Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
First ride only so far, going out in a bit to drain the battery and get a better feel for it.
I did just under 5k vert today. Baseline was pretty close. I tried adding a couple psi, going back and forth with HSC and HBO. Ended up close to where I started, just a click more HSC and HBO.

What I like about is that the first half or so of travel genuinely feels very coil like, but then ramps up smoothly towards the end. I'm regularly bottoming it out (the bike only has 150mm rear travel after all) but it's so far never been harsh. Best I can describe is that it blends a lot of my favorite aspects of air and coil, while reducing their downsides. Not quite as great as coil over fast chatter, but really close and much better support at the end of travel. Better tracking than a small volume air shock, but heavier and less efficient feeling.

I could see that super picky pros might not like the limited number of clicks on the damper, but I appreciate it. I can do 1 click and feel a change but it's not a huge difference. Like going from HSC -2 from middle to -1 just feels like it calms down the rear end a little bit in the rough. Trailhead's suggested starting pressures so far have been really close to what I like so far, like within a couple PSI, as long as I'm honest about rider weight. What I did for the mid-power ebike was add it's weight differential from a typical enduro bike to rider weight (so ~43-35 = +8 lbs). I find it helps keep my fafferhead tendencies in check and settle on a setup that I like faster.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
My Giro Terraduros self destructed last weekend while riding in the wet, so grabbed a pair of these Leatt 4.0 clips at sale price:
IMG_20240511_225826_779.jpg

They seem to be bombproof, although a little on the heavy side, and with a toe box a tad wide for my noodly feet. Tried sizing down half a point, but my toes scratched the front of the shoes. I was hoping my Giros would hold until the local Adidas branch had a sale on the clipless 5.10s, but they are still keeping those behind the curtain.

Also grabbed two pairs of Five Tens Freeriders for 30 bucks each.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My Giro Terraduros self destructed themselves last weekend while riding in the wet, so grabbed a pair of these Leatt 4.0 clips at sale price:
View attachment 211636

They seem to be bombproof, although a little on the heavy side, and with a toe box a tad wide for my noodly feet. Tried sizing down half a point, but my toes scratched the front of the shoes. I was hoping my Giros would hood until the local Adidas branch had a sale on the clipless 5.10s, but they are still keeping them behind the curtain.

Also grabbed two pairs of Five Tens Freeriders for 30 bucks each.
Wide toe box you say? I was looking at the flat sole Leatts and didn't want to do an internet purchase because I have fat feet. I got RCs in 13US and they are a touch narrow and the toe box is weirdly low, a bit like the shitty NW Clan shoes. But the RCs are padded really well and have a bit better pedal feel than my Freerider Pros so I will buy more in the future.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
2023 Norco Optic. I am quite happy with how it turned out.

I tried to go with Canadian stuff as much as I could, with Weareone rims, North Shore Billet stem, pedals, brake adaptors and UDH, Chromag saddle and steertube spacers (lol), OneUp bars, chainring and chainguide, RaceFace grips.

View attachment 208843
I now have a couple of rides done on the Optic and it plain rips. I love that bike!

It is exactly what I wanted from it. It offers much more room for error than my hardtail and is a super capable bike despite the short travel. It also climbs super well and there is no need for a lockout on the shock. I am also very happy I went for a 150mm fork on it. I know some people on YouTube reported 150mm was too much for the Optic. :lol: No way! 150mm feels perfect for me.

I only have one complaint: There are only 2 chainguide tabs, meaning I can fit a top guide (which I did), but no bashguard. That sucks.

Also, I suspect there is something very wrong with the Norco Ride Aligned setup guidelines. The suggested pressure for the shock is 214psi, which is severely undersprung for my weight (like close to 40% SAG). I went to 245psi on the last ride, which was good, but I will try 250psi on the next.

I will keep on riding it like that for a while, then will put on the Cascade link. It will be interesting to feel the differences. We'll see how it goes, but I can't stop thinking about trying a coil shock on it. Maybe next year...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@FlipSide one of our local lads here chucked an EXT coil on one of those Optics and absolutely sends it. Those things are mega capable. Another mate bought one not long after I got my Smuggler and I was immediately regretting not getting the Optic instead. Better made than the Transition I reckon.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
in what respect?
The Smuggler tyre clearance is a complete joke, water collects in the little pond thing around the lower shock mount, seatpost insertion is limited. The pivot hardware was also sent out wrong - you could tighten the CS pivot bolt till the bolt bottomed out on itself before it preloaded the bearings, so there was a little bit of play pretty quickly which I feel has developed more over time from wear and tear on the bearing shells so now even with the correct hardware there is slight play in those pivots. Its still a very fun little bike, but its out of warranty now.

