Quantcast

2009/10 Giant Prototype

May 13, 2008
The Bay.
I have a 2008 glory.
It rips! It feels like a tank when rolling through boulder sections or steep drops and chutes.
They low center of weight keeps the bike very flickable.
The new version looks to shed some weight(like the Reigns) but to say they are ripping off a sunday is a far stretch.
Maestro is a DW type system but the two versions ride night and day different.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I have a 2008 glory.
It rips! It feels like a tank when rolling through boulder sections or steep drops and chutes.
They low center of weight keeps the bike very flickable.
The new version looks to shed some weight(like the Reigns) but to say they are ripping off a sunday is a far stretch.
Maestro is a DW type system but the two versions ride night and day different.
Completely agree, i had both, on the 08 glory now, and it rides completely different, but just as good. Just depends if u like it the M way or the DW way..

But i liked the look of the glory out now, they could have saved some weight on that, and not gone down the look of IH so much.. The glory now does look quite original...:biggrin:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
UPDATE: giant riders amiel and jared were both on the 08's this past weekend at the US Open. still on the same blue/white color scheme. i was talkin to amiel and he said that the new frame is most likely gonna come out in 2010. so seems like the black/blue frames that were floating around are the 09's.

:spam:anyone lookin to buy a large 08 glory complete? im gonna sell mine and get a medium :spam:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
man thats sweet. Its seriously been sticking to the slimfast plan and it looks all the better for it. Not a huge fan of the glory but i like that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hmmmm spec'd with a BOS on the back end... and I remember reading the other day that BOS is offering a model of their rear damper specifically tuned for DW-link bikes.... :clue:

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
What is it with the freakin seats that they put on their prototypes? I remember seeing some other Giant prototype a while ago, and it had exactly the same strange looking seat.
That is Oscar Saiz's bike and he has used those seats for years and he rides for Giant and BOS.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
hmmmm spec'd with a BOS on the back end... and I remember reading the other day that BOS is offering a model of their rear damper specifically tuned for DW-link bikes.... :clue:
Ok, for real though, serious question...

I know the DW-Link and VPP bikes, FSR etc... all have different patenents. Doesn't suspension's designs wheel path's vary? Like, isn't a shock tuned to a bikes wheel path? I'm a little confused. Thanks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok, for real though, serious question...

I know the DW-Link and VPP bikes, FSR etc... all have different patenents. Doesn't suspension's designs wheel path's vary? Like, isn't a shock tuned to a bikes wheel path? I'm a little confused. Thanks.
Its the compression ratio of the shock (i2i & stroke) as the suspension cycles through its travel that determines how a shock needs to be tuned. Wheel path has doesn't directly affect compression ratio.

Edit: what I mean is that 2 bikes can have similar compression ratios and differing wheel paths.

What I was trying to imply was that we're seeing a Giant Prototype with DW looking linkage with BOS suspension not long after BOS announced a DW-tuned rear shock. Combine this with the fact that there's going to be a new company for 2009 (or was it 2010?) being the big name company licensing the DW-link instead of Ironhorse. If you can't add 1 + 1 at this point well...

:bonk:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
so....being a glory so much cheaper than a sunday right now....let's e-spectulate about this new glorious monday-frame's price tag.
considering the new norco team Dh will be 7100 and the sunday WC was 6999 this year, id say for the complete around 6000-6300 depending on specs

and the new 88 frame was like something crazy like 4 k, and the m6 is like that with ccdb and ti spring, so maybe this can break the 3000 mark frame only

who knows

bikes is gettin mucho expensive

Last edited:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
so glad i decided to wait till next season to get a bike, so it wont be that trashed and i can sell it to get that beast!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sweet, giant has a new higher-CG bike for everybody that's too freaked out by the lower-center-of-gravity designs they've had recently. Good thing they listened to the public.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think they were trying to lose somewhere around 2 lbs. I'm ok with moving the shock up slightly and losing 2 lbs of weight, and I have one.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
That thing looks so DW linkish haha, it looks like the IC path is slightly different however, lower and farther back more akin to Maestro, and won't have the same squat curve - no DW like i guess?

Has it been "revealed" who will be the recipient of the DW link for DH next year yet?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
yeah, you guys are really onto something....first off......

they had to change their first glory because it infringed upon DW link patents back in the day....i know a gay dude that rides one of the original prototypes......

second....if they were working with dave wouldn't they be running a different brand of guide????? come on guys?....i'm not ruling it out but i doubt this is going to be the new dw.link licsencee

maestro was always a dw link knock off....i doubt they are going to give dave credit(and money) and rebrand their entire FS line.....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
taken from the other duplicate thread

Unfortunately this is not a licensed dw-link bike, and I had nothing to do with the design.

As this point it's gotten blatant and ridiculous. It's certainly not fair, but what in life is. We have to keep believing that the system does what it is supposed to and things are righted eventually. I'm a firm believer in karma, so..
looks like giant is not the one the dw link will be going to. bummer for dw. If it was dw I would be buying one instead of a jedi next year, as its not, even if its an exact duplicate of dw, I wont be buying one, dw looks like he's getting railed.

Guess we'll see what happens.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
yeah, you guys are really onto something....first off......

they had to change their first glory because it infringed upon DW link patents back in the day....i know a gay dude that rides one of the original prototypes......

second....if they were working with dave wouldn't they be running a different brand of guide????? come on guys?....i'm not ruling it out but i doubt this is going to be the new dw.link licsencee

maestro was always a dw link knock off....i doubt they are going to give dave credit(and money) and rebrand their entire FS line.....
As far as the MRP guide on that bike, that bike belongs to a rider, the rider is probably sponsored by MRP and forbidden from using anything else. I'm sure a company test bike would have an e.13 guide on it if in fact there is some connection between DW and Giant.

Regarding the second point, couldn't Giant pay Dave the licensing fees (or buy the design outright) and simply continue to call it Maestro? At that point, couldn't they call it whatever they wanted to?...

I'm not saying I believe the hype necessarily but I don't think your points disprove the hype reliably.

Either way, the new Glory proto looks really nice and owning a Maestro bike and knowing how well the design works, I assume this new bike will ride really well too.