Quantcast

YT to the US after all

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
As per http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/YT-Industries-Opens-North-America-Oceania-Markets-and-Launches-2015-Range,301 Cam Zink will sell YT in the US to get around the trouble with setting up direct-sale there.

Plenty of nice info there.

2899 USD for the Comp Al is a pretty great deal, particulary for all who dislike the air Boxxer anyway. I'm guessing they go live tomorrow as the extension of the x-mas deal ends today (in 15 min, EU time).

EDIT: The link was later pulled, but after release is available at http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/YT-Industries-Opens-North-America-Oceania-Markets-and-Launches-2015-Range,302 for those who missed it.

Last edited:

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Link works just fine for me. I don't want to copy too much info from someone else's site, but if it's something about the info not being visible if you are in the states or such, the basics are:

2015 YT Industries Range Highlights and Availability
  • New wheelsize (27.5") and revised geo for the TUES AL and TUES AL COMP, available at the end of February
  • New model (enduro race-spec): CAPRA CF PRO RACE, available mid-February
  • Some spec changes and new colors for the CAPRA CF PRO, CAPRA CF COMP 1 and COMP 2, available mid-February
  • New aluminum frame, two build kits CAPRA ORIGIN AL 1 and AL 2, available end of March
  • Dirtjump line stays the same, with FIRST LOVE, DIRT LOVE, and Andreu Lacondeguy's signature LOVE DIRT

Last edited:

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Now the page is inaccessible. I'm still guessing it goes live today (23rd) though, with the same info. They're likely just waiting for YT to officially release on their website. Here is a temporarily hosted picure:

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I wonder when will they release Tues Carbon they showed during Crankworx?

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
...stupid 'Murican.

The Euro isn't the single currency for all EU countries where YT previously sold their wares, the UK being a prime example...so don't feel special ;)

It's not hard to convert your freedom tokens into Euro.

Probably also means you're better off for it with them keeping to their direct sales model (with sales agents in the US), and also not needing to convert to Freedom Tokens (in that scenario they will most likely need to "round up and add some" to accommodate potential currency fluctuation)

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Some info here:

How will you serve customers in these non-European locations?

To keep the consumer-direct approach and maintain our very good price-value ratio by cutting out the middle man, there was only one way to deliver the bikes and still offer great service. We have built up a partner system for these new countries and we have made sure those partners are people just like us – people who love mountain bikes. The business in New Zealand and Australia will be run by Solon Payne and for North America it is no one else but Cam Zink and his brother Howie. Cam and YT felt very positively about each other since we first started working together and he loved our bikes right away, so we decided we want to stay together for as long as possible. But instead of just signing a lifetime sponsorship contract Cam had the idea that he wants to help bring our bikes to the States.

Explain to us a little bit about how these businesses will work. Are you still selling direct in these new markets? Will bikes be stocked and/or serviced in-country? Since you are using business partners in these new markets, how is that different to normal distribution/retail? Will the prices in these new markets be more or less equivalent to the current European prices?

Yes we will also run our direct sales business model in those new markets exactly the same like in Europe, but bikes will be stocked and delivered in-country. Cam and Solon, our partners in North America and Oceania, fulfill sales directly to the end consumers and take care of the service and local marketing. Due to different tax and VAT issues our consumer prices will be slightly higher than in Europe, but not by much. Honestly the big challenge for us was creating this partnership concept to keep the pricing close to our European market pricing all while offering highquality customer service through a local ambassador in those markets. We´re pretty proud that we managed to pull it off!

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Carbon Tues?
The Tues will be launched in carbon also, but no date announced for it in the (now dead) link (and as seen in my earlier post with cut-and-paste info). There is an all-black Tues which should be the carbon, but no spec info or price info on that one was shared. There would also be no reason to specify Al (as in aluminum) for the other Tues models if there wouldn't be a carbon on the way also.

