Quantcast

2010 Deemax Ultimates

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
I know there are a lot of guys on here who aren't fans of the Deemax wheelsets due to cost, hub reliability issues of the past etc. but I am interested to try these out.

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/deemax-ultimate.106575.1.aspx

I've had great luck with my 09 Deemax wheels so I'm not worried about giving these a go. Look to be a little lighter than the 09, bladed spokes, and 2mm narrower inner rim width and of course back to yellow. Anyway, can't wait to give these a go when they become available.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
looks like they're using the CrossMax SX rim with the DeeMax hubs. Now i just wish theyd make that rim for conventional spokes

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Those are what the GT guys ran at the worlds, they're not as strong as the regular deemax's.. Pretty sure the Deemax's and the Deemax Ultimate's will both be sold next to each other, ultimates as the light race wheelset, deemax's as the everyday durable wheelset.. so if you're looking for race wheels go w/ultimates, and know that if you mess them up you're probably going to be waiting for parts for awhile.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hmmm...they look like a regular DeeMax to me. Those spokes look like the normal, steel spokes. And the SX hoop is milled differently, it does not have the "spine", like the deemax. And the SX is a 24 hole spoke hoop front and rear. So def no SX parts.

Not sure why'd you want a smaller internal width of rim. Seems like they're already on the narrow side. But overall they are a little lighter.

OH, just picked up a spare hoop for the deemax. Shop cost is $100. We won't talk about how much I had to pay. Ouch. Still waiting on spoke/nip pack and that stupid axle spacer thing they don't tell you about. Oh mavic...

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
Yeah, not to sure about the narrower part either. I love to spend stupid amounts of money on mountain bike stuff so I just as well grab a set and try em out. I don't know what it is but I really prefer my 09 deemax over my Hope Pro II/823 wheels. They just feel a little...different when riding. They seem to feel a little better in the corners and a bit better through the rocks...I dunno, maybe that's just me pretending since I paid $400 more for them! Anyway, I'm pretty easy on wheels and the trails here aren't exactly WC rough so they will probably work fine.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
still in god awful yellow, horrid...I like the look of that silver fr wheel they have...who loves this yellow color? Seriously...

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I saw that its a more narrow rim. No thanks, I'm going to get a set of DeeMax next year for race wheels and run my Hope/823s as the normal set.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yet another product that will look outdated next year. I'll put them with Boxxers on the annoying stack and stick with the classic black 521s.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
If you're looking for a crazy light set of tubeless FRO wheels, just build up a set of NoTubes Flows with Hope II's. The set will come in at or under 1800g and will 'only' set you back around $450 - $500. I've been running them all season (7 races; 30+ lift-served days), and they've been great.

--JP

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
But you have to consider the tubeless rim strip you need and the Stan's and end up with a wheelset that is as heavy as the Deemax Ultimate. And with the Deemax the weight helps to strengthen the rim which is not the case with a rim strip. Not saying that it is not a good suggestion, but I would expect the Deemax rim to be more durable. I wish Mavic would FINALLY release the 821 so you can build up a similar wheelset yourself. :rant:

If you're looking for a crazy light set of tubeless FRO wheels, just build up a set of NoTubes Flows with Hope II's. The set will come in at or under 1800g and will 'only' set you back around $450 - $500. I've been running them all season (7 races; 30+ lift-served days), and they've been great.

--JP

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
And the SX hoop is milled differently, it does not have the "spine", like the deemax.
It could be drawn from the same die and then milled differently. Pretty sure 823 rim comes out the same die as the Deemax but does not get ISM and gets different drilling, same with CMax SL and ST and 819.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
But you have to consider the tubeless rim strip you need and the Stan's and end up with a wheelset that is as heavy as the Deemax Ultimate. And with the Deemax the weight helps to strengthen the rim which is not the case with a rim strip. Not saying that it is not a good suggestion, but I would expect the Deemax rim to be more durable. I wish Mavic would FINALLY release the 821 so you can build up a similar wheelset yourself. :rant:

Do you know what stans rims are? They dont use rim strips. They use a single layer of special non-pourous tape that would tip the scales at possibly 20 grams. Considering most people use sealant with their UST set up anyway, its misleading to add that weight to one set up, and omit it from the other.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It could be drawn from the same die and then milled differently. Pretty sure 823 rim comes out the same die as the Deemax but does not get ISM and gets different drilling, same with CMax SL and ST and 819.
Ahhh...I didn't even think of that. Nice one.

