Quantcast

çççççç Tuesday ññññññ

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
There’s a corgi at the coffee shop. My day is complete.
The manager of the local hemp dispensary has an English Bulldog that is the goofiest meatball I’ve ever seen. He’s probably less than 18” tall but weighs 80 pounds. Paws are enormous and the face is straight out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Will get a pic next time I walk past.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Taxes filed, FTS.

They're probably wrong again, so that's good. I've yet to ever meet a "tax professional" who seems to have even a cursory understanding of what they're doing. Shoulda just stuck with Turbotax when they said I get a $1.3m refund.
I've always found it curious that they can prepare your taxes yet have no responsibility for doing it correctly.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Arrived in OIB NC. Headed to wilmington in a couple days. Any local suggestions for a nice restaurant? No particular cravings but I don't think I can get tacos this time.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We travel differently... :rolleyes:

View attachment 192644
Your loss man.
I'm 97% certain I ate there last time I was in Santa Fe, I remember the Pozole much better than the restaurant itself, but it looks and sounds extremely familiar, 10 out or 10 would eat again.

I need to go to Santa Fe again, it's a weird spot, but I dig it.
It's a Santa Fe institution, probably the last of them since COVID killed Tecolote. I remember going there as a little kid when we lived in Santa Fe, though I didn't get to drink the margartitas until much later.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
It's a Santa Fe institution, probably the last of them since COVID killed Tecolote. I remember going there as a little kid when we lived in Santa Fe, though I didn't get to drink the margartitas until much later.
I seem to remember one other OG New Mexican place - maybe Tomasita's? Can't remember for sure, but I think it was near a train station? Dammit. I need to get back to Santa Fe...

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I seem to remember one other OG New Mexican place - maybe Tomasita's? Can't remember for sure, but I think it was near a train station? Dammit. I need to get back to Santa Fe...
I forgot about Tomasitas. Depends on how you define "Santa Fe" I guess. Rancho de Chimayo is as old as time and is still one of my favorite places on earth, but it's a solid 30 minutes out of downtown. The Plaza Cafe and The Pantry are both old enough to collect social security, and for a reason. Santa Fe certainly does not lack for places to eat.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The manager of the local hemp dispensary has an English Bulldog that is the goofiest meatball I’ve ever seen. He’s probably less than 18” tall but weighs 80 pounds. Paws are enormous and the face is straight out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Will get a pic next time I walk past.
0DE81AAA-FC30-4598-ACCC-69E95BCA5F20.jpeg

And for no reason other than it was a nearby pic in my phone, here’s a squirrel in the grass and some gooses.
B978B6CC-0CE2-4AA9-A404-26A4F4CB003E.jpeg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Ooo, just found out one of our suppliers took our drawing, superimposed their own drawing onto our template, and have been manufacturing parts to it.

This will be fun.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Rancho de Chimayo is as old as time and is still one of my favorite places on earth, but it's a solid 30 minutes out of downtown.
Is that place, this place? https://www.casachimayosantafe.com/ I remember it being walking distance from the Mission, not sure if that constitutes downtown Santa Fe though.

Got a bit nervous when I realized they had a cardboard cut out of Guy Feiri, but it was outstanding.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Is that place, this place? https://www.casachimayosantafe.com/ I remember it being walking distance from the Mission, not sure if that constitutes downtown Santa Fe though.

Got a bit nervous when I realized they had a cardboard cut out of Guy Feiri, but it was outstanding.
Oh goodness, no. :rofl:
Not knocking the quality of the food, as I've never been to that particular establishment, though the endorsement is suspect.

This Rancho de Chimayo.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Oh goodness, no. :rofl:
Not knocking the quality of the food, as I've never been to that particular establishment, though the endorsement is suspect.

This Rancho de Chimayo.
As much as I can appreciate Fieri for promoting small restaurants, my other experiences at DDD "approved" establishments have been pretty terrible. Had I not already ordered when I saw the cut-out, I'd have probably faked an illness and left, turned out fine though.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I've always found it curious that they can prepare your taxes yet have no responsibility for doing it correctly.
A good cpa is absolutely responsible. They have to sign off on it, and are ultimately responsible for penalties. But honestly, that usually only happens when the client gives incomplete or erroneous info: “Garbage in, garbage out”.
My wife gets paid handsomely for not tolerating this, and sorts out the bullshit beforehand, often saving clients up to hundreds of thousands. In one case, over a million.
‘Tax Preparers’, otoh… :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
As much as I can appreciate Fieri for promoting small restaurants, my other experiences at DDD "approved" establishments have been pretty terrible. Had I not already ordered when I saw the cut-out, I'd have probably faked an illness and left, turned out fine though.
That's fair. One of my favorite restaurants here in town has a picture of the owner/chef with Fieri pretty prominently displayed near the entrance. I'd have probably also walked out if I'd seen it first, but the food is great and the owner has done some pretty good things here in town, so I guess the lesson is not to knock a place simply because of proximity to Fieri's show. He is by most of the accounts I've read a pretty good dude.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Maria Empanada is DDD endorsed and I think it's tasty. but I do not know if it is authentico

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Getting back to my time zone has been an interesting experiment. Who knew 10 days on European time would flip my schedule. Luckily I don't require much sleep and am adjusting well. Some of my colleagues and the kids are struggling!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ech. If the govt and it's biggest union don't come to an agreement tonight, they will begin striking tomorrow. Since my union is not in a legal strike position, I will have to cross picket lines to go in. Even though I'll technically not be a scab, I will still feel dirty.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ugh.....stunned to see my hometown of Hebron NY on the national news because a man killed a 20 year old girl who was lost and turning around in her driveway on Saturday night. This was literally 2 miles from my parents house. Hebron is TINY....not enough people per square mile to even have cable TV. I am speechless!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
One downside of good reviews, especially those on something big like DDD, is it seems to be pretty easy for the place to nose dice after. Especially if they are small as they can't manage all of the new business.

It happens with Dave Portnoys pizza reviews too. Places will have to shut down early or have asked him not to come, so as not to overwhelm them.

And then there are the losers who had something good, cash in on the new business and cheap out/sell out.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
This is Oaxaca right!?!? I have very fond memories of going there as a kid and young adolescent. I'd really like to go back with my family, but also to ride. How easy is it to find the trails? did you have to hire a guide?

happy birthday too - I think the big milestone is coming soon!?!
Yeah, Oaxaca. It’s been really amazing so far. One probably doesn’t need to hire a guide, as most/all (?) of the trails are on Trailforks and where we’ve been focused on riding is actually a bike park. But, we’re super happy we did hire guides… they provided the whole thing turnkey from accommodations to food to shuttles to taking us to the good trails that are appropriate for our group’s abilities. And thank you, yes my 50th is coming up on Saturday.