entire team was made up of players from 5 different Premier League teams and the best they could do was a 0-1-2 record.
That's 'cause large numbers of PL players come from other countries...

Same for Bundesliga, La Liga, etc.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Italian league is where the corruption is! That's where the talent gets paid. While I would love to have played soccer for a living, no MLS player will ever make Ronaldo level money ($80M/year in salary and endorsements).

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
...not when they are all under contract to the league itself. It really is the Costco of soccer leagues. Good product, but not great, good prices and selection, but nothing really cutting edge or superty duper...just average...