Quantcast

07 Specialized Demo 7 as a DH race rig? input please

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
So i was looking for a little info from people that may ride these bikes or know alot about them. Basically My sinister R9 was stolen at the nationals and I am trying to build up another rig asap to get a few more races in. I only have a few options as far as frames that are avialiable to me or that are in stock - an 07 Demo 7 frame is one of them. I dont know anyone/ride with anyone that rides a demo, let alone a demo 7. Would I be able to get away with this frame as a DH race rig? Dont really know a whole lot of tech about these bikes so looking for some quality advice. I race pro in New England and need something that will hold up to the usual abuse that comes with that. I am about 5'11", weigh 165, and have a medium availiable to me.

Also, the frame only comes in "tatoo." I have no idea who was hired to do the graphics design, but its pretty awful. Are the designs stickers that I can take off or actually painted on?

thanks for any adivce!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181182

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175778

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174815

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176324

Inclad in PM said:
I haven't really had a whole lot of time on the bike and really no time dh'ing on it yet, but so far I'm pretty impressed.

I had a pretty lengthy post with regard to someone looking at both the Demo 7 and the Socom but it appears that the person who posted deleted it shortly thereafter.

I've been trying to make a point to let people know that the bike is a downhill specific bike. Specialized and alot of people have muddied what peoples perception are of it. Basically, unless you're doing racing, shuttling, or downhilling I would stay away from the bike. I pointed out in the Demo/Socom thread that the geometry of the Demo is lower and slacker than the Socom and the only thing that differs from what people now consider "race geometry" are the shorter stays.

As far as fit goes I like it. I have a large and need to be on a bike with a >24" TT length. The wheelbase with a 888SL ATA and Double XC Flush measures at 47.7" (It's a little longer with the 888 because if travel and rake), I can't remember the CS length off the top of my head, however it was the same as what the Spec website spec'd. BB height with Chunder tires (measure nearly 2.5") was 14.2" (I'll double check though) so it is low, but not dragging low like some other bikes I have ridden. Honestly I don't have any dh time to comment if the BB height though. The only thing I don't particularly like about the fit is the seat tube angle. I find it a little steep.

The quality of all the parts and hardware is rediculous and to be honest, I haven't seen another frame from another manufacturer that has the attention to detail in this regard (The pics of the new Sunn and it's hardware are actually pretty impressive).

I wish I could get some real ride time on it, but with snow and now rain it's just been awful riding weather up hear in Mass. But initial impression are good, it feels like a DH bike, has 7.7" of travel, pedals good, comes stock at ~41.5 lbs with a very good build and price (the stock cassette is awful though). I'll using a Roco WC in the back and I am running 40-50% sag as well since I find the Demo's ride night and day better with more sag.

When this weather gets better look for an in depth write-up, but until then feel free to ask any questions. What you looking to use the bike primarily for?

I'd imagine the weight of the Demo 7 II would be right around 40lbs.

I'd liken the Commencal and Demo 7 as sort of the same in that they are really best suited for downhilling. For shear versatility I think that the SX Trail, and Commencal Supreme Mini DH 6.10 would be better. At some point I hope to get myself something a bit more versatile, but because of racing and the amount of time I spend at the lifts during the summer I really like having something dedicated to downhill.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
your lucky day seeing as how i have come off 2 r9's and am now on the demo 7.
first off the tat doesnt look that bad once its built up, everyone who has seen mine actually likes it and thinks it looks rad. i personally love it, it looks different and stands out. i love the way the bike handles in technical stuff and it jumps and drops like a champ. the cornering is amazing once you get used to it, but way different than the r9. it handles almost as well in the super rough stuff as the r9 but lacks a little here. the r9 is more stable at speed but the demo can hold its own. RUN IT WITH A 7 IN FORK. kid woo mentioned this to me and it makes all the differance in the world. overall i love my 7, its super slack and low, the cog is damn near as low as you can get it and its pretty damn light (mine with roco w/ ti spring, sl ata, deity parts w/ ti, tioga/hadley/dt's, and sram xo weights about 39-40lbs with dh tubes and stupid light with its race saddle and tubeless.) id say go for it, the bike rips

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
im on a medium and am about 5'11-6ft with big ass shoulders and it fits very well. im not gonna be here which blows, im outy 5thousand on sunday :(

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I would have recommended the medium in the past series of Demos, but the new ones have a lot tighter cock pit. I have a medium Demo 9, and it feels similar to the large Demo 7 in terms of sizing. I'm 6' if that helps...

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I am 5' 6" on a small Demo 7. Perfect fit for me ( as if I have a choice anyway ). Great DH rig. 7.7" w/o the travel spacer and can be built up light. Mine is my dedicated DH rig with 888 up front.

Now I am building a kicking around bike as my Demo 7 is really built for only DH at this point. Even with the Totem up front it fit like a DH bike Vs. a Freeride rig.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I am 5' 6" on a small Demo 7. Perfect fit for me ( as if I have a choice anyway ). Great DH rig. 7.7" w/o the travel spacer and can be built up light. Mine is my dedicated DH rig with 888 up front.
Could you elaborate about this travel spacer? I read about it in the other posts.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
all it is is a little clip behind the bottom out bumper. its easy to take off. just loosen the spring and it unclips. it increases the shock stroke a hair so you can get a bit more travel.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm about 5' 7" and thinking I should be on a small instead of a medium........need to try one.
Yeah you really should be, if you have the option of getting on one.

The demo's went up one complete size on the chart for whatever stupid reason this year (06 medium = 07 small and so on) so they really are big bikes now. An 07 small is about right for me... even @ 5'11, I wouldn't consider a medium.

The front-centre's just get really long and force you to get right over the front to keep any front wheel traction. Not a bad thing to some extent and the shorter fork helps but it's not really good or ideal either.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah you really should be, if you have the option of getting on one.

The demo's went up one complete size on the chart for whatever stupid reason this year (06 medium = 07 small and so on) so they really are big bikes now. An 07 small is about right for me... even @ 5'11, I wouldn't consider a medium.

The front-centre's just get really long and force you to get right over the front to keep any front wheel traction. Not a bad thing to some extent and the shorter fork helps but it's not really good or ideal either.
But..........it's still got a shorter wheelbase than the turner I was on.

Considering the chainstay measurements on these things, they pretty much just took a standard medium size and moved the bottom bracket back :D

It's stable as hell at speed and never once has it felt 'too big' as long as the momentum is there. I'm just curious to see what the small feels like and if it's an improvement in some of the speed killing corners at somewhere like northstar. For doing large jumps at mach looney, I'm not sure the small would be an improvement. But I am curious.

Funny how spec is sold out of smalls but I can't find anyone who owns one.:brow: