Quantcast

2004 V10 frustrations!

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
:confused: I've spent a total for 4 hours trying to identify 2 problems, or annoyances, on my wife's V10 to no avail.

First issue is the rear hayes brake causes enough noise and vibration that it's almost offensive to other riders (the noise thing anyways). I've replaced the pads, swapped the entire rear wheel and rotor and aligned the caliper ten times and it's changed nothing. I'm at my wits end! Other than swapping the entire brake with the rear hayes from her Bullit I don't know what else to do. Should I try a 6" rotor? Is this simply frame vibration? :confused:

BTW, her V10 has the standard QR rear, not the 150 mm thru axle.

Second issue is up front and is one of those disheartening clicking sounds around the headtube/headset area. She's got a 2002 Super T and I've read here that there is a known issue with these forks fully extended. It just sounds too much like a HS issue that I'm going to suck it up and buy a CK right after Mt. Snow this weekend. Got an FSA now since it was much cheaper and I was a little concerned when I installed it at how easily it slid into the headtube, probably could have done it without the HS press. If memory serves a CK HS is slightly oversized so it should press in tighter.

Any ideas, it's frustrating to build a brand new DH bike up and have such issues.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just FYI, CK headsets aren't oversized. However, they keep slightly oversized (read: out of spec) headsets and will sell them to you if you want one.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Make sure all the bolts are tight on the rear end, and swap the entire brake system (caliper, rotor, pads) with a brake that works fine on another bike. If it still sqeals, its something on your setup on the V10 or the frame. Oh, get the brake mounts faced too. Most shops should have something like the Hope Spot facing tool.

The FSA slid in almost without a press??? That is something that would concern me a lot.

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
For your rear brake issue, sounds like either the caliper is somehow warped (unlikely) or the brake mounts on the drop out are not aligned. The second problem is fix-able. A shop should have a brake mount facing tool to true it up. I've found this is usually the fix when all else fails. I've been on Hopes for many years and they were always prone to squealing unless the planets where aligned. Facing the mounts would always solve the problem.

I'm on a small V10 with Hopes this year and have had no problems (same set-up as yours, QR, non-floater). Hope this helps.

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
I don't think its just your v10. My buddys v10 makes that same noise in the rear, and hes got xt brakes thats if its the obnoxious high pitch screaking noise. On the fork have u tried to look for any hair line fractures on the lower crown. On my old supert I had a hair line fracture on the inside of my crown that made a little noise.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
It sounds as though a spec that mfg. don't list on their websites that needs to be there is decibels. There are currently restrictions on off-road dirtbikes if the level is over 96db, with noises like the V10 is making in the rear soon there will be sound restrictions for Mountain Bikes too! :eek:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Both of those noises could be so many things. We get a number of calls each day from someone trying to stop a squeek or creek or pop. In most cases we have to actually put our hands on the bike to find it.

Sounds like you have tried most everything for the rear brake. One other option is to have the brake mounts machined and aligned with a Hope or Magura brake tool.

The HS area clicking could be a HS problem. Loose cup, bad bearing, a little grease, not enough HS spacers. However if it is a "clicking" noise, that is often a worn out shifter cable. As shift cables wear the wire reinforcements protrude from the plastic casing and make a clicking noise as you push down on the suspension or turn the bars.

Good luck.