Quantcast

2 m9 questions...I'm having 951 issues

SCARY

Not long enough
1.Can an M9 be set up to ride like a 951?
2.Do you wack pedals,cranks,bashgaurds like a 951?Which is the reason for the 1st question.
I'm as high in the swingarm adjustment as I can be,but I just hit everything,especially if I'm on a new course or trail.The BB is just too low and there are plenty of spots I could/would get some pedal strokes in if I didn't think it would catapult me into a cactus.

rider151

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
San Diego
Can't answer about the M9 as I haven't been on one yet but I'm curious what crank length you running? With 165's I strike less than I used to when I was on a Socom which not too far off the M9's 14+ bb as well. (M9 bb is just under a 1/2 inch different than the 951 so I'm sure you feel some difference but as to whether it would be worth the switch I can't tell you). Are you having other problems with the 951?

Last edited:

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
1.Can an M9 be set up to ride like a 951?Not sure. Never rode a 951 but you can adjust the progresion of the shock with the 3 different holes
2.Do you wack pedals,cranks,bashgaurds like a 951?Which is the reason for the 1st question.Not as bad as my Demo 8 from last year. It is so much better then that but I do hit the pedals ever so often

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Had a 951 last season and recently threw all my parts on a M9. I'm using 165 Saints with Twenty6 Prerunners.

Between the two frames, I dropped 100lbs. in spring rate to achieve the same amount of sag. I haven't had the chance to take the M9 to certain trails yet due to snow, but I've ridden it enough to know it doesn't react to body position the same way. I don't even think I've hit a pedal yet, and I'm 10 lbs. heavier.

Currently my M9's in the medium position for travel and shock progression. It's a different ride than the 951 for sure. Not as much pop, but enough to get the job done. I didn't really dig the poppy nature of the 951. Felt too my like my SS, and that's why I sold it. I would try the more progressive shock position, but I just don't want to... ;)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I've done the plow thing before.I'm kinda done with that.
Contrary to the term, my M9 doesn't really feel "plow" to me. But, it's what I wanted from a downhill bike.

I'll also add that both frames had a CCDB. But, the settings between the two are much different.

What I'm super happy about is how the geometry of both bikes feels so close. It was an easy transition getting on the new frame.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm gonna ask the same thing I always ask (after crank length) when people have this problem: Are you sure you are running the right spring and correct sag? A slightly lower static BB height should not result in a bike that is a full time pedal smacker unless something else is off.

SCARY

Not long enough
I went over the spring and setupwith malcom @ cc and Jake @ intense.So,yeah all that is set.
If I could get an m9 to be as lively as the 951 I'd probably get it.My shop sponsor works with Santa Cruz and Turner also,if there are options there.

Idk,I really like this bike,it's gonna bite me if I don't pay attention to where I pedal.I don't like pedaling,but you notice it when you can't and you should.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
My shop sponsor works with Santa Cruz and Turner also, if there are options there.
The Vivid Air on my V10c gives me such precise control over ride height that I think it would help your situation. I was playing with it between shuttle runs and by changing the air 10psi and adding or removing 1 click of compression and ending rebound I could make it sit up or ride low. The air shock is inherently easier to check sag on too. Great feeling shock/frame combo that can be plow or poppy. After riding we hung out at the shop and I picked up an M9 frame with DHX/steel spring that felt MUCH heavier than my V10c frame had felt.

Last edited:

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
you should just give it up and take up table tennis... or just come up and ride with us for a change.