Btw, in regards to the geo, the rear triangle was 435 mm rather than the 425-435 mm they listed for the 2014. The TT was 8 mm longer on the medium and the reach similarly a tad longer. The angles were all the same though. Obviously, the wheel base was a bit bigger, but not by a mile.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Does YT sell frames, or do they only sell complete bikes? Although I didn't look very hard, I didn't see anywhere on their website for a frame-only option. I have a pretty good trail bike build and would love to be able to buy a Capra frame on the cheap and build it up

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Curious to see how this is going to work out in US. Capra al going to be really good deal, prob my next bike

tsanchez

Chimp
Aug 18, 2014
i do find it amusing how everyone in this thread is stoked and could care less about supporting the IBD. not that I am any different...

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
I am curious in what value you see them bringing in this situation? If you do not need them for service what value does the IBD bring?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
i do find it amusing how everyone in this thread is stoked and could care less about supporting the IBD. not that I am any different...
It's a shitty situation, for sure, but the death of the ibd isn't being driven by the consumer, it's being driven by the industry. When manufacturers insist on ramming 3 wheel sizes, 12 axle standards, 3 seatpost sizes, 156.4 headset sizes, 4 handlebar sizes etc etc, the ibd simply cannot keep stock of the products the consumer needs to keep their bike running. If I have to wait 2 weeks for my lbs to order me 17.65mm axle when I can order it online for less & have it within 2 days, guess what I'm going to do?

Unfortunately, the consumer is pretty limited in terms of their buying power re: the manufacturer. It would take a lot for me to buy a trek after their pushing of this boost 148 crap, bit I'm only kidding myself if I think other brands aren't just as bad.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
I am curious in what value you see them bringing in this situation? If you do not need them for service what value does the IBD bring?
When a company is dropping the ball, it's nice to have someone who can call multiple times during normal business hours, and fight for you.

I had an issue, with a company who will not be named, where two weeks turned into a whole summer after repeated calls saying that it would be in that week. Thanks to my dealer, I had access to demo bikes, discounted upgrades for my bike, and even more help when the bike arrived damaged.

A good shop is worth the extra cost. And even if they don't have every bike in stock, they'll order just like you would. But they have pull, and that bike will be built when you get it. As well as help with any issues. I just like good, that's really important, shops.

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
When a company is dropping the ball, it's nice to have someone who can call multiple times during normal business hours, and fight for you.

I had an issue, with a company who will not be named, where two weeks turned into a whole summer after repeated calls saying that it would be in that week. Thanks to my dealer, I had access to demo bikes, discounted upgrades for my bike, and even more help when the bike arrived damaged.

A good shop is worth the extra cost. And even if they don't have every bike in stock, they'll order just like you would. But they have pull, and that bike will be built when you get it. As well as help with any issues. I just like good, that's really important, shops.
Thats far enough. I will say that I have never had a similar experience at an LBS. I have found much better service by calling manufacturers directly on these issues. When I give the same task to an LBS they usually sit on it for a week before calling then attempt to charge me shipping and handling for the whole ordeal.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
Thats far enough. I will say that I have never had a similar experience at an LBS. I have found much better service by calling manufacturers directly on these issues. When I give the same task to an LBS they usually sit on it for a week before calling then attempt to charge me shipping and handling for the whole ordeal.
That's the reason I said a good shop. I'd drive 30 minutes to the shop instead of the one in town. But I can ride with the owner, I trust his opinion, and he supports my local trails.

If you find a good shop, support it. That particular bike did take an email and phone call to the manufacturer, but my shop still sorted out some things when the company tried changing the price and the bike was damaged in shipping.

There's probably too many bike shops in places, but never enough good shops.

More on topic, the euro dropped about 15% compared to the dollar in the last 6 months. I don't expect cheap yts to last when it swings back.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
So YT just hiked their prices across their whole bike line in the US. The base model aluminum Capra is no longer $2899, it is now $3564. The base model aluminum Tues has recieved the same increase. Then add another $150 for shipping. That's a price increase of fucking 20%. Not insignicant. The rate of increase goes up in the higher end models. This is a real shame. It seems like have hiked their prices in the US to increase margins when they have been more than succesful in the Euro market at a lower price point. I was interested in the base Capra, but now I can confidently say YT will not be getting my business. After a 20% increase it is simply too steep for my financial situation, i'll keep my 8 year old frame.