Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
A second Boeing whistleblower has died. Josh Dean, a former mechanical engineer and quality auditor at Spirit AeroSystems, had flagged a manufacturing defect in a pressure bulkhead of the 737 MAX. He died Tuesday, two weeks after suddenly taking ill, being intubated and confined to the ICU. He filed a formal complaint against Boeing last year.

Dean's death comes two months after a separate Boeing whistleblower was found dead in his car from a gunshot wound to the head. John Barnett was due to appear for day 3 of depositions but never showed. His body, and a gun in his hand, were eventually found in a parking garage. I'm not aware of any surveillance video showing him driving there that day.

I'd say they're dropping like flies, but it's probably closer to say that they are "dropping like parts from a Boeing".

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
The fucked up reentry heat shield...
not to mention

Starliner’s setbacks
Boeing’s space division operates separately from its commercial airline team, and officials at NASA and the US aerospace giant have routinely sought to make that distinction.
NASA officials have also made clear they are working more closely with Boeing than ever, with personnel on the ground at Boeing facilities overseeing some of the fixes the company has put in place ahead of the upcoming Starliner flight.
“This is an important capability for NASA. We signed up to go do this, and we’re gonna go do it and be successful at it,” Nappi said Thursday. “I don’t think of it in terms of what’s important for Boeing as much as I think of it as in terms of what’s important for this program.”
Still, Boeing and NASA have had a long list of issues to address.
During the last flight test in 2022, for example, engineers found that the suspension lines on the Starliner’s parachute had a lower threshold for failure than initially expected.
NASA and Boeing engineers tested a fix for that issue earlier this year, but parachutes will remain top of mind as they work through some last-minute checkouts before liftoff, Stich said Thursday.
Some tape that was also used to protect wiring harnesses was found to be flammable, and Boeing had to remove and replace about a mile’s worth of the material, according to Nappi.
Boeing may even need to implement a redesign of some of the spacecraft’s valves because of corrosion issues. That upgrade, however, is not expected to be in place until the second crewed flight, slated for 2025, at the earliest.
On May’s inaugural crewed flight, Boeing will instead use a “perfectly acceptable mitigation” that should prevent the valves from sticking, Nappi said in March.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
not to mention

Starliner’s setbacks
Boeing’s space division operates separately from its commercial airline team, and officials at NASA and the US aerospace giant have routinely sought to make that distinction.
NASA officials have also made clear they are working more closely with Boeing than ever, with personnel on the ground at Boeing facilities overseeing some of the fixes the company has put in place ahead of the upcoming Starliner flight.
“This is an important capability for NASA. We signed up to go do this, and we’re gonna go do it and be successful at it,” Nappi said Thursday. “I don’t think of it in terms of what’s important for Boeing as much as I think of it as in terms of what’s important for this program.”
Still, Boeing and NASA have had a long list of issues to address.
During the last flight test in 2022, for example, engineers found that the suspension lines on the Starliner’s parachute had a lower threshold for failure than initially expected.
NASA and Boeing engineers tested a fix for that issue earlier this year, but parachutes will remain top of mind as they work through some last-minute checkouts before liftoff, Stich said Thursday.
Some tape that was also used to protect wiring harnesses was found to be flammable, and Boeing had to remove and replace about a mile’s worth of the material, according to Nappi.
Boeing may even need to implement a redesign of some of the spacecraft’s valves because of corrosion issues. That upgrade, however, is not expected to be in place until the second crewed flight, slated for 2025, at the earliest.
On May’s inaugural crewed flight, Boeing will instead use a “perfectly acceptable mitigation” that should prevent the valves from sticking, Nappi said in March.
"Should".