Quantcast

2013 Knolly Bikes Podium

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
:rolleyes: the second chainstay actually makes some sense on the latest demos. on the knolly it really is - yo dawg, we heard you like your shock to be driven by links so we put a link on a link to drive your shock.
You comment on everything; have you rode a Podium or Status? Knolly has been making bikes for years; there have been no reliability problems and they ride great. Let it go dog.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
:rolleyes: the second chainstay actually makes some sense on the latest demos. on the knolly it really is - yo dawg, we heard you like your shock to be driven by links so we put a link on a link to drive your shock.
It makes sense because of the logo or do you find some other great reasons? Because I know many stiff bikes without a bazzilion of stays and with longer back ends.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
daisy cutter - no, i haven't ridden any of the bikes mentioned here nor am i saying they don't ride well. for the last time - i (and i don't recall anyone else) never said that any of the mentioned bikes in this thread are crap. i am only trying to point out what could be done better and what makes sense from the suspension kinematics perspective and what is marketing bollocks and excessive machining that only drives the price and complexity up.

norbar, take a look at the shock extension they added to the latest model - it's driven directly off the upper chainstays. it wasn't on the older demos. i don't think extra chainstays added any stiffness to any demo model.

i am sounding like a dick because some of you refuse to use your brain.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
knolly bikes ride great.

they have used that suspension design for 10+ years.

the podium frame in question is unchanged since 09 except for color.

what, aside from the color, is new-worthy?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
But Demo does not have seven pivots.

I like Colin Chapman way of making racing equipment, keep it as light and simple as possible.
Four pivots is still alright, seven is overkill in my opinion even if the actual bike rides well.
By your counting methods then, the Demo has 6 pivots, not 4.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
norbar, take a look at the shock extension they added to the latest model - it's driven directly off the upper chainstays. it wasn't on the older demos. i don't think extra chainstays added any stiffness to any demo model.
You do realize the fact that it's driven by upper stays gives you minimal advantage. I'd have to say I think more people would benefit from an uphillable dh bike with an uninterupted steattube than that small change on the demo.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
By your counting methods then, the Demo has 6 pivots, not 4.
Care to tell where the two extra pivots are on the demo?
I'm not counting the pivot on the shock extension, because that is just replacing the conventional pivot on the shock eye, which is not usually counted.
If we are counting the shock pivots also, then yes, the Demo has 6 pivots, but the Knolly has whopping 9 of them.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
It makes sense because of the logo or do you find some other great reasons? Because I know many stiff bikes without a bazzilion of stays and with longer back ends.
Think about it, a regular FSR bike has exactly the same number of pivots. The Demo just attaches the shock to the chain stay to enable a large leverage increase uncommon in single pivots whilst also reducing CG and adding stiffness.

The Knolly really is just a yo dawg....etc as baca262 said.

PS, I was going to hurl personal abuse with my correction but I'm learning a bit of anger management here.

Also, Demo has 8 pivots; main, 2xchainstay, 2xseatstay, fsr link,2xshock=8. Knolly has 9 pivots; Main, 2xchainstay, 2xseatstay, fsr link, 4x4 link, 2xshock=9 (assuming 4x4 link of fsr link is one pivot and shock and other end of 4x4 link is concentric). Oh also, curiously, never thought about it before, but a v10/nomad has only 6 pivots. DW link bikes generally have another.

Last edited:

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I am thinking of pivots as axis of rotation, so the pivot near the dropout is one pivot in my opinion.
If you count it as two, why not count the amount of bearings instead?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I am thinking of pivots as axis of rotation, so the pivot near the dropout is one pivot in my opinion.
If you count it as two, why not count the amount of bearings instead?
I'm counting axles, because you could reason that each axle has a certain tolerance that introduces slop, adding more bearings wouldn't change this, just a school of thought. My comment wasn't really directed at anyone.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Think about it, a regular FSR bike has exactly the same number of pivots. The Demo just attaches the shock to the chain stay to enable a large leverage increase uncommon in single pivots whilst also reducing CG and adding stiffness.
As much as I think the demo is a great bike you need to stop drinking the s branded coolaid. You kinda lost me when you claimed there is an increase in leverage rate on the demo. You seriously need to read less ads. Yes demo has an nice leverage curve that some people will like, a low cg and a stiff rear end but I think you miss the irony here. There are other bikes than achieve the same (a curve they want, a low cog, a stiff rear end) without extra stays. Kinda what you accuse knolly off.

