Quantcast

20 or 24?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So I've been looking at getting a BMX bike for kicks and giggles, ride park/dj/street in the winter, etc, and I'm not sure which wheel size would be better. I know almost nothing about BMX...What are the pros/cons of each size?

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Ride them and get one that feels right. Or if you are afraid of not fitting in get a 20". There is no right or wrong, it's just a bike. I personally love my X24 but it's not for everyone.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
well said mudpuppy. i ride a 26" hardtail bike personally and its set up like a big bmx bike. i ride street and dirt jumps, as well as use my ride for transportation. the 26" tires help me out on my commute from school and home, but make the bike harder to throw around. a 20" is more fun out at the trails imo because like scurban mentioned its more whip-able. a 24" bike i guess would be a compromise between the two.

so like mudpuppy said, its really up to you just finding something you like and going with that. have fun man!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hmmm...yeah...I've ridden 20s and noticed its no good for riding anywhere on, hence I was leaning towards the 24, but I've run into the problem that not many people have non-racey 24 bmx bikes.

My shop carries Felt...are they any good? I really could care less about chi-chiness and weight, I just don't want it to break. Suggestions on a bombproof 24?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
mudpuppy's is a haro backtrail x24, beefy 24" chromoly frame but it has little tire clearence say nothing more than a 2.1 and that would be pushing it i think buts its in there dj line so its spec'd ok

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah...I looked at those.

1-I can get Felts/GTs at cost so those are the ones I'm looking most closely at...

2-Want lots of clearance

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
get a 20" its better for what you want to do. Also, tire clearence really isnt so much of an issue with bmx bikes. All the kids run 1.85s these days anyway because you dont need a really fat tire in the rear.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I got a 20 incher about 6 months ago and actually rode it quite a bit initially on night time urban rides, then we moved out of town and there are no street lights to ride under and no urban stuff to ride over or off of... Anyway, I kind of like having the 20" because it is so differant than a MTB, you kind of have to learn how to ride all over again. Make sure you don't get one that's too budget priced though or else you'll be getting something that was designed for a child to ride. As far as brands go at the sub $400 level they all seem to be about the same. The plus side really is that a $400 BMX bike is equivalent in quality to a $1500 mountain bike and replacement parts are cheap and easy to come by.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I rode a BMX with 24's and a zoke fork once for a DS race, man that thing was fun fun fun. Id go 24 cus its more versatile.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i have had both, and i currently have a bactrail x24 and lemme say, go with a 20 inch.
I am running 36/16 gearing right now and there is no top end, but it still sucks to get up to speed. Also, it's harder to accelerate due to the larger rotating mass (i think?) of the 24" wheels. Losing speed with a 20" wont be a problem if you know how to ride half decenly. so go with a 20" IMO. some nice ones to look at (that I'm personally considering) are the eastern ace of spades or jane, DK dayton, WeThePeople addict, and stolen score. They're all in dans comp. more budget minded, but still nice, would be redline double x, mosh lux 3 star, haro bactrails

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
If you're "a mountainbiker" looking to "try bmx", plus commuting - get a burly 24"er - you will adjust much easier and quicker, as opposed to having to adapt to a 20"er . If you really want to try "pure bmx" there is no option other than a 20"er.

For me, I'm a mountain biker who loves my cruiser for skill-building. I ride DJ's and skateparks and a little street with it. All my friends have 20's, I've ridden them all, and none have come even close to tempting me to ride one. Just does not feel good to me at all. But I do enjoy that type of riding and reap the benefits when on my mtb.

As for finding a burly cruiser, it's tough. There isn't a whole lot out there right now, complete or frame. I think the best value is the Haro Nyquist R24 cruiser (~$375 retail?). Full 4130 frame, 3-pc Euro, 14mm wheels, decent parts, fits my 2.2 Halo TwinRail no problem. I put a sprocket with bashguard on and some pegs and have had more fun and learned more skills "dollar-for-dollar" than on any mtb I've owned. That's saying a lot, cuz I'm still consider myself a mtb'er.

If you are looking to pick something up cheap, PM me or check the Buy and Sell in a few weeks. ;) I loved my '04 so much I decided to try the '05 so I'll be unloading mine as soon as the new one appears.