Quantcast

2010 Boxxer Race oil weights

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Anybody out there try different oil weights in a Boxxer Race? My buddies is super harsh even with a soft spring. I'm thinking he should try lighter oil to take some of the harshness out of it.

He did buy it used and this is the first time he's taken it apart so it may just need a good rebuild.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
Anybody out there try different oil weights in a Boxxer Race? My buddies is super harsh even with a soft spring. I'm thinking he should try lighter oil to take some of the harshness out of it.

He did buy it used and this is the first time he's taken it apart so it may just need a good rebuild.
playing with oil weights is one option.

try removing the largest shim out of the damper stack.

that should help remove the harshness through the stroke.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
playing with oil weights is one option.

try removing the largest shim out of the damper stack.

that should help remove the harshness through the stroke.
Largest as in the the thickest?

I've never monkeyed with a shim stack before. I assume you remove the thickest one and keep them in order when you put it back together?

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
Largest as in the the thickest?

I've never monkeyed with a shim stack before. I assume you remove the thickest one and keep them in order when you put it back together?

na, they're all .15mm thick.

largest, as in largest diameter. oil has to push past shims, and they bend slightly to allow oil flow. removing the largest shim will decrease the restriction, and make it plusher.

i actually have a thread with detailed pics on this a few pages back, just search my sn.

there are also other suggestions in it on how to improve the RC/race fork that involves modding the damper (which i took pics of), and others. :thumb:

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I wouldn't be sure removing the shim is always necessary. I have stock 2011 Boxxer RC which feels surprisingly good without any modifications. I even use a few clicks of low speed compression damping without any excessive harshness.
Wouldn't removing the largest shim allow too much oil to flow in low speed compression situations, making the fork dive badly?

Of course removing the shim might be an answer for the original poster, which has problems with harshness. But first I'd try different weight oil and reducing friction by changing also the lubing oils.