Quantcast

'07 Marzocchi 888 rebuild

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Damper seems outta whack, seals are leaking, stanctions are worn. Thank goodness I just got a new fork.

However, said fork might not be operational for reasons I'd rather not discuss in time for my departure to DH mecca (Whistler) and I'd rather not ride my enduBro bike there and tear it up. So I am considering slapping back on my old 888 and running it while I can get my other fork hopefully serviced by an awesome Whistler company (any recommendations? Vorsprung?) while I am still tearing up trails (will be dirtbagging it and hope to hit the park everyday til June 2nd starting this Sunday).

BUT before I stick that old Marz 888 back on, I figure I should give it some new bath water to play in as well as new seals. The bath water should be easy. Though I do have some of that nice new Fox 40 oil hanging out that I am tempted to use. But the seals I am curious about.

So here's the question:

Are 35mm stanction seals interchangeable? Can I just hop over to one of my LBS and grab some Pike/BoXXer seals and snap 'em in, add some new oil and call it a day?

Cheers,

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
No. The Marzoocchi forks use 2 seals, 2 foam rings, and 2 dust wipers. It's the 2 seals under the snap ring that are worn.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You coming through Vancouver? I have a 35mm Marzocchi seal kit on a shelf I have absolutely no use for....

Also, who you get your new fork looked at by will depend on what brand it is. Both Marzocchi and Fox have service centers in Vancouver with whom you will need to book appointments ~ 1 week in advance. For Rock Shox there's a guy up in Whistler/Squamish called Sean somethingorother. Vorsprung certainly work on Fox also.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
No. The Marzoocchi forks use 2 seals, 2 foam rings, and 2 dust wipers. It's the 2 seals under the snap ring that are worn.
Yeah exactly. If you get the kit, it's pretty darn simple so pull it apart, replace oil, replace seals/wipers/foam rings. I had to do this in a pinch at Snowshoe last year and bought the kit at the shop there. I think it was like $35 retail.

Get it overnighted to you and have fun in Whistler!!!

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
[QUOTE "big-ted, post: 4056073, member: 13572"]You coming through Vancouver? I have a 35mm Marzocchi seal kit on a shelf I have absolutely no use for....

Also, who you get your new fork looked at by will depend on what brand it is. Both Marzocchi and Fox have service centers in Vancouver with whom you will need to book appointments ~ 1 week in advance. For Rock Shox there's a guy up in Whistler/Squamish called Sean somethingorother. Vorsprung certainly work on Fox also.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll be heading up through Vancouver. Might even try to do some laps on Cypress if I can find some people or push/slow ride up Fromme (the trail bike is staying at home).

However, I likely won't be bringing a stand, so swapping out seals on the road might be somewhat problematic.

Ha.