I did see a couple of people broke pivot hardware on the first Optics and Sights when they used hollow alloy bolts, but the newer ones seem to use revised hardware.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The Smuggler tyre clearance is a complete joke, water collects in the little pond thing around the lower shock mount, seatpost insertion is limited. The pivot hardware was also sent out wrong - you could tighten the CS pivot bolt till the bolt bottomed out on itself before it preloaded the bearings, so there was a little bit of play pretty quickly which I feel has developed more over time from wear and tear on the bearing shells so now even with the correct hardware there is slight play in those pivots. Its still a very fun little bike, but its out of warranty now.

I did see a couple of people broke pivot hardware on the first Optics and Sights when they used hollow alloy bolts, but the newer ones seem to use revised hardware.
yeah, those first three are things I wondered if they'd address in subsequent iterations. I'm surprised about the hardware, caus' that's something I've been impressed with on my 2016 Patrol. They even updated the main pivot hardware as a running update.

Though it's good to hear Norco has those issues dialed. There's certainly lots of them available in these parts...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
yeah, those first three are things I wondered if they'd address in subsequent iterations. I'm surprised about the hardware, caus' that's something I've been impressed with on my 2016 Patrol. They even updated the main pivot hardware as a running update.

Though it's good to hear Norco has those issues dialed. There's certainly lots of them available in these parts...
Yeah the newer models seem to have sorted most of that stuff. I've got the older model carbon one. Imperfections aside, it still rides darn well and it hasn't broken yet - which I'm quietly impressed by considering how easily I get dared to try stuff on it. I'll try to glue the bearings in with retainer when I rebuild it next and it will hopefully go for another couple years.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just ordered some of these, will be keen to see if they reduce numbness at all.
1715862672109.png

Plus it will let me push the bit in near the shifter so I get some room for my chode thumb.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Since numbness and grips are mentioned, any thoughts...
Got numb and lost sensation on fingers for first time ever 2 times last week..same bars, same position etc...nothing different...made grabbing brakes awesome couldnt tell hand pressure and was on and off them aggressively....

Outer palm and last 2 fingers were where it started and went totally numb then other 2 fingers went numb, thumb was still ok...

Only thing I can think of is I pulled my back doing traps and training plus back squats...bar sitting on spine...never had this happen before, but got me to look at cockpit set up...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Got numb and lost sensation on fingers for first time ever 2 times last week..same bars, same position etc...nothing different...made grabbing brakes awesome couldnt tell hand pressure and was on and off them aggressively....

Outer palm and last 2 fingers were where it started and went totally numb then other 2 fingers went numb, thumb was still ok...

Only thing I can think of is I pulled my back doing traps and training plus back squats...bar sitting on spine...never had this happen before, but got me to look at cockpit set up...
Could be carpal tunnel or could be too much weight on your ulnar nerve?

(I am not a medical professional, I just shitpost on RM)

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

I have that happen sometimes on my right side. I've traced it down to issues with my bad shoulder. Doing band exercises and finger extensions make it better. For bands, I hook a band to a door knob, and pull it facing away 180 degrees from rear to front (opposite movement of ski poles). Also hook band to foot and rotate arm upward sideways from leg to vertical.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Were your legs also numb?

I'm guessing you got up off the toilet too quickly, after a nice long sit, and went straight to the air bag ramp.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
outer fingers can be caused by saddle pressure on your perineum
I'll try rotating forward a smidge it's a little uncomfortable when extended all the way 200mm...sitting down is a better angle which is useless slammed ...I'll throw it forward

Finished training for the day for HYROX this Sunday, so got the leg bags on and then off to ride and lift . So I'll throw saddle forward a few degrees and see ..

These are a trip, but seriously clear blood flow and lactic out of legs...

20240516_113040.jpg

Last edited:

HeadMaster

Chimp
Feb 8, 2019
You could also try rotating your bars back towards you a degree or two so there is less upsweep and therefore less weight focused on the outside of your hands and more in the center palm area.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You could also try rotating your bars back towards you a degree or two so there is less upsweep and therefore less weight focused on the outside of your hands and more in the center palm area.
So I thought about that and I have them rotated back already other thought was riser 10+ mm to sit a bit more up...I think Mayne being stretched out on a long reach mak out me in too much of an attack stance over hands...

I want to say 8* sweep already SIXC on one 820 38mm rise
Other set spank 820 same ride and sweep .

Not had an issue with this ever but last 2 rides I have new appreciation for people who suffer from this...

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
session is gonna cost you 95 chf/h

yes, i cost less than a mechanic :dead:
Lol no shit...
I should take the science behind all of this and training serious... Aside of cardio power and a extremely aggressive attitude I don't take into account certain aspects ..just train to bang.

Id be curious to hear what kind of things your studies do and help with

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i just do saddle pressure analysis. basicly just measuring ppl while they pedal on their bike in a rig, and then trying to find them a saddle that alleviates their problems and improve pressure distribution
What's your recommendation or what do you find a good tilt and or a good saddle? I know people are different but is there one that stands out