Quantcast

2012 Specialized

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Imagine what kind of bike they could make if they didn't have to make bikes waterbottle compatible to appease the MBA reading dorks out there.
I know I'm not an MBA reading dork. But maybe I am a dork, since I think the bottle cage mounts are nice for a.) some light systems b.) shorter rides c.) fitting in with MBA types :D

But yeah, the frame could look nicer without the bendy tube. However, and I'm not sure if this is true, I have heard that having the tubes come into the headtube and seattube junctions at closer to a right angle is actually stronger. In fact, I kinda thought it was some bike selling BS, but maybe someone can confirm/deny this???

Meh, this one is carbon fiber, so you're probably right, it's probably all about the water bottle and resembling the aluminum version...

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Imagine what kind of bike they could make if they didn't have to make bikes waterbottle compatible to appease the MBA reading dorks out there.
Ok guy.

I rock a waterbottle on my Enduro 90% of the time. Usually accompanied by a full face and leatt brace. I like water when I climb, and dont like wearing a camelback when I descend.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Ok guy.

I rock a waterbottle on my Enduro 90% of the time. Usually accompanied by a full face and leatt brace. I like water when I climb, and dont like wearing a camelback when I descend.
I'm with you, man. I can't wait til someone finally makes a roost guard/hockey pad compatible hydration apparatus.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
That rear shock is very interesting. It looks like it has a huge negative chamber. Maybe it's like the RS Monarch dual air with a schrader valve... that would be really nice. Any other pics???

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

I use my bottle cage on my stumpy evo all the time. Any bike made to pedal should have one. If that makes me a dork, so be it, but I don't read MBA.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I am waiting for their 140mm carbon 29er. Not sure what it is called this year.
Don't think it will be called stumpjumper.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
also a lover of bottle mounts, some times you don't want to wear a pack, or on 6+ hour rides it's nice to be able to bring a large bottle with an electrolyte beverage with water in the pack.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I think my sovereign has water bottle mounts, I'd have to check. If so, it and my roadbike are the only bikes of mine that do. The best battery packs aren't shaped like water bottle mounts anymore, either. IMO, water bottles are the hydration equivalent of roadbike - derived 9mm quick release axles.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
It's a good thing the "image" of DH-wannabes is protected by the assertion of water bottles being ghey.
Water bottles aren't "ghey", they're just outdated. Do you run a seatbag and shoulder -carry pad on your bike, too? If so, I know where you can get one of those sweet cable actuated odometers, too. :weee:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I'll take water bottle mounts on my DH bike too please. I prefer not having something on my back if I can do without it, it's funny how people now see having a hydration pack as some sort of fashion accessory.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
If you can get away without using a pack in a race by running a bottle/cage you would be crazy not to.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've not used a water bottle mount in several years but, you know what? Those two, heavy unused bolts on the downtube of my trail bike really do keep me up at night. I mean, how dare bike companies cause me such a traumatic existence in the name of offering a choice to other riders...

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
the dangler and autosag. those sounds like things i hear my grandfather say after his urology appointments. will S be placing special ads in urologist waiting room publications?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've not used a water bottle mount in several years but, you know what? Those two, heavy unused bolts on the downtube of my trail bike really do keep me up at night. I mean, how dare bike companies cause me such a traumatic existence in the name of offering a choice to other riders...

I think initially the b$%^ing was about the bent downtube, which obstensibly is only there to make room for a water bottle cage.