Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
That was my go to tire for years back in the late 90's and early 2000's. All the XC guys would stare at me like I was crazy running 2.3's on my hardtail.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
In the past couple of Vital's B-Line podcast, Dak makes a big deal about being coy on a new tire from Maxxis. I just went and had a look at Pinkbike's photos, and indeed, it looks like there's a new tire... though it look pretty close to the Shorty. Thoughts? Speculation?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Is this the new mud spike tire or maxxis making the cut knob shorty I’ve heard of people running an official tire.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Riders have blurted out a few times that it's the High Roller 3. It's been around since last season - I think that's the one Jackson ran at MSA. Their answer to the Argotal.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The argotal? Wouldn’t it make sense that the high roller would compete with the xytonal?
HR2, sure. But no pro racers are running a Xynotal, especially front. Like you said, it's a cut mid-spike for mixed conditions - fast rolling but wide enough spacing to shed mud. I ran Argotals this winter, and they roll a lot faster than a Shorty, but don't do as well in consistently muddy conditions. Nice where there there's pockets of mud and good dirt elsewhere. A 3-2-2-3 tire like Assegai / Kryptotal Front will clog up and not do as well in that sort of condition.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
HR2, sure. But no pro racers are running a Xynotal, especially front. Like you said, it's a cut mid-spike for mixed conditions - fast rolling but wide enough spacing to shed mud. I ran Argotals this winter, and they roll a lot faster than a Shorty, but don't do as well in consistently muddy conditions. Nice where there there's pockets of mud and good dirt elsewhere. A 3-2-2-3 tire like Assegai / Kryptotal Front will clog up and not do as well in that sort of condition.
I chucked an Argotal up front on my short travel bike and I'm having a blast with it on loose conditions (both gravel and soft dirt). I'd have loved something like that on the big bike for any soft condition track. Its like a Shorty that doesn't squirm or roll as bad

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If anyone follows Jack Moir, it's interesting that he switched to Maxxis tires after hurting his wrist. Said the tires feel much easier on the hands.

He's ripping again and has put the Continentals back on.