Quantcast

Angry’s Big Number Two

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Trail comradery is an amazing thing. Please tell me you have a plan to get a new rain jacket, though.
Actually have a bit of signal in the Smokies.

Yes, there are some amazing people on the AT.

Um, yeah, I don’t know what to do about a rain jacket. Most of the outfitters along the trail so far don’t have much to choose from. Will probably have to order one and have it shipped. Unless the outfitter at the next town stop, Hot Springs, has a suitable jacket.

Unfortunately most rain jackets are marketed as breathable and are coated with a DWR which wears off on everyone of them it seems. Even the uber spendy Arcteryx stuff wears off.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Um, yeah, I don’t know what to do about a rain jacket. Most of the outfitters along the trail so far don’t have much to choose from. Will probably have to order one and have it shipped. Unless the outfitter at the next town stop, Hot Springs, has a suitable jacket.

Unfortunately most rain jackets are marketed as breathable and are coated with a DWR which wears off on everyone of them it seems. Even the uber spendy Arcteryx stuff wears off.
iirc hot springs has some decent outfitters. fingers crossed. also, expecting some amazing northern lights photos from you...keep on keepin on!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Um, yeah, I don’t know what to do about a rain jacket. Most of the outfitters along the trail so far don’t have much to choose from. Wi probably have to order one and have it shipped. Unless the outfitter at the next town stop, Hot Springs, has a suitable jacket.

Breathability is pointless when it is actually raining. A jacket can only breath if there is a difference in humidity between the two sides, which is 100% when it is really raining. Breathable jackets are great when it is below freezing as the outside air is going to be dry.

It gets worse with DWR jackets as the treatment will stop working when dirty or after rubbing against a pack, which is your use case. Even Gortex is just DWR these days, no membrane.

I would seriously consider a proper rain poncho. Cheap, no DWR bullshit, will keep your pack dry, plenty of air movement like a Scottish Kilt, kind of heavy though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Emergency use only. When I go canoeing, I make sure everybody has one. Never needed one in over 40 years but I always have those and a blanket version with me.

I used one on a short trip. 90 degree days but i knew it would get cold at altitude at night. I did not expect 20 freedom degrees. In my sleeping bag with all my clothes I was still too cold to sleep. Emergency blanket over the top made the difference. There was a good 10mm of ice on the inside of the rain fly in the morning from my breath condensing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Still gotta do something for the next 6 months, though.

My very generous in-laws gifted me a Arc'teryx Beta a few years ago and it still doesn't seem to wet out even in the nastiest conditions. But I'm not a rain jacket expert so I'm not saying you should get that - just that after 3 years of hiking it still holds up well.

@Westy my only problem with a poncho is that it's fine in some conditions, but if you're doing anything technical, it can be really cumbersome. Also:

20 freedom degrees [...] 10mm
:twitch:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Roll your own. Neve used it but I have read that this method works really well, can make an old bedsheet more waterproof and durable than a blue tarp.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My very generous in-laws gifted me a Arc'teryx Beta a few years ago and it still doesn't seem to wet out even in the nastiest conditions. But I'm not a rain jacket expert so I'm not saying you should get that - just that after 3 years of hiking it still holds up well.
I have a Beta SL that's admittedly quite old now. I've had to re-waterproof it a few times. Running through the dryer twice on medium heat to realign the polymers or whatever that does is key.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Still gotta do something for the next 6 months, though.

@Westy my only problem with a poncho is that it's fine in some conditions, but if you're doing anything technical, it can be really cumbersome. Also:

:twitch:
Most trails I hike have a few sections with infuriating levels of undergrowth, I want to take a machete but somehow I feel like that would be frowned upon here. However all the sections of A.T. or P.C.T. I have been on is wide and well travelled.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My understanding (not from my own experience but from hanging about with hikers) is most of these membrane materials are actually much of a muchness and it’s the prep and maintenance that makes the difference. Also heard a lot about the effectiveness of appropriate tumble drying.