Quantcast

2014 Fox 40 Float Negative Spring Options

mtdh

Chimp
Nov 11, 2013
Vancouver
Hi,

Has anyone been able to get an optional negative springs for a Fox 40 Float. The default spring rate is 22 lbs/in with optional 18, 20 and 24 lbs/in. The spring travel from what I read in article is 110 mm. This gives you about 8-12 lbf difference between springs (assuming some non linearity due coil bind at sag and thus higher load).

I phone Fox today and they said that in order to change the spring you must send you fork to the Fox or the distributor...seems odd. They have none of the optional negative springs in stock but expect some in April or later. Hope someone else can verify if this is true?

FWIW, fork seems to have potential for my 250 lb body but the fork tops out (sits to high) at 90+ PSI and not as good as a conventional spring fork for initial plushness as it sits.

Added:

I Phoned Fox Canada and got an even stranger response. He said there will be no negative spring but did not sound confidant in what he was saying. Instead, he said there was a warranty kit 803-00-871 to help fix top out. This only applies to initial production release. Does not fix issues for lighter riders who can 't get the fork to extend due to lower pressures.

Thanks

Last edited:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I just got off the phone with Fox. He said the same thing, I would need to send the fork to them to get a different neg spring installed.

mtdh

Chimp
Nov 11, 2013
Vancouver
Not at all. The negative spring helps set up proper ride height of the fork. If you are between 175- 215 lbs your good. Anything else you need either stiffer or lighter negative spring. The negative spring also has noticable influence on initial plushness of the in the first 2 inches of travel past sag. If you are heavier it will not be plush but less ramp up, and if your light, it will be to plush and then ramp up. FWIW, the patent for this Fox system is so old no one is still alive when it was issued... this is not new technology but added refinements.

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Hopefully mine will come a lighter spring installed since it was an EP order and there is an option for rider weight. Plus I specified that I needed a lighter spring. Moto and I both weigh 140 ish. I assume they are setup for 175-215 if you buy from an online vendor etc.

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
very weird. you would think they would just ask you to send the air piston assembly, and not the whole fork.

semi topic, never seen this pic before and i think its cool... sooooooooo

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
They would save money and time in the long run if they minimize the amount of wrenching the average e-rider does on their fork.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
True, but shipping would be a lot higher (and also a higher chance of something getting damaged during transit, lets also not get into the hypothetical world of lost packages) versus just shipping the air piston assy.. id much rather do that.

Its not like its rocket science to put it back together. I wrench on stuff super slow and i think i could get it done in under and hour:thumb:

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Shipping is nothing to them.the whole fork has to go back to them, it's the same with SRAM for warranty reasons.They might allow you to have a mechanic send just the cartridge from your lbs.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
My 40 Float came today. It has a light negative spring installed since I ordered it direct from Fox. Has anyone tried different spring curves? I am going to try to get some time on it very soon.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Does anyone have a list of negative spring colors and their correlating rates?

It's absurd that Fox aren't offering different springs for sale, and beyond that also want people to send the fork back to get it changed. Their claim that a single negative spring covers a range of rider weights is fundamentally incorrect from an engineering standpoint, and translates into practice. There can only be one negative spring rate that gives the ideal spring curve and correct positive travel amount for a given positive spring pressure.

mtdh

Chimp
Nov 11, 2013
Vancouver
Does anyone have a list of negative spring colors and their correlating rates?

It's absurd that Fox aren't offering different springs for sale, and beyond that also want people to send the fork back to get it changed. Their claim that a single negative spring covers a range of rider weights is fundamentally incorrect from an engineering standpoint, and translates into practice. There can only be one negative spring rate that gives the ideal spring curve and correct positive travel amount for a given positive spring pressure.
The spring should be available now as a kit with several other parts. Suspensionwerks ordered some about two months ago as the part numbers came available. You can order from a dealer and do not have to send in the fork. The initial release of the negative spring design has been changed and is why the kits were delayed.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The spring should be available now as a kit with several other parts. Suspensionwerks order some about two months ago as the part numbers came available.
Thanks for that. Are you aware of the actual part numbers, or a listing of them and which colors correspond to available rates? Pricing? I have an orange (it's a WC fork) which I'm positive is firmer than stock, but I want to know where in the range it lies and if there are firmer rates available.

You mentioned stock is 22 lbs/in, what color is that? I've seen green, blue, orange so far.

mtdh

Chimp
Nov 11, 2013
Vancouver
Thanks for that. Are you aware of the actual part numbers, or a listing of them and which colors correspond to available rates? Pricing? I have an orange (it's a WC fork) which I'm positive is firmer than stock, but I want to know where in the range it lies and if there are firmer rates available.

You mentioned stock is 22 lbs/in, what color is that? I've seen green, blue, orange so far.
The available negative springs I do have confirmed information on are below. Fox is not following their color code system FWIW:

(Color) @ 18 lbs/in
Blue @ 20 lbs/ in
Green @ 22 lbs/in (stock spring)
Orange @ 24 lbs/in (no yellow but it is the case)

The spring can be purchased from any authorized Fox service center such as Suspensionwerks. The spring must be installed by the service center as pre Fox dealer agreement (same deal with internal shock parts). I do believe the install is about $60. Maybe Steve M can get this? This is better than sending the fork back to the Fox distributor. The cost of the Ti spring is $10 and this is not a mistake because I asked twice.

Custom Ti springs from Renton range from 600 to 1200 USD. Custom steel spring are about 150 (qty 2) and 80 for a mandrel from Cannon Race Craft. Hope this helps.

I need a firmer rate than what is available so been looking at this.

Last edited: