Quantcast

Fort William 2024 Race

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm not sure this has been mentioned but how bad are the whoop heart rate readings and showing them live seems like a horrible marketing idea. Arm based heart rate reading is notorious inaccurate, especially for HR above 160 and their sensor is supposedly not that great. I even considered them some time ago but I doubt many people will after watching this. Somehow Vali Holl has lower Heart Rate than Loic Bruni at the end of the track? Not taking a jab at Vali but nope.
Bad enough that Gwin basically called it bullshit on the broadcast :rofl:

should have read toodles post first

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah if they're not using a chest HRM they're wasting their time. There's waaaay too many limitations with optical pulse measured at the wrist. Not sure its great marketing, even Gwin called them out on it a bit in the commentary.

FWIW, there is a data field you can get for Garmin devices (Heart Rate: OHR v strap difference) that lets you compare your optical reading vs the chest strap. You can see the lag in response at the wrist sensor, plus the lower reading the optical will have anytime arm pump kicks in or during intense bursts.

I am guessing they weren't getting a reading and someone from Whoop, probably a roadie, thought that since they were going down hill they weren't working hard and typed in 140.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah if they're not using a chest HRM they're wasting their time. There's waaaay too many limitations with optical pulse measured at the wrist. Not sure its great marketing, even Gwin called them out on it a bit in the commentary.

FWIW, there is a data field you can get for Garmin devices (Heart Rate: OHR v strap difference) that lets you compare your optical reading vs the chest strap. You can see the lag in response at the wrist sensor, plus the lower reading the optical will have anytime arm pump kicks in or during intense bursts.
I had a polar device which supposedly had the best arm reading for a while and it still was delayed in measuring rising hart rate above a certain treshhold. Another issue with arm HR measurement is high HR often happens when you move A lot and that causes the watch/strap to move even if its super tight.

I am guessing they weren't getting a reading and someone from Whoop, probably a roadie, thought that since they were going down hill they weren't working hard and typed in 140.
Naah it's just what you get with an arm sensor, especially a bad one.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I wore a chest HR monitor for a DH race once. Pretty sure I was above 140 as soon as the start gate beeps started.

Actually, just checked - pretty much 140 within seconds as soon as I started moving. Peaked at 186, average for the race was 176.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Is HR monitoring during the race a desperate attempt to attract roadies? The world we live in is already filled with useless and shitty information to make people feel in control of their life and surroundings...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No. Its simply advertising. A desperate attempt to sell product.

PS. YOUR personal heart rate data has no real relevance to anyone else's.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
No. Its simply advertising. A desperate attempt to sell product.

PS. YOUR personal heart rate data has no real relevance to anyone else's.
And a dumb product at that. Buy our armband that's not a watch and needs a subscription to work and has worse sensor than stuff without subscription, doesn't have GPS data, maps, won't call an ambulance if you crash but "wow it has amazing analytics" which is uselesss if the sensor is bad. I see no reason why buy a whoop over a solid Garmin watch like the Fenix 7.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
And no "cyclist" (90% of the audience disco sold them) ever would.

Whoop been duped
Whoop dee doo.
Translation :Why should we even care?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
True dat.

I have a garmin edge 830 and an old edge25 and still hate myself for falling foul of their cult with my first garmin (edge 800) product well over a decade ago

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
A cyclist wearing a garmin watch is also stupid IMO
For road if you want GPS tracking it makes sense even if a bar mounted tracker might be better. I had a polar before I killed it and bought it for hiking but used it for cycling simply because I already had it. I get it's culty. It's a gadget more than a useful tool

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How does it make sense when you follow up with a bar mounted device being better?

Have you ever ridden a roadbike to HR or PWR or followed a road GPS route with one? .
A watch is just stupid in comparison to a dedicated bar mounted head unit.
Even to an older cheap S/H unit

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
How does it make sense when you follow up with a bar mounted device being better?

Have you ever ridden a roadbike to HR or PWR or followed a road GPS route with one? .
A watch is just stupid in comparison to a dedicated bar mounted head unit.
Even to an older cheap S/H unit
I agree with you. It's imperfect and it's a gadget. It's only useful as a one thing to do a lot of things but you need to be aware it will not be doing all things as well as dedicated devices. The only reason I have a Polar watch (outside of it being waaay cheaper than Garmin) is because I can simply wear it all the time and it makes it convenient because whenever I do something I can track it. I don't want to buy dedicated trackers every time a do a sport. So this is useful for that even if one needs to be aware its imperfect.