Not to mention Demo's leverage curve is nothing special and it can be done on a single pivot. Not to mention the whole shokz is low, cg is low thing is really stupid. What really affects your cornering stability is the effectife CoG of Rider + Bike. The shock is 1% of the system weight wise. Moving it a few mm down means very little. Also there are other frames with lower placed shocks.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
daisy cutter - no, i haven't ridden any of the bikes mentioned here nor am i saying they don't ride well. for the last time - i (and i don't recall anyone else) never said that any of the mentioned bikes in this thread are crap. i am only trying to point out what could be done better and what makes sense from the suspension kinematics perspective and what is marketing bollocks and excessive machining that only drives the price and complexity up.
so where are the frames you designed mr armchair engineer? or the company you founded with all your great wisdom?
last time i talked to noel he seemed to know his stuff, and he doesnt sound like a clueless douche like someone else here...

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011

ok, this my last post in this thread.

yes, i am indeed an armchair engineer. i also know wtf am i talking about. no, i have not founded any companies and i haven't designed any bikes (not yet that is but maybe, i've been considering this option. i am pretty sure i could design decent suspension action but i still don't have enough knowledge about materials and manufacturing). this is because i am currently too lazy to pursue such a career, i never had a substantial amount of money on my hands and my parents aren't filthy rich. now if you had a clue, you'd know i indeed do have a clue.

to prevent someone saying that i hate everything and think everything is crap (ppl tend to get this impression around me that i actually hate everything and only bitch and whine) there are 2 bikes that tick all the boxes in my book, decent axle path that doesn't cause perceptible pedal feedback, fsr that actually keeps the brake caliper parallel to the ground through the suspension travel and a simple straight leverage curve, all this with no excess parts (note the no excess parts bit) - the yt tues 2.0 and norco aurum. i don't really like the layout of the suspension on the tues (unnecessary complication to make the bike stand out, fortunately it does this well imo, some may hate it as much as i hate the looks of eg. kona stab) but it should do well anyways. that is how i would design a bike.

EDIT - oh yeah, this just occurred to me: i don't give a flying fvck about how long has a certain suspension design been around, that doesn't make it great and be all end all. there have been many cases of "ur doin it wrong" for years, decades, even millenia - hell, just look at christian fundamentalists!

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
But Demo does not have seven pivots.

I like Colin Chapman way of making racing equipment, keep it as light and simple as possible.
Four pivots is still alright, seven is overkill in my opinion even if the actual bike rides well.
Yeah, but Colin Chapman was also cool with his racing equipment falling apart as soon as it crossed the finish line(It was too heavy if it didn't). I don't think I'd be cool w/that.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
okaayyyyyyyy

yes, i am indeed an armchair engineer.
Yes you are

i also know wtf am i talking about.
No you don't

i have not founded any companies and i haven't designed any bikes
No, you sure have not.

i could design decent suspension action
It's not hard to design a single pivot.

i still don't have enough knowledge about materials and manufacturing). this is because
i am currently too lazy to pursue a career
You're lazy too? Your eharmony dating profile must be polarizing.

decent axle path that doesn't cause perceptible pedal feedback, fsr that actually keeps the brake caliper parallel to the ground through the suspension travel and a simple straight leverage curve, all this with no excess parts
so you like fsr... we understand this. Have you spent any time riding a large number of frames with different geometry and platforms? how about platforms using different shocks, air and coil? different dampening settings? single pivots 10 years ago with 5th elements in the rear? how about a new single pivot with a progressive air shock? The funny thing about your whole agument as to why you don't like knolly doesn't hold in any facet of the imagination other than you simply do not like it for what ever reason it may be. That's ok, there are bikes i don't like that actually ride fantasticly, I hate Cannondale now, and the new jekyll and clarymore are actually very capable bikes, but due to an old boss that had throbbing boners for cannondale, i will never look at one the same again. Knolly provides everything that you like about bikes, and actually, rides very nicely in the location where it has been designed. Have you ever been to squamish? some of the xc trails around there would make capable DH **** their padded ridding shorts.

