Quantcast

Whinesday, what ya got?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Might finally soon buy a car. Hired a company to check what's wrong and also fix what's wrong so I have no surprises. So this is nice.

The bad part is the head of research doesn't want me to present my own research because she will look incompetent when she is incompetent and I had to do my own research (fun fact I had an interview for her position 3 years ago but then the company got confused and forgot they want to hire for that position and now they hired someone with no knowledge). Lots of stress after spending 3 days with 40C fever but May 1st is a long weekend until the 5th so I will be awaiting that time

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Another beautiful day out there. Luckily I'll be trapped inside staring at a computer screen.

@Pesqueeb, any recommendations on trail running shoes? The time has come to quit being a slob. We're talking 10 miles per week MAX on mostly flat terrain, some rocks and roots. All the articles I'm seeing are recommending $170+ shoes, which just sounds stupid.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Had a sick day, did very little.
Started watching Game of Thrones, thought if it wasn't for the naked people it would be even less worth watching.
Then I ordered a hand strength Doo-dad from Korea to help me get the most out of the GoT series.

I have stopped using a manual grease gun at work and the weakness is already creeping in.
Looked at "Forearm Blasters" but for some reason they are three times the price here compared to the US.
So I will make one and put some old bike grips on it.
Praying to the lords of slumber, if that doesn't work the slumber tablets will come out to play.
Blah blah blah, words words words.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

Been a busy week so far. Raining today, will be slower. Need to swap tires on my gravel bike. Hopefully flagging a couple spots on the trails for a rapidly approaching work day.

While waiting in line to unload yesterday I started watching Stanger Things again. I had forgot how entertaining that is.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Another beautiful day out there. Luckily I'll be trapped inside staring at a computer screen.

@Pesqueeb, any recommendations on trail running shoes? The time has come to quit being a slob. We're talking 10 miles per week MAX on mostly flat terrain, some rocks and roots. All the articles I'm seeing are recommending $170+ shoes, which just sounds stupid.
How about some bike shoes? :brows:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

I really like my new pair of Altra. Scored a pair at 50% on the Last Hunt.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Before tonight's ride, I need to stop at @Westy's favorite shop, Princess Auto, for a wiper arm puller.

Its also lightly raining, so we'll see if my sunroof leaks again.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Everybody on reddit all mad at those guys who knocked over that rock formation but I'm the bad guy for suggesting we cut their hands off. I guess my input isn't wanted.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Specifically, no. Given that everyone is built differently, what work for me almost certainly won't work for you.

Generally, yes. The first thing I would recommend is go find yourself a local, brick and mortar running store. A good one should put you through at least half a dozen shoes to find something comfortable and that fit right, especially if you're new to running/trail running. I personally like a minimalist/barefoot style running shoe, but they are currently out of fashion as it turned out that if you just jump into that kind of shoe there is a tendency to create foot injury. Definitely not a sort of shoe you should start with unless you spend a lot of time in sandals or bare feet. I've had good experiences with New Balance, Hoka's, and am currently in a pair of Topo's that are pretty nice, though the tread seems awfully wide for some reason.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
howdy ho ppls

working 4-10 pm from home

already dropped off kid 3 via cargo bike. going to e-bike up to Folsom Skis to drop off kid 2's seasonal rentals, and shuttle out kid 3's bike so that we can ride home together

IMG_2046.jpeg

:)

(also got Express Toll set up with new temp-plated car, tried unsuccessfully to repair a broken violin bow, reset the optical network terminal for my non-working but now-working fiber, and called a lawyer.)

((to set up logistics for a consulting case I'm on, what did you expect?))

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Work. Scheduling through May 15th, as the potential new group said that's a good timeline to schedule through.

Water heater guy is on his way here. Existing one loses hot water after 3 medium length showers vs. 4 long showers previously. We're estimating it at minimum 10yrs old and the way it is positioned you can't replace the anode to deal with servicing it. We're looking at local companies vs. the 0% Lowe's and HD because their service people have ratings in the low 2/5 level, so we're probably going to actually have to pay properly instead of being able to keep the money invested or generating interest. BOO!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Car insurance place just called me and asked to switch me to paperless, probably to save them money under the guise of saving trees.

I politely declined, because I would still need to print out the proof of insurance. And with the amount of email I get, it'd be easy for them to slip in changes, miss the email and not have an opportunity to investigate further to decline whatever it is.

In retrospect, I should have asked if I sign up, how will that benefit me? Will my premium go down?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Today went to hell.

This alert to all EMS and Law Enforcement was broadcast

Sent: Apr 17 2024 9:29AM
Subject: MCI General Notification (Drill)

A mass casualty incident has occurred. You may be required to participate in this MCI.
Name: **EXCERCISE - TRAFFIC COLLISION WITH RADIOLOGICAL MATERIALS
City: Castro Valley Location: WB I580/CASTRO VALLEY
Initiated by: Alameda County Emergency Dispatch (ACRECC)
Initiated at: 4/17/2024 09:29

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Today went to hell.

This alert to all EMS and Law Enforcement was broadcast

Sent: Apr 17 2024 9:29AM
Subject: MCI General Notification (Drill)

A mass casualty incident has occurred. You may be required to participate in this MCI.
Name: **EXCERCISE - TRAFFIC COLLISION WITH RADIOLOGICAL MATERIALS
City: Castro Valley Location: WB I580/CASTRO VALLEY
Initiated by: Alameda County Emergency Dispatch (ACRECC)
Initiated at: 4/17/2024 09:29
"Excercise" - that means a fake MCI?