Quantcast

12" single crown?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thats funny! Articles like that are so much better than the ones that could be real and fool gullable people like me!

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
that looks like it could be a joke, but I don't think it is...

I don't care what they say, I still feel nervous taking big drops on a single crown fork.:nope:

jcox00

Chimp
Oct 21, 2003
Colorado Springs
I totally think it has to be a joke. Either way, it's cool to think about 12" of travel. Honestly, though, 12" of travel, even on a double crown makes me nervous. That's a lot of freaking leverage. Whatever. I run a 6" single crown and it hasn't let me down yet. Of course I haven't really tested it on anything really big yet. I'll be sure to post if it sends me to the hospital.

Here's something that makes me laugh when people talk dual verses single crown:
The argument always seems to be: "The stress on the head tube is so much more..."
The truth is that the stress on the head tube is the same running double crown or single. The trouble starts whenever the stanchions (however you spell that) shear off of the single crown. If your head tube breaks off of your bike, it was going to happen no matter what fork you were running.

I don't know why, but for some reason I felt the above was necessary. Maybe it will instigate arguments...nay riots...nay anarchy. Sweet.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by jcox00
The argument always seems to be: "The stress on the head tube is so much more..."
The truth is that the stress on the head tube is the same running double crown or single. The trouble starts whenever the stanchions (however you spell that) shear off of the single crown.
Not true. A single-crown fork loads the head tube from the bottom only. A dual-crown loads it from the bottom and the top. There is more stress with a DC fork. Furthermore, a DC fork will almost always flex less, and thus transfer more energy to the headtube.

Originally posted by zane
that looks like it could be a joke, but I don't think it is...

I don't care what they say, I still feel nervous taking big drops on a single crown fork.:nope:
Dude, it was posted on april fools' day, it's a fricking joke.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I'm sorry, I'm just sick of this picture. I've seen it in like 4 different threads in the last week. It is funny:D

jcox00

Chimp
Oct 21, 2003
Colorado Springs
Aha. I understand the April fools thing now. Obviously I was being very non-observant. HA!

As to the DC vs SC, I would say that force is force regaurdless of where it is applied. And torque is torque no matter where it comes from. Top, bottom, side, it's all the same. If I pulled your head tube with the same force that I push it with - or if I divide the force and push and pull on the bottom and top respectively- the net effect is the same. I still argue that if your head tube shears off, it was desitned to no matter the fork. I will definitely say that the stanchions are much less likely to break/shear off of the crown on a DC. In that case the force is distributed over multiple contacts. You still only have one head tube, though.

SASQUATCH-J

Chimp
Sep 30, 2003
NEDERLAND COLORADO
Yeah, definatly a joke, it said in the very end of the article, but yeah, i missed it the first time too.
Not to mention the fact rockshox cant even make a 7inch boxxer that ddint totally suck, how would they manage making a 12inch fork?
I believed it at first though, mostly becuase i can see a compant like eockshox going, Ahhh, sweet, dude, this is such a good idea!" becuase ya know, well, any of you with very much rockshox equipment needs no further explanation.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
man, I'm a retard- I didn't notice it was on april 1st....

I guess once you get older april fool's day isn't such a big deal so you don't even notice it's april 1, just another day.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
This might make you feel like even more of a fool. I didn't bother to read the article, but a Boxxer's lowers are exactly 13" tall, not including where the arch rises up above the tops of the actual lower legs. There wouldn't be enough space. And the bolt on crown wasn't a dead giveaway? It has less overlap than a SID!
Sorry, I know I'm a dick, but I had to point that stuff out.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by jcox00
Aha. I understand the April fools thing now. Obviously I was being very non-observant. HA!

As to the DC vs SC, I would say that force is force regaurdless of where it is applied. And torque is torque no matter where it comes from. Top, bottom, side, it's all the same. If I pulled your head tube with the same force that I push it with - or if I divide the force and push and pull on the bottom and top respectively- the net effect is the same. I still argue that if your head tube shears off, it was desitned to no matter the fork. I will definitely say that the stanchions are much less likely to break/shear off of the crown on a DC. In that case the force is distributed over multiple contacts. You still only have one head tube, though.
man, not to ream you but that is terrible logic. What you would say and what is fact are totally opposite each other. I recommend keeping quiet if you plan to maintain any kind of credibility at all. Opinions are great, seriously, but when it comes to matters like this only facts are relevant. here is a fact, you are wrong.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
If you want a clear illustration of how force is distributed through a dual crown fork, try taking off the top crown, grabbing the f brake, and rocking the bike front and back.