Quantcast

Yess Chain Tensioner for DH

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Does anyone know if the new Yess ETR/D (dh) single speed Chain tensioner actually work on Downhill bikes like they claim on their sites?

Here is a Video of it in action:

thoughts on this, i would like to try it out on my DH bike... :-)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yep it does, just great. 3 of us running that thing around here on our DH bikes. No serious problems yet. Just make sure all the bolts are locktighted. Mine's seen a lot of mileage. SOOO nice to not have to worry about chainlines/shifter/derailleurs/etc.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Yep it does, just great. 3 of us running that thing around here on our DH bikes. No serious problems yet. Just make sure all the bolts are locktighted. Mine's seen a lot of mileage. SOOO nice to not have to worry about chainlines/shifter/derailleurs/etc.

that's awesome... ordering one right now.. :-) i will run it and test it out!

does it work with the SRAM 991 Chains or do i need a SS chain?

Last edited:

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
same here.. running one on my DH bike without any issues whatsoever, with a SRAM powerlink chain.

you won't regret it!

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
thansks guys... my wife just asked me if i wanted something for my bike for Xmas... i will tell her i want this.,... :-)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I can account for 5 guys locally using it successfully on 9" and 10" bikes. AWESOME setup. I will NOT go back to a derailleur on my DH bike unless I'm racing a course that has an actual demand for a wide gear spread.

Two things to remember - cycling your suspension without the shock to the nominal compressed length to ensure articulation/chain slack, and really critique your gear ratio (duh). If you spend time doing this, you can arrive a setup that basically gives you usable power anywhere on singletrack. I spin mine out on fast fire roads with the 38/18 setup I use now and that's about it. It can still climb mellow stuff decently too.

The bike setup now is super clean and smooth, and most importantly there's no derailleur hanging out to get snagged. The clearance you get from this is the best part. Can't say enough positive things about that setup.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Been wondering about this exact product for a while..

Are you guys all still running a chain device up front?
also, do you ride in mud?

even in that short video with the bike in a stand it looks as if the chain's getting slack enough to drop/bounce off a chainring in use.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i was condidering running it on my DH bike, but i will be running it on my 4X bike... instead... i'll be racing with Mr Dennis Y. next year and need gears, but on a 4X bike i will be rocking this!!!!!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Whoa lots of questions. I think all of us around here I more or less running the EXACT same drivetrain set up, so I will answer these questions
1. Chainguide: Yes, we are all still running chainguides up front. The standard MRP system 3 guide with an alloy bash. I've been toying with the idea of trying it without the guide, but considering I often do 4-5 mile/20 minute descents, I don't think I wanna risk it, I'd advise against it. The chain is much more restrained than with a normal derailleur, but still bounces around enough to probably fall off.

2. No, we don't ride in mud around here (yay!)

3. Most of us are running 2:1 or something slightly higher than 2:1. I think I've got 38-16 or 36-16 on mine now (can't remember). I think Hacktastic is running 36:18 (2:1). I run a slightly lower gearing on my SS DJ bike. I find that my 38-16 is sufficient for must of our shuttle trails. We're not sending and big doubles generally. But I think if I went up to northstar or something similar I'd probably up it to 38-14 for the doubles and such on Boondocks and Gypsy

4. Hub/sproket: We're all running normal Hadley rear hubs with a SS conversion kit on it. Which is basically just some cassette spacers and regular SS cog. I think I running a gusset cog on mine? I've had the same one on my DJ bike for like 3 years and it has basically no wear, this stuff will last forever. As for the front chainring, it just a normal chainring you'd run on a single ring chainguide set up. I think mine's a blackspire at the moment. It's lasted well over a year, but I'm not a big pedaler.

I'll post up some pics later after I eat lunch

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Whoa lots of questions. I think all of us around here I more or less running the EXACT same drivetrain set up, so I will answer these questions
1. Chainguide: Yes, we are all still running chainguides up front. The standard MRP system 3 guide with an alloy bash. I've been toying with the idea of trying it without the guide, but considering I often do 4-5 mile/20 minute descents, I don't think I wanna risk it, I'd advise against it. The chain is much more restrained than with a normal derailleur, but still bounces around enough to probably fall off.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
if your chain still bounces around, how much? does the chain still hit the chainstays over rough ground? does the YES tensioner's spring have adjustable tension? a big part of the appeal of going SS for me would be a silent chain and no mud clogging issues (by ditching the chain device - funnily enough the bike I'd be interested in fitting one to has the exact same chain device as yours but it's a slap-happy FSR).