What the hell are people complaining about? 2 extre peices of metal? and a couple bearings? who the hell cares. If the bike rides good and it obviously does, and if there is a market for it, which there seems to be. Then leave it alone, don't buy it, but don't reign in on other people's parade, most definatly not a rider owned company that has developed constantly over the last ten years, has great customer service, and was one of the last brands to have their products happily made in the U.S at sapa.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW

yes, i am indeed an armchair engineer. i also know wtf am i talking about. no, i have not founded any companies and i haven't designed any bikes (not yet that is but maybe, i've been considering this option. i am pretty sure i could design decent suspension action but i still don't have enough knowledge about materials and manufacturing). this is because i am currently too lazy to pursue such a career, i never had a substantial amount of money on my hands and my parents aren't filthy rich. now if you had a clue, you'd know i indeed do have a clue.

to prevent someone saying that i hate everything and think everything is crap (ppl tend to get this impression around me that i actually hate everything and only bitch and whine) there are 2 bikes that tick all the boxes in my book, decent axle path that doesn't cause perceptible pedal feedback, fsr that actually keeps the brake caliper parallel to the ground through the suspension travel and a simple straight leverage curve, all this with no excess parts (note the no excess parts bit) - the yt tues 2.0 and norco aurum. i don't really like the layout of the suspension on the tues (unnecessary complication to make the bike stand out, fortunately it does this well imo, some may hate it as much as i hate the looks of eg. kona stab) but it should do well anyways. that is how i would design a bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'ma chime in cuz that's the cool thing to do:

- I have never ridden any of their bikes.
- I have talked to people that have
- By their accounts, the bikes are:
--extremely well made, welds, etc.
--ride pretty well
--have some links

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
I want in too!

- I have never ridden any of their bikes.
- I have, now that I think about it, actually seen one of their bikes in real life, but that wasn't a podium.
- By my own e-accounts, the bikes are:
--better looking than the YT Tues
--equipped with moar links for attacking bears to entangle themselves and get hurt in while you can run away
--still not as much of a bear trap-looking design as the new Scott. (Canadian fail!)

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Care to tell where the two extra pivots are on the demo?
I'm not counting the pivot on the shock extension, because that is just replacing the conventional pivot on the shock eye, which is not usually counted.
If we are counting the shock pivots also, then yes, the Demo has 6 pivots, but the Knolly has whopping 9 of them.
The wheelpath of the Podium is only affected by 4 of those pivots, just like the Demo. The others are just to change shock progression and stiffen the frame, just like the Demo. If you're not going to count those pivots on the Demo, then you can't count them on the Podium, either.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
The wheelpath of the Podium is only affected by 4 of those pivots, just like the Demo. The others are just to change shock progression and stiffen the frame, just like the Demo. If you're not going to count those pivots on the Demo, then you can't count them on the Podium, either.
Alright, let's count all of them then. The Demo is still a lot simpler: 6 pivots versus 9.

I doubt the shock driving linkage does anything for the frame stiffness, but it might decrease the sideloading of the shock.
If there truly is some clever leverage curve on the Knollys that could not be achieved without the extra linkage (still doubt that one) and it really decreases the side loads, then it is a legit design in my opinion, otherwise it is just complication for complications sake.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Doesn't anyone ever say "rides WELL" anymore?

I rode a Podium once. It felt like it had a long rear. A buddy of mine LOVES his.

