Quantcast

100 greatest guitarists...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
YNGWIE MALMSTEEN

You cannot go wrong with a huge gut and giant cowboy side kicks. So much win.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Wow...Tom Morello, Kurt Cobain, "The Edge", Prince, and a huge variety of other no talent assclowns, and nobody like Satriani, Vai, Zakk Wylde, Leo Kottke, and people who generally know how to push the instrument to its limits?

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
of course, its rolling stone. Keith richards doesnt belong in the top 10 by any means. i agree with the above, tons of people do not belong.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Richards was my first problem. Joanie Mitchell? Willie Nelson? Sure great artists, but guitarists? Chet Atkins only #12?

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Wow...Tom Morello, Kurt Cobain, "The Edge", Prince, and a huge variety of other no talent assclowns, and nobody like Satriani, Vai, Zakk Wylde, Leo Kottke, and people who generally know how to push the instrument to its limits?
tom morello and prince = no talent ass clowns??????
wow, that's a bold statement....
morello did enormous things to progress guitar playing away from traditional "chorus solo chorus" - scheme and prince is a guitar player extraordinaire!
there's no more conservative crowd than guitarplayers, it astonishes me time and time again....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I'm not even going to look. It will only piss me off. Neil young had better not be there.

And prince is an awesome guitar player. I may not be a big fan of his music. But he can play.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
If you make a list of that many people ofcourse youre gonna have a huge difference in top and bottom part of the list, but Bruce Springsteen? Really?
And I dont know if Rosenberg is in it (i cant find an overview of the list and I dont wanna browse through 100 pages on my iPhone) but Jimmy Rosenberg is one of the best in the world imo.
Absolute legend...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
btw, the title says 'greatest' but it if you read the voters and criteria, it's 'favorite'.

hence all the old and dead guys in the list.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Neil Young? How does he even belong on this list... much yet get in the top 20. I'd put him in the top 20 worst guitarists... that's like making a list of singers and putting Bob Dylan over someone like Christina Agulara. Sure I'd listen to Bob any day over Agulara... but no question who is the better vocalist.

Okay, I went through the whole list. Bunch of crap. Steve Vai doesn't even make this list?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think the only thing worse than people talking about what car is more awesomer than the next one is people talking about which dead guitarist was better than which other dead guitarist, and how this one dude who nobody's ever heard of is way better than that other dude that nobody's ever heard of.

after a while, it all sounds like this to me anyways...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
tom morello and prince = no talent ass clowns??????
wow, that's a bold statement....
morello did enormous things to progress guitar playing away from traditional "chorus solo chorus" - scheme and prince is a guitar player extraordinaire!
there's no more conservative crowd than guitarplayers, it astonishes me time and time again....
Most people write off Prince as a pop douschebag. But the dude is a complete virtuoso on the guitar and is quite a good drummer as well. But Hecktastic is right about the dudes he listed that should have easily been in the top 10-15 dudes. Kottke and Satriani could have made the top 10... Vai the top 3-4.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sure, Rolling Stone published it. but has anyone looked at the voter list? there are only 3 from RS who voted, and there's a ton of other voters responsible for that list:

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

btw, this is not a defense of RS, which sucks ass.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How can you have a list of the top 100 without Joe Satriani? I won't say he is #1, but I would argue that his is at least top 10, no matter who else is on the list.

Epic fail.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
i don't get the neil young comments here even if you hate his music and think his voice sounds like a dying cat. he may not be a steve vai, but there's one thing about him that you can't say for many guitarists - you immediately know when he is playing the guitar. he could be playing with gladys knight and the pips and you would still know it was young playing. that's not an easy thing to do, not matter how basic it sounds. you can take 1000 death metal guitarists who can spit out a million notes a minute and you couldn't tell the difference between any of them, even if they are 'technically' better than young. speed isn't always great. i'm also surprised to not see tony rice on that list, but i guess the cut starts somewhere.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Curious about Prince's ability to shred, I looked this up:

Not a prince fan, but still pretty rad imo...