Quantcast

2006 boxxer problem

TNash1757

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
I am not getting the full travel from my Boxxer Team. I have a soft spring in and even with the compression off the fork feels like it bottoms out about an inch and a half before it should. Anyone know how I could fix this?

Shepherdwong

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
I weigh 190 and run a soft with 2 thin preload spacers. Depending on your riding style you may want to try an extra soft spring.:brows:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
No, he's talking about something else. I would call RS and ask. I know what you're talking about. It's like the fork totally locks up before it should bottom.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Why don't you try and take the spring off the left leg and compress the fork without the spring. If you're still not getting 8" of travel then there is something wrong inside the fork.

TNash1757

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
I took the spring out and fully compressed it. Where it stops there is 2 inches between the dust seal and the lower crown. It feels like it is stopped by something hard if that helps. I am only getting about 5 1/2 inches of travel before it hits this spot.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
take your cartridges out and see whitch one is messed up, then lok to see if you can fix or send it to RS and check to see if your stanchions are bent

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
on the spring side? cant be the damper can it?
Both, the newer boxxers are a sealed cart, all the oil is contained in the upper legs, the lowers are just air and 30mls of oil for lube.

It seems when the boxxers are new the oil seals do a good job of keeping the air in. Some people have this issue, some don't.

TNash1757

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
thanks for all the help. I think the problem was that there was too much oil that had made its way into the lowers from the motion control. When I emptied the lowers I was able to get the fork to fully compress.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That wasn't WHY it solved your problem.

As Cave Dweller covered, the motion control damper is sealed inside the stanchion. If any oil leaked into the lowers the damper seals would have failed (as in, it can't happen otherwise). Also, because the damping oil is sealed, there needs to a seperate amount of oil in the lowers just for lubrication - so if you emptied the oil from the lowers, i'd suggest getting some back in there or you will accelerate bushing and seal wear. (15ml per leg is the required dose afaik).

The reason it let your fork compress fully after removing the lowers was because there must have been a fair amount of air buildup in the lowers, ramping up and stopping you from using full travel.

The general solution for this is to flip the fork upside down, undo the footnuts halfway, tap them with a mallet to break the seal and let air out, compress the fork to halfway or a little more, and retighten the bolts while holding it at that point.

Just thought i'd explain it properly in case someone else has the same problem. :)