Quantcast

2009 Fox 40 Damper changes

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
howdy

i sent my 2006 fox 40 in for a service a few days ago but the area where the pinch bolts are is cracked so I have to buy new lowers, which got me thinking about upgrading it to the 2009 version (damper+lowers+top crown)

they said they can make the fork feel more like a 2009 with the service package but i am a pessimist and love new stuff so I'm uncertain.

the damper is rather expensive (260+gbp) where as a service is 70gbp, and i'm pretty sure they cant change THAT much in those years, it felt pretty good already.

what i'm asking is, is it worth paying for the new damper? with new lowers and top crown it's coming into a rather expensive service already.

thanks

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
if you can afford that £260 extra, go for it man. its a totally different fork.

think they have to change the stanchions too coz the 09 ones are about 15mm shorter.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
the new damper is light years ahead of the old one....i put myself in some scary situations yesterday, and couldn't believe how well that fork performed compared to the 08 one....if you can afford to get the new cartridge, DO IT!

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
just got off the phone with Fox CS and i was told the 09 dampner was not worth the $355 to put it in an 08. so i guess just a rebuild would do? love the fork it just needs rebuilt.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
doubt they have an aftermarket damper, i had a friend back home upgrade his, the fox tech had to do some mix and matching to get it to work. something along the lines of using the old damper shaft with everything else from the 09 cart.

you might want to check with tf again... they might not be doing the work, some of their fox stuff needs to be done by mojo. drop mojo an email.

i doubt fox would want everyone going off buying 09 carts instead of getting brand new 09 40s wont they?

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
^^ ahh, which makes it really different then just flat out not worth the money isn't it?
well i could take the $350 and put toward something else. unless its going to make me go "wow this fork is COMPLETELY different" i'll save the money.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Ronan - Tim is a straight shooter, if he says it is worth it - do it. If he says that he can get the feel right there wihtout the new damper, then he can.
It'll feel better than your old fork anyway....

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
i've been looking at my money for next year and i dont think i can afford the new damper. and its coming in at 350 euros.

i think i'm going to ask them to make the old damper feel better and just get the new lowers/top crown. and buy a torque meter so i don't tighten those pinch bolts too much again.

thanks for the opinions guys

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ronan - there is not real point to the new top crowns unless you want to run direct mount. and as for the pinch bolts, just use the short end of an allen key to tighten them. and if there is no gap visible, you have it to tight. think the 08 and 09 ones have a metal shim in there, so pretty much impossible to over tighten them.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
ronan - there is not real point to the new top crowns unless you want to run direct mount. and as for the pinch bolts, just use the short end of an allen key to tighten them. and if there is no gap visible, you have it to tight. think the 08 and 09 ones have a metal shim in there, so pretty much impossible to over tighten them.
i'm pretty interested in getting a direct mount top crown, i woundnt bother with it otherwise

i ran a sunline v1 am stem for this season and hated how the slighest touch made it come out of alignment (even after tightening properly). i'm sure theres other stems what have a better grip to the steerer tube but they might not match the gray on my handlebars!

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
The only thing's they have changed on the 09' fork is the valving specs and the taper of the bladder.

The reason the new fox stuff feels great is because they finally added some damping.

The compression stack in the new 40r (which is the one you want, slightly more face shim stiffness than the rc2 stack) is:

16.6x0.1
15.5x0.15
13.5x0.15
9.6x0.25

I run my 36vanr with a slightly lighter stack than this but with a custom lower compression bolt so there is no bypass hole (ie every bit of oil goes through the stack). I think I might go to a heavier face shim though.

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
the lsc needle doesn't close off the lsc port fully even at the max setting.
Really sure on that ?

I'm not.. The last time I rebuilt my Fox I saw it and didn't do anything to try it my opinion, but I think that it close full the port.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Dilzy do you think you were still getting bypass with the LSC turned tright in? I couldn't see how when I modded mine?
The LSC needle does fully close off the port, but I have 36r's, so I'm stuck with one setting and I'd like to have everything controlled by the stack, no bypass.

The 40rc2's I had I was gradually building up the stack, but I needed very thick shims and they are bloody next to impossible to find in 7mm ID. When you give the part numbers for the 09' shims to Netti, they don't even know what you are talking about. Absolutely useless.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Really sure on that ?

I'm not.. The last time I rebuilt my Fox I saw it and didn't do anything to try it my opinion, but I think that it close full the port.
my bad then, last few clicks on my cart must have been gritty or something.