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Thanks for the detailed reply.
if your chain still bounces around, how much? does the chain still hit the chainstays over rough ground? does the YES tensioner's spring have adjustable tension? a big part of the appeal of going SS for me would be a silent chain and no mud clogging issues (by ditching the chain device - funnily enough the bike I'd be interested in fitting one to has the exact same chain device as yours but it's a slap-happy FSR).
The spring has adjustable tension. It's fairly quiet I'd say. Way better than a normal setup. I've only had problems on one section of one trail with the chain slamming around/failling off. It just popped off the lower pulley. Fell inbetween the tension cog and the metal plates. But, I probably don't have it tight enough, its slightly misaligned currently, and this section was so rocky, it's a challenge to even hold on. I wouldn't reccomend using it on a DH bike without the chainguide.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Gemini - are all of the bikes that you are talking about with this setup VPP? How well would the Yess work on a single pivot? I'm assuming that there is enough range of motion in the Yess to accommodate some chain growth?

I'm just thinking that Whistler SS would be a blast - assuming I could get the gearing right to be usable in the Garbo tech (In Deep, Goats Gully) as well as on the open jump runs (Freight/DM /A-Line)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Um mine is vpp of course, the other 2 are sinister R9's. I'm not sure what the few others that Hacktastic knows. There's a good amount of chaingrowth on the VPP and R9's I believe and it seems to work fine. It's got a wide range of motion, but you might have to file down the bracket to get clearance for movement around the hanger. You can see in the second to last pic from behind the tensioner there are 2 set screw holes. They're kinda worthless and we took them out. I also had to dremel a little bit of material off there. On the outside and inside.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Gemini - are all of the bikes that you are talking about with this setup VPP? How well would the Yess work on a single pivot? I'm assuming that there is enough range of motion in the Yess to accommodate some chain growth?

I'm just thinking that Whistler SS would be a blast - assuming I could get the gearing right to be usable in the Garbo tech (In Deep, Goats Gully) as well as on the open jump runs (Freight/DM /A-Line)
Works great on a Splinter! Ran 38/18 on that for lift days and it was primo. Can accommodate a lot more chain stretch than that frame has.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Probably great. I'd love to run that setup if they came with worthy DH cranks.

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
I've been running single speed DH on my bike for well over 18 months now. Just like the others in this thread I'd never go back.

I started a thread about this a while back:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212849

My bike is a sinlge pivot Orange. The chain growth is huge, up to 3" at full travel. I built my own custom tensioner to take this up and it works great. I've never dropped a chain. You do however need some kind of guide or roller that sits uder the cog and stop the chain dropping off the bottom.

I haven't tried a Yess type tensioner but think it might struggle with really large chain growth.

Recently I bought a Halo singlespeed rear hub. It did require a bit of modifcation (drilling a bigger hole) to work with my 12mm rear end. Now however i have a zero dish rear wheel. Also, the hub has a separate 'driver' to hold the cog. I have two drivers and can very quickly (30 secs with Maxle) change ratios to suit the track. I run either 32:12 or 32:10 depending on the track I'm riding.

Singlespeed Downhill is brilliant. I get a lot of interest in my bike but the British seem a lot less open to change than you North Americans.

A kid recently looked at my bike then just sniggered and commented "Why?". "Cos' it's ****ing brilliant I replied".

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
This is so cool :)
I've been thinking about coverting my Trance X to SS bike with exactly the same NC-17 chain tensioner monkeykcuker says about, which (the tensioner) has been in my part box for like 2 years... ;)
But now, when my only bike is Glory, I might do the thing to my big bike :)
I run 38t chain ring, so probably should get 18-19t cog, right?
Any suggestions concerning SS converter for Hope hub?

chufta

Chimp
Sep 6, 2007
Croatia - "here be dragons"
you should go with 16t (can accelerate out of gate, and have good range covered). i have 38t front and got ss kit with 16t and 18t rear, but never use 18t. if it were used on fr bike where you have to pedal some uphill then 18t would be good choice, but on dh bike is too easy to spin out.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Im using a 16t on the rear with the yess etr-d and a hammerschmidt up front. Its great to not have to worry abut my drivetrain any more

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Note: Yess does not work on Turner DHR due to the bulky mech hanger.

Must buy new DHR.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
:) I thought about Dremel-ing but stopped when I realised how much alu the mech hanger would loose.

After some e-search: will buy new Pivot/Phoenix because of the Yess compatible hanger. Thank you internet.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
After some e-search: will buy new Pivot/Phoenix because of the Yess compatible hanger. Thank you internet.
Uhhh, I have yet to see a frame that it won't work on. I don't think that's really a reason to buy a bike, no offense. Well, actually, I do mean a little offense.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
The Yess ETR-D is made to fit most standard rear mech hangers. The hanger on the DHR 06 is much wider than what the ETR-D accepts. You could make it fit but you would have to dremel away a lot of aluminum on both the DHR hanger, and also some on the ETR-D to get good angle relative to the chain stay. Maby I can take a picture that explains everything so I do not have to write confusing words.

Regarding buying new frame: I am in the market to upgrade the DHR, thus it would be a great idea for me to consider the possibility to run it SS, because this is what I want to do. If the Pivot fits AND does not have a beefy hanger it is a good alternative to the new DHR.

No offense taken, you could not know the thoughts going through my mind the latest 10 minutes.