Quantcast

1st time at whistler

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'll be headin up to whistler (for a wedding) the weekend of june 24th. Thing is though i'm not to into this wedding, and will probably skip it and ride the mountain. I've never been before, and am wondering what i should do for a bike. I have a singlespeed dj bike with a 4" travel fork that i've taken downhill before and had fun.

Would it be better to rent a full suspension bike when i get up there and leave the ss home? I've never rocked a fully before, so it might be a good chance to get a feel for one.

and will the trails be open by the end of june?

i'm f'n stoked to be going, cause i've heard countless raves about the trails up there.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
trails are open now mate.

garbanzo is pencilled in for the 24th though:)

personally i'd rent. Although i'd happily ride pretty much anything on the mountain on a hardtail such as yours, I'd be knackered after about 5 runs, but on a fully your gonna be able to ride harder for longer.

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
leave the single home, take a big rig for a spin especially if its your first time and your at biking haven. i know my first time on a big rig was one i will never forget plus your at the best location to do it!!! Whistler ****in' CANADA..... be ready to hit it too

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
yea rentals are around 100 US a day, but worth it over your hardtail, plus since its early season the rentals will be like unused.

I will be up there the 22-25 if you want someone to ride with.

Pm me.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Another vote for renting. Its Whistler. Big bike paradise.

The mountain's Konas are fairly decked out this year. 888 up front, Rocco in the rear, XO drivetrain.

Summit Sports are running the RMX's again.

Affinity Sports in the Village square (I think they are called Whistler Clearance Center in the summer) are running a bunch of nice higher end Devinci's (8 flat 8), that are not being rented on a regular basis.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I'm going up that week, also for the first time. I thought about renting a bigger dually, but think my all mt. ride will cut it.... we'll see.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I would say do both, rent a day and ride the hardtail a day. Hardtail is super fun on aline and dirt merchant, bonyard, and muni jumps(by the parking lot). I have ridin all the other trials on a hardtail but its much harder. Hardtail will wear you out fast too. I bring both so when my fully breaks I grab the hardtail while its getting fixed :).

May 22, 2006
B-ham
Rent a big rig, Im heading up there on the 17th, I am renting one from summit sport, its a new Rocky Mtn RMX 1.0, after the rental, gear, insurance on the bike and the lift ticket it came to 143.00 US not a bad deal. Especially if you look at the cost of replacing your bike when it gets stolen.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
360 said:
trails are open now mate.

garbanzo is pencilled in for the 24th though:)

personally i'd rent. Although i'd happily ride pretty much anything on the mountain on a hardtail such as yours, I'd be knackered after about 5 runs, but on a fully your gonna be able to ride harder for longer.
Ooooooo the 24th....can't wait....MELT FASTER!!!!

Definitely rent a dually. I rode my Rotec up there for two and a half days, and I was freakin' spent....can only imagine a hardtail.... :dead:

elRey

Turbo Monkey
I am going up with my parents the 17th-20th of June. It will also be my first time. Has anyone ever hired one of the guides? Me and my dad are thinking about getting a guide for the first day because he is not that strong of a rider and a couple friends of ours reccomended it.

I will probably be riding by myself for the rest of the days I am up there so if anyone wants to show a Whistler noob around pm me.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
If you are just interested in the smoother trails like B-Line, your hardtail will be fine, but if you are interested in exploring the rooty / rocky trails, I would definitley recommend a FS, DH bike.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
the skate park is and jumps are pretty fun so bring your hardtail for that but rent for the mountain. I talked to a guy last year and he said Evolution was the cheapest place to rent and he was on a SX Trail, 70 Canadian I think is what he said.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
I used a guide once....actually broke his ankle on Dirt Merchant and they sent up one of the coaches in his place. Coach was much better, gave pointers and tips while the guide simply said what trail do you want to do...was kinda weak

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Will!!!!!!!!!!!! I am planning on going to Whistler this weekend too. We were going to take Darcey's Eclipse with two bikes on top, but maybe we can find out some sort of carpool situation. If not, I will see you on the mountain.

If you're interested, send me a PM with your phone number.

Ben