Quantcast

2010 boxxer problems

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I noticed the other day that the black bottom out knob on my 2010 Boxxer turns really easily. When I say easily, I mean it will almost spin when I turn it. The spring isn't rattling. Is it time for a new spring?

Also, my top crown keeps coming loose. The clamp bottoms on itself and I can't seem to get it tight enough. Is it time for a Hope crown?

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
I noticed the other day that the black bottom out knob on my 2010 Boxxer turns really easily. When I say easily, I mean it will almost spin when I turn it. The spring isn't rattling. Is it time for a new spring?

Also, my top crown keeps coming loose. The clamp bottoms on itself and I can't seem to get it tight enough. Is it time for a Hope crown?
There are two set screws in the bottom out knob and it sounds like they are loose. 1.5 mm allen wrench will do it. As to the crown coming loose, if it were me I'd loosen up everything and tighten it back up to the correct torque, meaning I'd use a torque wrench. Other than that I'd take it to a competent bike shop and get it checked out.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Sounds like your bolt threads are stripped. Bolt torque is 5 nm on the upper and lower pinch bolts. Beotch-Low oil in the lowers would not cause the 2.5mm set screws on the bottom out knob or the crown pinch bolts to loosen.Kntr-just call sram and talk to a warranty tech, best warranty people in the industry.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I called Rock Shox.

Crown clamps are stretched and bottom out before they get tight enough... not stripped. I need a new upper crown.

The spring needs to be replaced. Its a couple years old, so its not as tall as it was. The knob just turns real easy. It still stops when turned. It just spins real easy. Time for a new spring.