Quantcast

XO Spider-less Interface issues

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
So, I can feel something shifting in my BB/crank area. I think it’s the interface between my direct mount ring and the XO mount.

I am running a MRP bling ring on it.

Has anyone else had this issue? It’s weird because the ring was hard to get on; I had to use a pvc pipe to drive on. If I put the bike right side up, and pedal forward with my hands while keeping the bike from moving, the crank moves slightly and I cannot isolate what it is.

BB is tight, crank bolt is tight. Really not sure what to do at this point in time.

Help?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
So you feel the crank moving? Sounds like you're either missing parts in the BB (Stan has a lot of puddly bullshit in there), bb may be hosed, or your cranks aren't tight. If it's only the cranks moving and there's no funky noises, I suspect it's not the chainring/crank interface.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
So you feel the crank moving? Sounds like you're either missing parts in the BB (Stan has a lot of puddly bullshit in there), bb may be hosed, or your cranks aren't tight. If it's only the cranks moving and there's no funky noises, I suspect it's not the chainring/crank interface.
yes, when i pedal i can feel something shift. if i put pressure on the crank when the bike is not moving the crank slightly shifts, indicating that something is loose. i took everything apart already and made sure the bb and sprocket were not loose.

i think the non drive crank arm doesnt have as much real estate on the spindle as it should.. but the problem is the nut used to tighten the arm is an aluminum one, so i can only tighten it so much before strip it. its completely bottomed out, the arm is not going on the spindle anymore.

ill have to take the arm off and get a measurement of how much spindle there is.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's GXP interface, right? The crank should not be able to move unless:
* the NDS bearing has a lot of axial play
* the NDS bearing is moving in the cup
* the NDS cup is moving in the frame
* you are not tightening the bolt enough, not pinching the bearing between the crank and spindle lip

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
yeah, its a GXP system. i should have posted that in the first post, my bad.

I read something about a 'gutter ring/seal' that i might possibly be missing. what i think i need to do now is check and make sure the tolerance between the spindle and bearings are also good, as well if i have one of those gutter deals.

as for the bolt. i tightened the shit out of it. probably tighter than it should be, i dont think i could get it tighter; yes the cranks still spin freely.

thanks for the help. i will probably work on this on sunday.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
as for the bolt. i tightened the shit out of it. probably tighter than it should be, i dont think i could get it tighter; yes the cranks still spin freely.
Grease the spindle well. There is no bearing preload - you are tightening against the inner race on both sides therefore it will always spin freely.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
If you do not have the gutter seal cover on it causes that issue. Wobbles a bit but spins fine. No clue why you would need a PVC pipe to put on the bling ring. It maybe tight but in now way should it be like that. They do make GXP and BB30 versions of those rings that are different as to the depth of the ring itself.