Quantcast

1.5" stems

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'm planning to buy a 1.5" fork, so I need a stem as well. What 1.5" stems are available, and, if you know, how much are they?

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
A friend of mine got a Stone edge stem for testing a couple of weeks back. These things looks impressive. 7075, fairly light and pretty damn good looking. The 70mm weight more than a Thomson, but the 50mm matches Thomsons weight.

e

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
That Stone Edge looks pretty cool, and thanks for the photos--I'm glad I have DSL, though. How much is it, in US dollars?

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I wonder if Tompson has seen this. The steerer tube adjustment looks pretty similar.

BTW, the Race Face Diabolous looks nice as well. Haven't heard any negatives about it.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Incubus said:
Thomson have abandoned that style clamp on their latest stem (31.8).

The Stone Edge stem above uses an almost identical clamping system to the prototype e.thirteen stems that we have been testing since late summer last year and it has been working great. Thomson doesnt have to worry about the majority of its users smashing their knees on bolts, a big factor IMO. At least its big for me! I have one of the new Thomson stems and its nice.

Dave

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I want one of the new Thomson stems (new clamping)..is it available yet?

I just saw in the latest DIRT that Royal Racing also has a stem with this same clamping system.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
dw said:
The Stone Edge stem above uses an almost identical clamping system to the prototype e.thirteen stems that we have been testing since late summer last year and it has been working great. Thomson doesnt have to worry about the majority of its users smashing their knees on bolts, a big factor IMO. At least its big for me! I have one of the new Thomson stems and its nice.

Dave
Don't get me wrong. I personally love the design and would prefer their new stem use the same system.

It's likely that the persons who don't know what end of an allen key to hold :think: that tried to do an install and snapped a bolt did this to us.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Incubus said:
Don't get me wrong. I personally love the design and would prefer their new stem use the same system.

It's likely that the persons who don't know what end of an allen key to hold :think: that tried to do an install and snapped a bolt did this to us.
If you read the reviews on MTBR, almost all of the negative reviews are because the users claim that the stem slips. Which is entirely an install problem - installed correctly, I've whacked my bars pretty hard and not had the thing move a millimeter.

The Thomson clamping mechanism is definitly more finicky than a standard setup when installing it, but if you just spend more than 15 seconds torquing down the bolts, there are no problems. The problem is most people don't read the setup instructions, and think torque wrenches are for wimps, so they tighten one side until it "feels tight", then torque down the other side, and call it a day.