Quantcast

2007 brooklyn's on Grindstate

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
www.grindstate.com

I cant link directly to the Brooklyn's, but they're a couple pages in as of now. Looks pretty sweet. New slopestyle bike, sweet fixie, and an Anson Wellington signature frame. Looks bangin if ya ask me.

Post up some pics if you find some to link to.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
God that site blows.

It's good to see they're still making quality stuff. Anson's ride is looking slick.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Thanks Nate.

I actually like the site a lot, its just a bit different. Reads like a magazine.

Anson's bike looks awesome.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think the site is cool and not like any other site but the designer has more navigation coming soon I read.

The new track bike is super hot and would be perfect for the riding I do in the city.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
hey i thought the site was great, best "magazine" feel i had ever seen.

the beater bike i just thought was super, dont think the duo matic hub will be up to much hardcore use though. (can already smell the brake)

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the Trackbike. Talk about a bandwagon move! That and it looks like dog's ass.:greedy: :greedy:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
thats no track bike?

cant see anything track about it save for it being a hardtail with 700c wheels, i mean, its got gears, brake, flat bar, and big tires?

am i missing something here?
exactly! But they call it the Gangster Track.

I know they were floating the GT around before Doc left, beyond that I know nothing (and thats only because a die-hard brooklyn fan swung by the LBS with a GT over a year ago (I hated it then too:monkey:))

edit: My contention is that BMW is jumping into a segment of the fixed/mess bicycle sub-culture that they've traditionally ignored entirely. Now that trackbikes and other fixed gear rigs are vastly more popular than they were a year ago, BMW's move, from my perspective is bandwagoning. Also, everything about that bike has nothing to do with riding/racing track.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
So Ape you are saying they should not produce bikes the market is asking for?
If it is not something that they've produced historically, then no, I don't think they should. Should they make a 29er too?

I'm upset enough that the 'slope' bike doesn't use their standard dual chain set-up...:monkeydance:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
They've built a few road, track and cx frames for people in the past. I'll bet they've been hit for a ton of requests for a track frame lately. There are plenty dorksters around here would love to pose outside Lakeside Lounge on a BMW track bike.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
So because a company has not produced something historically they can't move on - that's a management theory I didn't run into in business school and I totally disagree.

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I rock that gangster bike around Copenhagen, looks like a perfect bike to get you home from after a night on the town. Looks a lot like the new swobo bike. Mmmm clean lines.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cannondale was an unrelated diversification.

BMW producing a new bike is a natural extension of an existing product line.

Two very different scenarios.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i imagine pharrell williams part ownership has something to do with the expansion of the brand / push towards larger / more lucrative market segments.

(though a bit heavy) i prefer the design of the old minilink over the new ss. cool little frame:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Anyone else think its lame that the ACL doesnt have disc tabs? I understand its a street bike and such, but having to run rim brakes means you're limited in the wheels you can run.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i imagine pharrell williams part ownership has something to do with the expansion of the brand / push towards larger / more lucrative market segments.

(though a bit heavy) i prefer the design of the old minilink over the new ss. cool little frame:

dude, the minilink was dope!:clapping:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Cannondale was an unrelated diversification.

BMW producing a new bike is a natural extension of an existing product line.

Two very different scenarios.
I would argue the opposite. It made perfect sense for Cannondale to enter MX. Why not? With the exception of the engine and the transmission they already had tons of experience in building bicycles. Of course they fouled it up and the rest is history.

Now, i should point out that that’s not anywhere close to what I see befalling BMW. My issue is that BMW is a brand that went about growing in a very quiet and consistent manner over the last 10+ years (I don't know exactly how long they've been in business, but I suspect its closer to 15+). Very clearly, BMW was not about yielding profits but instead construction quality 'for-life' products. They followed their vision, 75lbs DH monsters to Race-Links to the Mini-Link to the Park Bike. While I don’t doubt that they might have fabbed CX bikes and other thing in the past, they never released them to the public. BMW has been consistent.