:thumb:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Do you know what stans rims are? They dont use rim strips. They use a single layer of special non-pourous tape that would tip the scales at possibly 20 grams. Considering most people use sealant with their UST set up anyway, its misleading to add that weight to one set up, and omit it from the other.
Banshee is correct. The tape can't weigh more than 20g, and the sealant is optional on either setup. I ran the Flows with no sealant for weeks with no problems (until a tiny puncture in the tire - that would've easily sealed with sealant - ended a race run, and I decided to stop being such a gram-counting fruitcake).

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Banshee is correct. The tape can't weigh more than 20g, and the sealant is optional on either setup. I ran the Flows with no sealant for weeks with no problems (until a tiny puncture in the tire - that would've easily sealed with sealant - ended a race run, and I decided to stop being such a gram-counting fruitcake).
Even if it is only 20 g, it is not a structural part of the rim but still adds to the weight. And after having seen the Stan's rims I would rather rock a 821. ;)
I am trying to not run sealant with UST tires because I think a lot of the problems people report on here with Maxxis tires pinch flatting easy has to do with a weakening of the tire by the sealant. Personal opinion, I know.
And in my experience it is harder/impossible to seal a UST Maxxis tire on a Stan's rim without sealant, but really easy to seal it dry on a UST rim. So you have to run one system with sealant and the other not.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan

--JP
Friend of mine built a set of those up this year and has been running them for everyday use as well. They have held up great and seen 6 days of Whistler abuse. Granted he's pretty light but I must say considering the weight of that wheel set I am impressed. If I had the money thats what I would build for a race set for sure.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Haha, pinch flatting from the sealant? I've only ever run my maxxis dh tires ghetto tubeless with Stans, and never flatted so long as the sealant hadn't dried up. Brilliant parry to the smackdown about the extra weight of the rimstrip, though. :p

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
looks like they're using the CrossMax SX rim with the DeeMax hubs. Now i just wish theyd make that rim for conventional spokes
absolutely. mavic seriously needs to build an 821ust rim. something lighter that the 823 / burlier than the 819. the sx rim with a 32 hole drilling would be perfect. you listening mavic??

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
absolutely. mavic seriously needs to build an 821ust rim. something lighter that the 823 / burlier than the 819. the sx rim with a 32 hole drilling would be perfect. you listening mavic??
+1 more

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Haha, pinch flatting from the sealant? I've only ever run my maxxis dh tires ghetto tubeless with Stans, and never flatted so long as the sealant hadn't dried up.
Seen this?

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=41079

Makes you wonder if something happens even if you don't see it on the outside. ;) Maybe the combination of a stiff rim (823) + bad batch of tire + sealant = higher chance of pinch flats?

If I haven't mentioned it yet:

+ 1 for a 821! :D

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Never had this happen to any Maxxis, Kenda or Michelin tire all run with stans the last five years. Only time I have problems is when I run to low tire pressure and it can happen on brand new tire.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Seen this?

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=41079

Makes you wonder if something happens even if you don't see it on the outside. ;) Maybe the combination of a stiff rim (823) + bad batch of tire + sealant = higher chance of pinch flats?

If I haven't mentioned it yet:

+ 1 for a 821! :D
Cane Creeks MTB wheelsets were notorious for being so stiff that they had zero flex and could actually cause a tire to pop off the bead under a talented rider. I personally watched it happen to Herndon more than once. I have a few buddies who bought their Duros all mountain wheels when they closed them out and they say the wheels are stiffer than bricks. So yeah...I might buy that theory.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Stan's yellow tape weighs 5g per tire btw. Well, at least according to Stan.

I just built up a set of Flows on Kings, 1910g I used yellow tape then a Ghetto strip for extra solid sealing (20" tube)

Flows sure are light! I read through the thread on here and most people are having no problems. They still say "race only" to me though.

Krispy

Oh, we here at Go-Ride have decided that Ghetto Tubeless is too derogatory of a name for such a great setup. We started calling it Pro Tubeless. But Pro tubeless might be too much, so we decided US Pro Tubeless was more appropriate.