Quantcast

2006 Boxxer Team Vs Fox 40

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I am debating between these 2 forks for this upcoming season..I cam coming from a Dorado which I loved but wanted something new.
Looking for real riding experience on both of these forks. Weight diff after I have to change to the heavier springs in the Fox is slight so not a concern. Performance, durability and maintenance wise looking for some feedback. Will be only for dh ridign and occasional racing..not hucking stuff

Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
what about 888? I would think it is better choice if racing is not an issue.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
auntesther said:
I am debating between these 2 forks for this upcoming season..I cam coming from a Dorado which I loved but wanted something new.
Looking for real riding experience on both of these forks. Weight diff after I have to change to the heavier springs in the Fox is slight so not a concern. Performance, durability and maintenance wise looking for some feedback. Will be only for dh ridign and occasional racing..not hucking stuff

Thanks
Well we just started getting them in at the shop, but I can tell you the the new boxxer team feels as smotth and nice out of the box as any other fork I have felt, and everyone else thats ridden it around agrees. I rode an 05 team this past year and will be riding an 06 this year. The 40 is great obviously and will probably a tad stiffer. What it comes down to for me is the price difference. Is the 40 better? Maybe. Is it 700 dollars better? No way. Get the boxxer. The new maxle is pretty rad too, only need one wrench to get your wheel off.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Weight should be around the same. Price I would think the Team is a lot cheaper. Performance is difficult because only a few people has ridden the Boxxer and the same goes for duarbility. Service - to my knowledge its easier to work on the Boxxer than the Fox. Looks - well thats a personal thing. What is imporant to you?

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
not interested in the 888.

price...not a huge concern ( I have saved up and both are within my range)...looks? well if I could get a white one looks would be important but as I cant, not important. One concern is overall height ( I currently have a Dorado and love the geometry with it) and I like how it doesnt dive excessively under braking.

can someone briefly explain the kind of maintenance I could expect on a Fox 40?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Maintenance on fox 40.... I did none all last season (besides check bolts, clean fork legs with rag), fork was in perfect shape at the end of the season when I had it rebuilt by fox.

The carts are sealed, so contaminating the oil is basically impossible. If you want, you can change the 40cc of lube oil in the leg.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
Transcend said:
Maintenance on fox 40.... I did none all last season (besides check bolts, clean fork legs with rag), fork was in perfect shape at the end of the season when I had it rebuilt by fox.

The carts are sealed, so contaminating the oil is basically impossible. If you want, you can change the 40cc of lube oil in the leg.
are the carts charged with nitrogen like a rear shock and may require a recharge or simply bled and sealed like on my Dorado?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I rode a 2005 DH40 last season and I am now on a 2006 Boxxer team this season. THe 40 was amazing, you won't hear anything but great things about the fork, but the price really is pretty steep. The weight is almost exactly the same to be honest. With the Ti spring the 40 was 6.8 as everyone says and honestly my boxxer was right on that with uncut steerer and axle. Feel wise they are incredibly similar. They feel really smooth, with sort of a bounciness but still with more control than an 888. Not as controlled as a Dorado(rode that the year before the 40) but in a good way I would say. As far as stiffness, I really can't tell a difference. The 40 was incredibly stiff but the boxxer really isn't noticeably far behind. The Maxle system ROCKS and for the money the boxxer team CANT be beat. The 40 does have external preload and the boxxer doesn't but other than that it spot on. If money isn't an issue why not go with a Boxxer World Cup? Im almost wishing I would have just because of the easy air adjustment and not having to jack with different springs.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
auntesther said:
are the carts charged with nitrogen like a rear shock and may require a recharge or simply bled and sealed like on my Dorado?
No they don't really require anything of that sort. I didn't have to do jack with mine all season, thats hitting up about 15 races last season, plus a few riding trips. I put TONS of hours on my 40 and it was great. I sold it at the end of the year and by then Im sure it could have used a service but I let the guy who bought it deal with that. Plus if you do race and Fox is there they will take care of just about anything. At Deervalley, I Dented my compression cap on a rock so hard that it wouldn't thread off and fox spent about an hour hacking and sawing to get it off. They gave me a brand new one which was really cool, for no charge.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
I've been on the 06 Team for a couple months now and have no complain on the fork. The feel is very smooth and very comparable to the Fox 40 that some of my friends are running. I have to say that the Fox 40 seems a bit more linear but you can have the fork tune by Fox to make it more progressive. Maintenance wise, you can do everything pretty much by yourself on the boxxer.

PS. My 06 Team spring is a little noisy but not as bad as previous year's boxxer.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
i love my forty, it has the hi lo compression, external preload and reb.
i havent done any maintneince except get the rx2 cart from my r because the r was too linear. works terrific for me, i think it looks better than the boxxer, but that dosent realy matter. it just comes down to its easier to maintain. all the boxxers ive felt feel like poo, now im gonna get flamed, but thats my honest opinion, rock shox feel llike they have rocks in the lowers that grind with thestnanions oil and make that wierd noise and feeling.
i make no sence

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
I love my 40 and its durability, stiffness, and adjustability. I have had boxxers in the past and they were nowhere as durable. It seams as though I blew my boxxer up ever weekend. The 40 is much more reliable in my opinion and as Transcend said, very low maintantence as well.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
The work done for keep up on the Fox 40 is less then that of the team. The team feels just as nice as the fox, and has a little more adjustment then the 40 you are gettign whitch im assuming is the 40 R

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
SXtrailrider said:
The work done for keep up on the Fox 40 is less then that of the team. The team feels just as nice as the fox, and has a little more adjustment then the 40 you are gettign whitch im assuming is the 40 R
no it would be the RC2.

I have a 36VAN RC2 on my trail bike and from hearing the reviews of the 36's in general I was prepared to be blown away. Its good...very good but I havent been floored by it as I was expecting to so I dont know if I really can justify the price diff between the Team and the 40 if both feel pretty nice and similar in ride( as seems to be the case)