Today though the management team is different and we’re seeing BMW evolve into a more marketable/bottomline oriented company. You can expect to see more ‘collabs’ like SupremeXBrooklynMW and things like that. You can also expect some of the past earmarks of what made a BMW a BMW to disappear. That is what I decry.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Anyone else think its lame that the ACL doesnt have disc tabs? I understand its a street bike and such, but having to run rim brakes means you're limited in the wheels you can run.
you got sun rims, atomlab, halo...and even more hub choices with all the bmx co's. what more can you ask for? they still have the park bike for discs.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
grindstate is still a work in progress. should have better nav soon. you can't argue with their content though, best bike checks and product showcases around.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
You can also expect some of the past earmarks of what made a BMW a BMW to disappear. That is what I decry.
but not really surprising. doc was responsible for the design of the flagship bikes & i believe, to a great extent, the 'corporate ideology' (semi tongue in cheek). now that he's moved on, the company is a new entity. i'm really hoping we'll see some new stuff from chris in the future. a talented designer with a unique perspective.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
but not really surprising. doc was responsible for the design of the flagship bikes & i believe, to a great extent, the 'corporate ideology' (semi tongue in cheek). now that he's moved on, the company is a new entity. i'm really hoping we'll see some new stuff from chris in the future. a talented designer with a unique perspective.
yup, can't wait.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The gangsta track is like a pimp version of one of the new Swobo bikes.

This is not just another hipster track bike, this is something of a new breed. For one thing, it ain't a fixed gear. :lighten:

Anyway, I think it's silly to call out a company as innovative as BMW for making that bike. Mainly because they probably don't care what you think about whether they are "keeping it real." They are building bikes and as far as I know, you are not. I wonder how many naysayers showed up when they first made the racelink? Should they have listened?

Criticizing them for trying to turn a profit is also pretty lame, it's a business and in case you don't know, there is not such a huge market for 60 pound DH bikes. (There never was a big market, but they could get away with it for a while. The trend is now toward much lighter rigs.)

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
The gangsta track is like a pimp version of one of the new Swobo bikes.

This is not just another hipster track bike, this is something of a new breed. For one thing, it ain't a fixed gear. :lighten:

Anyway, I think it's silly to call out a company as innovative as BMW for making that bike. Mainly because they probably don't care what you think about whether they are "keeping it real." They are building bikes and as far as I know, you are not. I wonder how many naysayers showed up when they first made the racelink? Should they have listened?

Criticizing them for trying to turn a profit is also pretty lame, it's a business and in case you don't know, there is not such a huge market for 60 pound DH bikes. (There never was a big market, but they could get away with it for a while. The trend is now toward much lighter rigs.)
Oh man, you never fail to amaze me as an argumentative misanthrope.

First off, they didn’t make the Race-link until sometime in the last 5-7 years. Before that it was the Big-Link and the TMX before that. Do you remember the Supertrucker? The Rubber Ducky? When they started, making 70lbs bikes that ran on 3.0 24” tires was what people where striving towards.

Please tell your care-takers that you've exceeded your internet time for the week.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Oh man, you never fail to amaze me as an argumentative misanthrope.
Hahaha, funny, I didn't think you cared. I was giving an opinion, not arguing with you.

Anyway, congrats, you know more about the specific models they made/make. Doesn't change anything about what I said. BMW is evolving with the times, and as I understand it the main designer is gone. Do you expect them to keep making the same bikes forever?

What are you afraid of or upset about? That someone might associate one of your rides with a track bike? Why do you care so much?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Hahaha, funny, I didn't think you cared. I was giving an opinion, not arguing with you.

Anyway, congrats, you know more about the specific models they made/make. Doesn't change anything about what I said. BMW is evolving with the times, and as I understand it the main designer is gone. Do you expect them to keep making the same bikes forever?

What are you afraid of or upset about? That someone might associate one of your rides with a track bike? Why do you care so much?
my point was that you're weighing in with an opinion when you have about 35% of the picture. I really hope you're only 15.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Nope, 36. Are you going to articulate your problem with what I said or are you just going to hurl more weak insults?
Check your reading comprehension dingus, I'm not going to re-iterate all this nonsense because you suffer from 'lazy'.