Quantcast

2010/2011 Boxxer team preload question.....

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
wondering if anyone can de-mystify things for me here....

i've been running a 2011 boxxer team and i love it...i'm about 180 and run a medium spring...it's a smidge on the soft side and i have noticed an inch or two of unnecessary up and down movement when just lifting up and down on the bars....kind of hard to describe, but just the weight of the bike loads the suspension by almost an inch.....soooooooo my question is this:

the old boxxers came with nylon preload spacers to fine tune between spring rates....do the new ones come with them?? or an i just grab some nylon washers from the plumbing section at a hardware store, mod them to fit, and throw them in??

if anyone has any experience with this i'd love for them to chime in

thanks in advance,
IC

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They do have preload spacers (3 or 4 if I remember correctly). All of them would be installed when you get the fork new. Pop open the spring side and have a look. If you got the fork used, there may not be any in there. If there's slop in the spring that's the obvious problem. Put some in or add more.

There's a top out spring in there somewhere too. I don't remember if it's under the rebound damper piston or under the spring but it sounds like it's overpowering your normal spring. A full inch is a little excessive. Mine sagged a good bit too but I don't think it was a full inch.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
thanks kevin, that's exactly what i needed to know....i got the fork "new" sort of :) ....it didn't come with a box and it didn't have the spacers in the fork, so i'll have to get a LBS to order a few....i'm glad there's nothing wrong and it's an easy solution...

IC