Quantcast

1998 Yeti

datdude68

Chimp
Jul 4, 2006
Hello Monkeys a friend of a friend is practically giving this Yeti away does anyone know how well it will handle DH today? It's a 1998 Lawhill straight 6.
Kendo-Yeti-Lawwillws.jpg
Kendo-Yeti-Lawwillws.jpg

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
To quote Indiana Jones "That should be in a museum!"

Probably more important than how it may handle....how are you going to find parts? Especially if it comes with that fork....

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I wouldn't be worried about getting parts for the fork as much as I'd be worried about getting parts for the rear shock. If it blows up, where the hell are you going to get a replacement pull-shock? Does anyone out there manufacture them any more? Could a smaller manufacturer like Avalanche put one together as a special order possibly?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Take it and sell it on ebay. I am sure some retro dork will pick it up and then you will have some coin for a good DH bike

datdude68

Chimp
Jul 4, 2006
I was thinking about slapping my shiver on it and pimping it at Diablo. Would that work. If not what could I get for it? Its in mint condition.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I used to own one of those. For DH today, it would certainly be pushing it a bit. It's 6" in the front & 6" in the rear. The boxxer up front certainly isn't great, and doesn't handle the really rough stuff well. It's a decent fork though. Similarly in the rear, it's has an extremely linear, if not falling rate, so if you set it up to feel good (i.e. supple) you'll bottom hard regularly... which increases your risk of blowing the shock. I last had my shock serviced at the rockshox tent at a norba national in 2002 - they may still do this for you if you have the parts.

Other than this, for beginner or sport DH, it's an excellent bike. In fact, it makes a brilliant trail bike as well... it's relatively light at around 34lbs, and pedals better/climbs better than any "dh/freeride" bike I've been on.

- d

datdude68

Chimp
Jul 4, 2006
I used to own one of those. For DH today, it would certainly be pushing it a bit. It's 6" in the front & 6" in the rear. The boxxer up front certainly isn't great, and doesn't handle the really rough stuff well. It's a decent fork though. Similarly in the rear, it's has an extremely linear, if not falling rate, so if you set it up to feel good (i.e. supple) you'll bottom hard regularly... which increases your risk of blowing the shock. I last had my shock serviced at the rockshox tent at a norba national in 2002 - they may still do this for you if you have the parts.

Other than this, for beginner or sport DH, it's an excellent bike. In fact, it makes a brilliant trail bike as well... it's relatively light at around 34lbs, and pedals better/climbs better than any "dh/freeride" bike I've been on.

- d
I dont race I ride for fun at diablo and plattekille. I was thinking about putting my shiver on it to give it some more travel in the front. As for the rear do they make a shock to replace it or can it be rebuilt?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I don't think I'd put a Shiver on it. That's a lot more travel and a lot more strain on the headtube.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Buy it. It's better than most new bikes. More of a cool trail/all MTN than a DH bruiser,still be real fast on most tracks. probably faster than a lot of the big bikes today whallowing in there travel and weight.
Just take it for a ride,you'll see.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I know a mechanic in oakland who still rocks one. The man knows a lot about bikes.

My only qualm with rocking one would be the shock. Ain't no replacing it.

And don't put a shiver on it. Don't put anything over 6 inches on it. In fact, I'd just run it like it is (after doing my best to get the fork and shock rebuilt) so it would feel balanced. Rip it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
things brings back memories...

please don't put a shiver on it... keep it 6x6 if you're going to ride it... and watch for bottoming.

Contact Rock Shox & see if they'll rebuild it for you - as I mentioned, they did mine @ a norba national, so I can imagine they'd still have the parts back at the main factory.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if you don't buy it, I will. Tell him to contact me here.

Those bikes are awesome! They are super well built but not up to todays standards for a dh bike. Don't ride it at diablo, it's not strong enough for drops and stupid fast DH. It's a great trailbike. Buy a nice used bike that's built strong enough for big stuff like diablo, and save that piece for somebody like me.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok, Yeti DH-6. here's the facts you need to know"
1. The shock can NOT be rebuilt. RS stopped servicing pull-shox in 2001. Avy will not make one. You might be able to get Tim Flooks to service it if he can find parts.
2. Late-90's boxxer: Get a new seal kit and look up the Romic valving. Drill and be happy, service monthly.
3. Bushings: You can't get them, don't try. If there is no slop in the travel, be happy.
4. Do not put taller than a 6" fork on that bike, 6" based on the A-C height of the 6" boxxer which it was designed around. The angle will be wack.

In summation, the DH-6 will rock out as one of the best trail bikes you will ever ride, albeit heavy, but I would not recommed racing DH on it. Although it rocked worlds in 97 when it came out, it's outclassed now and is too nice of a bike to destroy racing DH on today's trackes. My advice, get a 6" SC, a Sram drivetrain (the shifting on Yeti's w/ shimano sucked due to excessive cable housing), and a nice double ring and trail the hell out of it.
-Yeti Guy

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ok, Yeti DH-6. here's the facts you need to know"
1. The shock can NOT be rebuilt. RS stopped servicing pull-shox in 2001. Avy will not make one. You might be able to get Tim Flooks to service it if he can find parts.
I had mine serviced @ the rock shox tent at snowshoe in 2002... so it may still be possible despite the "official" statement.

Otherwise, Joker is spot on.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
interesting. I never had any slop in my bushings. They squeeled for a while, but a little grease goes a long way.

I had one with standard gearing and 27 speeds. It was the best shifting bike I have ever been on or owned. Shimano XT components, all brand new, shop installed.

Shocks can still be rebuilt by hippie-tech suspension. The RS pull was probably the best rear shock RS ever made (at least the piggyback dual adjuster on later models). I never blew mine.

Watch for cracks on the upper swingarm along the upper and lower long welds where the cnc bit goes into the tube. They happen if it's been beaten on.

Again, if you don't buy it......

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hippy Tuning = Tim Flooks
Also, I almost forgot to mention, do NOT in an circumstance use the Blue (damping) knob on the RS. Get a properly weighted spring, as the primary reason for the RS pullshox blowing was overusage of the damping.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hippy Tuning = Tim Flooks
Also, I almost forgot to mention, do NOT in an circumstance use the Blue (damping) knob on the RS. Get a properly weighted spring, as the primary reason for the RS pullshox blowing was overusage of the damping.
Good recommendation - I forgot about that... go easy on the damping... My dh-6, unlike the dh-8 (also had one of those) is rebound only... but still, go easy on it.

datdude68

Chimp
Jul 4, 2006
Well I decided against it. Thanks for all of your advice. I just came from my LBS and I am about to order a 2006 Cannondale Judge 2 for $2600.00. I was going for a Glory but thet cant get any more for 2006.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
I rode a Scwhinn Straight six for a couple of seasons till I broke the swing arm. I still love that bike. It was really good on tight trails but for the really fast stuff I prefer my V-10

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I sold mine in similarly good condition for $1300 in 2002... that's also the same price I bought it for in 2001

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i would buy it then sell it for some modern ride.

bike collentors would eat it up.

sell international shipping so the world

will find it when then search.

bank.