Quantcast

1998 volkswagen ? good winter beater?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
98 vw, 2 door hatch thingy. manual trans, I assume 2.0 4 cylinder?

155000 miles.

Looking at it for a winter beater/keep the miles off my truck vehicle.

what to look out for on these guys?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Old subie would make a better winter car if you get routine snow. And winter tires.
wife has 2015 impreza, I haz 4x4 tahoe, not worried about snow and ice performance, more so beat around town and save miles on my truck and let it rust out instead of my truck.

98 2 door thingy listed for sale down the road, rusted out, cheap, beater, just don't want to plunk down $1,000 on something useless.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Blue book suggests 1,000 in rough shape, he's asking $1400. Reliability sounds decent on these guys. I'm gonna offer him $650. If he takes it I'll beat around town in it and save some wear and tear on my truck and hopefully some miles of salty roads.

All cars in Michigan older than 3 months are rust buckets, it's the nature of dumping piles and piles of salt on our roads, combine that with how many dirt roads we have and it eats cars pretty fast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
98 vw, 2 door hatch thingy. manual trans, I assume 2.0 4 cylinder?

155000 miles.

Looking at it for a winter beater/keep the miles off my truck vehicle.

what to look out for on these guys?
if it is a six cylinder....timing chain.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wife has 2015 impreza, I haz 4x4 tahoe, not worried about snow and ice performance, more so beat around town and save miles on my truck and let it rust out instead of my truck.

98 2 door thingy listed for sale down the road, rusted out, cheap, beater, just don't want to plunk down $1,000 on something useless.
my point is you'd have way more fun.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
my point is you'd have way more fun.
There's also not a subaru around in my area for anywhere near the price of this little guy. I looked. I wouldn't mind another RS coupe or an older wrx, but they're worth far more in my area.

The VW should be plenty fun for my intended purpose.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There's also not a subaru around in my area for anywhere near the price of this little guy. I looked. I wouldn't mind another RS coupe or an older wrx, but they're worth far more in my area.

The VW should be plenty fun for my intended purpose.
i was derping around CL last night for michigan and found some older legacy's for under 2k

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
i was derping around CL last night for michigan and found some older legacy's for under 2k
Please derp around further. Winter beater in my neck of the woods means <$750, if you make it through winter and save some miles on your nicer car and can beat around in it the following summer you found a winner.

I'd LOVE to have another RS coupe or an older WRX, but I'm looking at something as cheap as possible. My Tahoe has 100k on it, is rust free, and is of the age that a Michigan winter could turn it into a winter beater over night, if I can use it sparingly through the winter and save a few $$ on gas along the way, the goal would have been accomplished.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They don't
It was every Subaru that had the 2.5l motor. Of EVERY generation. The head gasket issue started with 1996's and continues to this day.
err, 2.2. The gaskets are a weak point on nearly all subarus, (new 2.0 design may be immune), so that's where the others come from.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It was every Subaru that had the 2.5l motor. Of EVERY generation. The head gasket issue started with 1996's and continues to this day.
i haven't heard of anything ~2010 or newer having head gasket issues. i think they moved away from that engine with the recent redesigns

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Please derp around further. Winter beater in my neck of the woods means <$750, if you make it through winter and save some miles on your nicer car and can beat around in it the following summer you found a winner.

I'd LOVE to have another RS coupe or an older WRX, but I'm looking at something as cheap as possible. My Tahoe has 100k on it, is rust free, and is of the age that a Michigan winter could turn it into a winter beater over night, if I can use it sparingly through the winter and save a few $$ on gas along the way, the goal would have been accomplished.
using "my neck of the woods" means you should probably just get a snowmobile :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
They don't

err, 2.2. The gaskets are a weak point on nearly all subarus, (new 2.0 design may be immune), so that's where the others come from.
If the 2.2 also has the head gasket issue, it would be news to me. Common knowledge out here was if you could get hold of an old Legacy with the 2.2 you should be good... at least WRT the head gasket issue.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm not convinced at all that Subaru has fixed the head gasket issue, on any of it's 4 cylinder models, but it was the 2.5 that was the real bad one. I don't recall what year it was now but a coworker had a newer than our impreza model outback (08-10ish?) that the head went not 2 weeks after he had to do the timing belt. I know that anecdotes do not a statistic make, but his isn't the only one I've heard of. If I were to ever buy another subaru, which is highly unlikely, I'd get the 3.0. Not head gasket issues, timing chain vs. belt, and moar powerz!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not convinced at all that Subaru has fixed the head gasket issue, on any of it's 4 cylinder models, but it was the 2.5 that was the real bad one. I don't recall what year it was now but a coworker had a newer than our impreza model outback (08-10ish?) that the head went not 2 weeks after he had to do the timing belt. I know that anecdotes do not a statistic make, but his isn't the only one I've heard of. If I were to ever buy another subaru, which is highly unlikely, I'd get the 3.0. Not head gasket issues, timing chain vs. belt, and moar powerz!

my '12 impreza is timing chain, not belt.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, nice to know they finally got smart about that. Any engineer that puts a timing belt in any motor should get a hard punch in the dick.
my wife has a '14 outback that is also timing chain. i think as of 2014 all subaru vehicles except the WRX and STI are timing chain.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The new WRX should have a chain as well, it uses the new 2.0 engine.

The STi is still using the old 2.5. From what I read, the head gasket thing wasn't a major issue on the turbo engines as they used a different gasket.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The new WRX should have a chain as well, it uses the new 2.0 engine.

The STi is still using the old 2.5. From what I read, the head gasket thing wasn't a major issue on the turbo engines as they used a different gasket.
i remember hearing chatter in the last ~2 or so years that there was talk of the wrx/sti being split off into their own performance platform and no longer being based on the impreza