Quantcast

yet another "does this bike exist" thread: DH/DJ/Trail multi purpose bike

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
a bike with:
very very stiff rear triangle (ala modern DH bikes)
6" and 7" mode and adjustable geometry,
~71-2 deg seat tube angle,
long enough to accomidate 6" KS dropper post,
run 170mm fork on it,
setup wih CCDB air rear shock, relatively low leverage ratio
prefer 150mm rear end
large is ~530mm reach / ~24" effective TT.
large with ~18" seat tube length

main pivot located inline with a ~34t chainring

6" mode:
13.8 BB, 66.5 HA
slightly firm, fairly linear suspension platform.
ideal for trail rides and dirt jumping

7" mode:
13.4" BB, 65 HA
very plush initial stroke, more progressive than 6".
full DH sled suspension feel ala tr250

31lb trail/single ply, 34lb dh/2 ply.

then all you do is have 1 bike, setup with pimp build, and switch between single ply and dual ply tires for trail vs. DH, and shred.

be legit to race some DH (ala tr250), and race enduro stuff too (ala enduro/nomad), and DJ (ala bottle rocket).

and just go out and get after it, all day, every day, regardless.

done???

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
linear does not mean its stays flat thru the stoke.

a linear line can have any slope ;)

either way you know what i mean.

short travel: firm under hard pedaling, firm off a jump limp, and does not bottom out when overshooting. 30% sag.

DH mode: sensitive and plush off the top, fairly deep sag (35-40%), and consistent support and ramp up deeper into the travel.

Last edited:

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
either way you know what i mean - firm under hard pedaling, firm off a jump limp, and does not bottom out when overshooting. 30% sag.

compared to a DH bike: sensitive and plush off the top, fairly deep sag (35-40%), and consistent support and ramp up deeper into the travel.
check out the Morewood Kalula. works great with a CCDB - sag and geo is pretty much what you're after AFAIK

I'd suggest the first generation Intense Slopestyle, has the full seatpost for a dropper and shreds trails and jamps really well. but maybe not recent enough for your needs? I've been riding mine as a miniDH/trail/freeride/AM rig and it's been a lot of fun at just under 32lbs with a 32t ring up front and 11-34 in the back. rear axle is 150mm with a bolt on 21mm Hadley axle which feels super stiff with no flexy.

edited: actually you can run a dropper on the second gen SS, I believe. moar sexy !!!

but both bikes only have 7" & 6.5" respectively, fixed mode

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
linear does not mean its stays flat thru the stoke.

a linear line can have any slope ;)

either way you know what i mean.

short travel: firm under hard pedaling, firm off a jump limp, and does not bottom out when overshooting. 30% sag.

DH mode: sensitive and plush off the top, fairly deep sag (35-40%), and consistent support and ramp up deeper into the travel.
Linear means uh.......like a line and stuff. Yes you can have progressive but I'm talking about dx^2/dt, not dx/dt

Knowwhuddamean?

Besides......you already know the answer to your question.

Rhymes with 'NO' but starts with an N and ends with O.

There's no >5" travel bike that's a dirtjumper. Not unless your idea of 'dirtjumping' is a 4x course or I street.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
There's no >5" travel bike that's a dirtjumper. Not unless your idea of 'dirtjumping' is a 4x course or I street.
you and i both know that i mean i-street, and if there were real steep lipped dirt jumps around here i would just roll a hardtail

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
gnarbar, thanks for the comments.

I have a makalu, which is a radical DH bike, and the kalula is great too, but you are not exactly going to be stoked trail riding those things.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
http://www.last-bikes.com/

"We have build the HERB 160 and the HERB 180 frame on the same platform, which means by changing the rocker you convert your HERB 160 into a HERB 180. Have a look in the Technology section to read more about this feature and other technologies we applied to make this bike (as exceptionally good) as it is."

Someone buy one of these and tell me if it's as rad as it sounds!!
(150mm rear, geo fairly close to what you want, prob no jirtdump love, but I suppose you could just pump the sh!t outta them air shocks!)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The trickiest idea that i havent seen in a bike, but is a cool idea, is the longer travel/low bb, short travel/ high bb
Usually bikes are the exact opposite relation between travel and geometry, but I think it's a concept that could make a super versatile ride.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
I'd say something like the TR250, SS2 (still made?).

If you crank the compression all the way up on the rear shock, many bikes should be somewhat remotely decent at DJ.

But really, I think that many would be well served by having a few different bikes. An AM/XC bike, a DJ bike, and a freeride / DH bike. Many try to combine the AM and FR/DH duties with a "one" bike, such as Canfield's.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
canfield one certainly seems closest. at least it has a normal seat tube angle.

gotta grab mrAG's for a lap or two.

i wish i had faith that an ss2 or tr250 could hang with something like an enduro or reign on an xc climb.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Did you get your wings clipped? Momma say you can only have one bike?

Quiver it up my man.

29'er hardtail trail/xc bike

26 6x6 trail/am/enduro bike

Dh bike, 26 duh

Add a cheap as chips DJ bike if you've got good jumps around.

Kinda like skis

85mm lightweights with tech for long traverse / peak bagging / chutting.

112mm midweights with tech for touring

120mm damp inbounds with 916's for lifts / cat / heli

No man should live without a quiver.