We manage to keep the friendship alive.

What I will say, is that they should have named it the Yo Dawg. Way cooler than Podium. I couldn't believe they held a contest and picked THAT for a name... Ah well, I'm sure Don Draper couldn't design a bike for sh!t so...

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
The heart of the Knolly line has been the FR Delirium--for which the extra link made some sense in terms of enabling the combo of uninterrupted seat tube (those were pre-dropper days) and main pivots near stiff junctions. The am Chilcotin design makes less sense--very slack STA.

The 'Podium' name seemed to have been chosen mostly to make it super clear that this FR-roots company was making a DH sled.

I haven't seen any clear engineering justification for the extra link for the DH and XC frames, which has for years led me to assume it's mainly to avoid HL patent issues.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So you can't design a non-interrupted seat tube bike without an extra link? I have one here, it's definitely not new either. The extra link was to get around the FSR patent from the beginning, no matter which bike it was attached to. BTW, the V-tach came out before the DT.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The "extra" chain stays on the demo could have been accomplished by a regular chainstay with some sort of tower to actuate the shock- instead it was done as a tubular frame to save weight. It achieves the shock actuation of a single pivot while allowing them to tune the suspension for wheel paths yaw angles, chain growth charts, pedal kickouts, or whatever they're into tuning for.

Seriously though, both bikes in question are pretty Freakin sweet from a riding standpoint...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Doesn't anyone ever say "rides WELL" anymore?

I rode a Podium once. It felt like it had a long rear. A buddy of mine LOVES his.

We manage to keep the friendship alive.

What I will say, is that they should have named it the Yo Dawg. Way cooler than Podium. I couldn't believe they held a contest and picked THAT for a name... Ah well, I'm sure Don Draper couldn't design a bike for sh!t so...
Pretty much summed up my experience.

Although my buddy things the rear end is a little too long too. Still - nailed it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The name surprised me because not much before it Point had a contest for a name and came up with exactly the same name.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I own a 09 DT and it's a fantastic bike. It has needed almost zero maintenance since day one and has years of life left no doubt. It's a pig, but will go anywhere. I have ridden all day rides to shuttle days to lift parks. I'm sure it's much more capable than I am. I love guys arguing about a suspension design they've never ridden. There is no perfect setup. Ride what you like...

On a side note, I have received some of the best customer service from a company from Knolly...

tidan

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
San Diego
The funniest thing about this thread is the long chainstay comments. 17.5 is pretty much standard.

I put my M9 in the long 17.75 setting and actually felt the bike come alive even more. The rear end actually breaks loose to a drift much easier for me. After thinking about it, I'm guessing it's due to weight transfer. (Rider weight shifted even farther forward from the rear wheel...)

I can still get the front wheel up when I need to, but I'm not riding manuals down skinnys Wade godfather style...
I totally agree! The short chainstay fad doesn't seem to be conducive to a good cornering bike....unless you like to wash your front end out and fall alot?!
I personally like the rear end to break loose fairly easily without using any rear brake. I use this to steer me thru the turn, which is much faster. Its also an awesome feeling!

I suspect the short chainstay people aren't concerned with how the bike drifts and how the front end sticks at the limits of traction, but rather seem to be solely focused on style points exiting turns front wheel up, steep jumps, and manualling.

I too do these things but have never had a problem with long chainstays. Perhaps running a little more rise in your bars would help?!

I like this frames longer downtube/reach which places your feet further from your hands strengthening your riding posture and positively affecting stability in all areas and allows you to run a shorter stem without being cramped or having to 'stinkbug', i.e. push your butt way back to regain posture/stability in your shoulders.

All too often people emphasize 'top tube', but this has little relevance in downhill since you are standing most the time....it is the position of your feet relative to your hands that is more important.

To Noel, I think you did a great job on the geo on this frame. However, I'd like to see 'longer' chainstays personally; and preferably, adjustable between 17.25" and 17.75"; perhaps a CNC'd insert that can be flipped?!?

Last edited: