Quantcast

You have $3000 to spend...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
...but it must be on a car. What do you buy?

Long story short, I need suggestions on a cheap and easy car to buy as my POS Mazda is literally falling apart. That ****box needs a new clutch, new struts/shocks, new sway bar links (already gone through one this year), have broken the same rear shock mount twice in the last year, water pump just went........oh and did I mention the RUST? :rant:

So yeah, I am open to any and all suggestions. I don't care what the car looks like, but any good stories of slightly older cars would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking Honda Civic of some sort? Or....

For what its worth, one of the windows was getting buggered up in the jam so I decided to take the interior door panel off to check it out. I found this...

The thing is literally rusting from the inside out.

And to top it off, while putting the door back together, the stinkin' ends of the door lock cables snapped off. So I had this awesome Porsche GT3 inspired door handle going on.

On the bright side I guess, at least I don't need to change the timing belt on an otherwise functional Audi.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Importing a car won't work on my budget. Unless the seller will take beer as payment.

How about 90's Subaru's? Avoid?

A lot of Toyotas out there, but jesus, I might have to get someone to kick my ass if I end up in a Camry.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
+1000 for a Subaru.

Get late 90's and look for one that has had a head gasket replaced already. Other than the head gasket our Outback went 214k hard miles with few hiccups.

AWD rules.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
what are you expecting on a $3k budget?
He said "there must be a catch" I would say that was the reason for the low price, or "the catch" . I wouldn't expect too much at all, but my truck was only $2600 and other than the awful gas mileage it has given me no issues in 2 years and I don't see any issues down the road, either.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
^I'm not sure that my neck would be able to support the awesome mullet that I'd have to grow to pull that off.

He said "there must be a catch" I would say that was the reason for the low price, or "the catch" . I wouldn't expect too much at all, but my truck was only $2600 and other than the awful gas mileage it has given me no issues in 2 years and I don't see any issues down the road, either.
Yep kilometers.

For my budget of $3000, 85% of all the cars I have looked at have around or well over 200000km (124274 miles). So that purple civic with 24000 less miles than the norm, looks a little out of place. Though it is a standard, maybe that lowers the price a bit?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think the only guarantee you will get with a car in the 3000 dollar range is that it will be a ****ty car. So its a question about what ****ty car you want and how you can maintain it with the least headache.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While the gas mileage is crap, this was less than $3k and is damn near bomb proof and works well in all seasons. :rofl:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Pick up an ugly japanese 4 banger with 100k or so miles and install a timing belt and water pump. Drive the thing till your just incredibly sick of it, cause it just won't freaking die. So you get really drunk one night and send it flaming over a cliff. And you're standing there with soot on your face and vomit on your shirt screaming "I beat you ****er!" That's been my experience, anyway.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
1998-2001 Jeep Cherokee. I've owned multiple and all had high miles when I sold. All were very reliable, parts were cheap and plentiful.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I dunno, all the Cherokee's around here look like piles of poop... lol

Hot diggity. I found one of these, but in blueish/grey;

How stupid would I be to pick it up for a daily driver? Selling for $5000 and its in decent shape. Going to look closer tomorrow (have to hop a fence or find the owner).

Though it won't fit in my driveway...But that can be dealt with later.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It its not rotted out, and you don't mind a buckboard ride, those power wagons are great.
cheap parts, basic, eye watering mpg (if you or your budget care about such things).
*disclaimer: im a pick up fan-boi

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It its not rotted out, and you don't mind a buckboard ride, those power wagons are great.
cheap parts, basic, eye watering mpg (if you or your budget care about such things).
*disclaimer: im a pick up fan-boi

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Truck is gone...:wave:

Friend of a friend is selling a 2008 Volkswagen Golf. Don't know of any details or mileage.

Any general thoughts or experience with those? Sounds like it might be a good deal.

I've done my time on the bus. No thanks.... I will happily add to the pollution and traffic problem in order to avoid that. Not to mention the bus is damn expensive here. $4.50 one way to get to my college. No discounts for students, either. :wtf:

Last edited: