Quantcast

06 Sunday factory frame

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
I have order the Sunday factory frame from my LBS. I have the following question need your help.

1.) It there any difference from Factory frame vs complete bike frame?
I know the mfg place is difference but except the mfg place what is the other? linkage plate? material?

2.) I will use the saint crankset and the length is 170 mm, it there any one who running this crank setting. I have hear that due to the horse is quite low pivot compare to my old frame (04 V10). Would I keep the crankset or I change to use the 165mm crankset?

Thank you for all of your advice and I will post my bike picture once it has complete toi build!

Cheers

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
To answer your questions:

1.)The Team, Elite and the World Cup (complete bike frames) are totally identical other than color. All of these frames use 6061 alloy and triple butted tubing.

The Factory frame uses 6069 tubing with a different toptube butting profile, down tube butting profile, and chanistay alloy. It is slightly lighter in weight, (about 1 lbs.) and built in the USA.

2.) It would be better to go with a 165mm crank set due to the fact that the Bottom Bracket is pretty low on the Sunday. 170mm cranks could work, but if the terrain you are riding on is very rocky, the 170's may be too long.

- Hope this helps.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
dh_newbie said:
I have order the Sunday factory frame from my LBS. I have the following question need your help.

1.) It there any difference from Factory frame vs complete bike frame?
I know the mfg place is difference but except the mfg place what is the other? linkage plate? material?

2.) I will use the saint crankset and the length is 170 mm, it there any one who running this crank setting. I have hear that due to the horse is quite low pivot compare to my old frame (04 V10). Would I keep the crankset or I change to use the 165mm crankset?

Thank you for all of your advice and I will post my bike picture once it has complete toi build!

Cheers
I think the Factory frame is lighter, and the frames are from here in the US like you said.

I think it'd be better to get a set of 165mm cranks if you could, but with the 170mm's you'd just be banging on rocks and obstacles more often.

I'm sure others will chime in with more definite answers though.

EDIT- Looks like SKC has got you covered.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
thanks for S.K.C & matt12 such useful help for me, I am living at HK and the trail condition is rough and rocky compare to US & canada or Australia as well.

As per your advice that the 170 mm will offer hit the ground due to lower BB, so I will try switch to use the crmo ISIS crank firstly.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
dh_newbie:
thanks for S.K.C & matt12 such useful help for me, I am living at HK and the trail condition is rough and rocky compare to US & canada or Australia as well.

As per your advice that the 170 mm will offer hit the ground due to lower BB, so I will try switch to use the crmo ISIS crank firstly.
No problem. :)

The Factory frame is made of a higher quality aluminum, and is made in smaller quantities here in the USA, so you should be getting a really nice bike.

Welcome to the world of Downhill.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Depending on your pedalling technique/ ability to adjust, you might be ok w/ the 170mm cranks. A buddy of mine is running 175's on his Sunday and hasn't been complaining.
I, on the other hand, am running 165's on my Sunday and bang my pedals somewhat frequently, but it's not a big deal, and I'm still getting used to the bike.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
my sunday elite came with 170s, i found it a little bit of a problem especially trying to pedal through rock gardens not quite sure whether the extra 5mm clearance of the 165 would have been enough to stop this.

I have slowly naturally adjusted so i find myself clipping less now, but i think youre better going for 165s

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
If the cranks are coming from your old V10 you'll need new ones anyway- the Sunday has an 83mm bb shell- so 10mm wider than that on your V10. Having had a Factory frame with 170s and a World cup bike with 165s i think you're much better off with the 165s- i found i clipped my cranks on the ground a lot more with the 170s, and i don't notice the difference in pedalling as much as i thought i would.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Daver said:
If the cranks are coming from your old V10 you'll need new ones anyway- the Sunday has an 83mm bb shell- so 10mm wider than that on your V10. Having had a Factory frame with 170s and a World cup bike with 165s i think you're much better off with the 165s- i found i clipped my cranks on the ground a lot more with the 170s, and i don't notice the difference in pedalling as much as i thought i would.
Actually the Saint crankset which I using at my V10 is perfect fit at the Sunday due to both are 83mm. I will try to test did the 165 or 170 is more fit for me.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
dh_newbie said:
Actually the Saint crankset which I using at my V10 is perfect fit at the Sunday due to both are 83mm. I will try to test did the 165 or 170 is more fit for me.
V10s are 73mm though...:rolleyes:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
sayndesyn said:
Once I get in the machine shop I plan on making ones that are actually longer than the bb height. Then I will ride up and down the street slamming the cranks into the pavement to piss off my god fearing neighbors.
make me a set too...

SwissOne

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Does anybody know the length of the head tube? I really didn't find anything about it in the web.. thanks

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The length of a 17"(medium) frame HT is: 5"

...as far as the weight figures go - those came from I.H. Where did you get your weight figures from for the Factory Frame?

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
sayndesyn said:
Once I get in the machine shop I plan on making ones that are actually longer than the bb height. Then I will ride up and down the street slamming the cranks into the pavement to piss off my god fearing neighbors.
Could you attach snowshoes to the pedals and use them in the snow???