Still the original topic was whoop being shit. Since it's not even a watch and it is an even worse activity tracker with fewer functionalities.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF I'd never ever heard of Whoop before they sponsored WC and still haven't ever seen any of their products anywhere.
You'd think they'd have at least had the savy to do an "Oakley" and have the riders seen wearing them for contract bonus'

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have a Polar watch (outside of it being waaay cheaper than Garmin) is because I can simply wear it all the time and it makes it convenient because whenever I do something I can track it.
I always had a Tomtom sports multisports GPS tracker watch for the same reason. Shame Tomtom finally stopped supporting them. I still have a 15yr+ old one going strong but now useless.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
TBF I'd never ever heard of Whoop before they sponsored WC and still haven't ever seen any of their products anywhere.
You'd think they'd have at least had the savy to do an "Oakley" and have the riders seen wearing them for contract bonus'
They paid Lebron when they launched so they must have big VC backing. When I was buying my Polar 5 or 6 years ago I've seen them on review sites but probably they were focusing on US markets and their weird sports

My Polar unfortunately died since it's waterproof rating was wishful thinking apparently and swimming in the open ocean killed it when I did it for the 2nd time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You're welcome to have my old tomtom. Those things are everything proof. comes with chest strap, charger, spare wrist straps and neat little removable bar mounts. Apparently if you're web savy you can still use them without the companies support. Probably fairly simple to do but Waaay above my level or interest

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Thanks but I will probably get a Garmin once I'm not on medical leave from working at a French run company since I do a lot of hiking outside of designated trails and for that it's useful and I don't want to buy a full on gps tracker. Well that plus I run frequently.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
who gives an actual fuck about their heartrate on a ride???? seriously. fuck right the fuck off with that nonsense.
One of the top finishers at this years London marathon was quite vocal about how ditching the monitors helped his pacing. And that’s a 4 hr event.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
who gives an actual fuck about their heartrate on a ride???? seriously. fuck right the fuck off with that nonsense.
It's kinda cool to look at after a ride...sometimes...if it's accurate, but during a ride I could care less. I can tell just fine whether or not I'm blowing up in Zone 5 and I can regulate just fine to find appropriate output for the ride/race. I got 9th Master's in my last big (hundreds and hundreds) race and I never looked at that **** once. I never even looked at my watch/computer once. The only reason I would is to make sure I'm not letting too much time (more than 45 min) pass before fueling again, but being opportunistic to fuel, I never even ran into that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We did have a rider...racer...that wasn't in the best shape, on some kinda training program where I guess they would train hard on certain days, and then on the "off" day or whatever, they couldn't let their HR go above xxx according to the program. This guy definitely needed to train...but that kind of specificity is way way beyond where they were IMO.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I dunno man, I found it pretty important when I had left ventricular hypertrophy hey.

Nowadays I don't use it unless I'm training for something

One of the top finishers at this years London marathon was quite vocal about how ditching the monitors helped his pacing. And that’s a 4 hr event.
I don't think its a 4 hr event for a top finisher and if it is, I should give it a crack.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I use a HRM, but mostly just to feed data into Apple Health (dad has heart issues, and figure monitoring might give me early warnings). Other than that, I only really look at when riding solo and sitting at the top of a climb faffing - when it drops below 110 it means stop procrastinating and hit it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I'm an airplane trying but never succeeding at falling asleep and I see it dipping into the 30s.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I dunno man, I found it pretty important when I had left ventricular hypertrophy hey.

Nowadays I don't use it unless I'm training for something

I don't think its a 4 hr event for a top finisher and if it is, I should give it a crack.
The fort William 4 minute run, vs marathon 4 hr Tim has a symmetry I liked - but then I removed the ft William bit. Also, it’d take me far longer than 4 minutes to complete fort William, so let’s not hold the figures to too close a scrutiny

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
When I'm an airplane trying but never succeeding at falling asleep and I see it dipping into the 30s.
Let it touch the 20’s! I tell the hospital staff to turn the warning system way down so i can not keep getting woken whilst there. Id be proud it goes down that low, but its not an indicator of fitness but shit ticker in my case.
i dont use a monitor because its not flattering. Im gassed at 160bpm.
Im like a 80’s corvette…looks great but lacks performance and eats a lot of fuel.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mate. Sub30-160+ is your HR range.
Many with higher max will have a lower range than you due to their higher resting HR.
Anyone who thinks their high max or low resting HR alone is something to brag about wasted their money on a HR device

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Yeah the only reason I use a sports watch is convenience. I know it's shit for tracking a specific workout. It's just good for showing general trends so if my HR gets lower over same track for example. I also do a lot of off trail hiking so that's where a gps watch comes useful. Too bad I'm on medical leave and wont have money to go to madeira to do some dumb hiking soon.

@Gary also low resting HR and high max doesn't mean you are uber fit. You probably are not a fat mountain but I had my resting HR very low and my max HR quite high while being about as fit as a random jogger in a park

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I know.
Ive always had a very low resting HR too.
Random park Joggers are probably well above average fitness in Scotland

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
My resting heart rate is around 197 bpm when my teenager says dumb things to her mom.
My BPM also rises when my half sister dunks on her contrarian father. Maybe that's what HR trackers are for. Put them on the family, track the shit during family dinner when grandma casually mentions that time her brother killed himself and why their daughters didn't take him off the noose sooner.