Quantcast

XenForo transition complete: post here with issues

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've been keeping track of this stuff offline, just thought I'd add it here for visibility's sake. I will keep it updated.

New Stuff

"Last Post" button: In the last post column for any thread/forum, you can click on the date under the username to jump right to the last post in the thread.

"Reputation" & "Likes": Both were implemented because of the short message capability of Reputation. If one doesn't get used, we can remove it.

User Tagging: You can now tag a user in a post and they'll get a notification that they've been mentioned. This helps bring a thread to someone's attention without having to PM them - try it out, such as @binary visions

Suggestions / Issues
  • Some users are reporting that the site is slow
  • Post layout is a bit crowded, has no clear delineation between posts
  • Fixed width causes some wrapping/crowding (e.g. post edit toolbar, post controls)
  • Collapsing forums doesn't stick between sessions
  • Attached image embedding can be viewed "full size" but not "full window"
  • Forum indicator on new posts widget

Corrected / Closed Issues:
  • Internet Explorer 8 doesn't show many of the icons (closed; issue with local security settings)
  • Posting hotkeys (e.g. Ctrl-S) no longer work (closed; tab key + space bar posts messages)
  • Email notifications don't contain actual message content (fixed; added conversation message content to email notifications)
  • "Online" indicator for users (closed; next version implements this)
  • Can post order be sorted within a thread? (closed; not possible in current system)
  • Add "Preview" button under the quick reply box (closed; causes wrapping issues with mobile skin)
  • Thread tags are missing (fixed; missed a permission)
  • Email notification links are broken (fixed; configuration setting)
  • NSFW tag is missing (fixed; added new tag)
  • Animated avatars are broken (fixed; implemented new image processing library)
  • Search isn't working (fixed; search indexing takes a long time)
  • Classifieds mixed in with normal threads on "New Posts" widget (fixed; added a second tab to the widget)
  • Ride report forum responses require moderation (fixed; changed permissions)
  • Social media logins are re-added

We successfully migrated the data from vBulletin to XenForo.

Right now, I am rebuilding the caches so the site might run a little slow or act a little funny. Please report problems (other than slowness) here.

There are some things that are done, and others that are a work in progress. What's done:
  • Posts, conversations, attachments, etc. are all migrated. If you are missing data, please let me know.
  • Forums and threads are migrated. All bookmarks should forward correctly to the new URLs. If you find broken URLs, let me know.
  • Classifieds are in place and should be good - let me know if there are problems.
  • Search is re-indexed and re-enabled.
  • NSFW tag is re-implemented
  • Moderators are added again to their appropriate forums.
  • Social media logins are done.
What's not done:
  • The skin is still a work in progress. If you have suggestions, please speak up. I welcome all recommendations.
Thanks for everyone's patience this morning, post up if you have any thoughts - good, bad or indifferent!

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Whoa... this is gonna take some getting used to...

Is there anyway to edit your thread settings like the old site. I had it set up that whenever I clicked on a thread it showed the most recent posts on the top in stead of how it's showing now that it takes you instantly to the first post?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is there anyway to edit your thread settings like the old site. I had it set up that whenever I clicked on a thread it showed the most recent posts on the top in stead of how it's showing now that it takes you instantly to the first post?
I'm actually really not sure what you mean... you had your threads sorted in reverse order? So when you clicked on a thread it was listed most recent to least recent?

Optimised for 640 X 480?
Fixed width has remained the same. I don't love it either but it was one of the few requirements that I don't have control over... and it's no different from the old site.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Can you get neg rep? Someone negative rep me, can't do it to myself.
Yep, you can give negative values in the rep form. I plan to change the form so that it's a selectable positive/negative rather than having to actually type a negative number.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The default action by clicking on a thread is "go to first unread post." There's also a button at the top of ever thread.
Oh. Well in that case it's not working for me. Every time I've clicked on the thread title it's taken me to the very first page. Is the button the little "wi-fi" looking symbol? Because all I got was a bunch of code when I clicked on that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh. Well in that case it's not working for me. Every time I've clicked on the thread title it's taken me to the very first page. Is the button the little "wi-fi" looking symbol? Because all I got was a bunch of code when I clicked on that.
No, the wifi thing is an RSS feed.

You should be able to just click on the thread title. It's working for me. Can you try clearing your cache? Keep in mind that all threads are considered "unread" as of the import this morning so only stuff you've read this morning will be actually registered as read.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) please reverse order of buttons under forum menu. New Post on left, in other words.

2) no favicon

3) auto thread refresh after quick reply not working under Safari on iOS although this might be just due to the general extreme slowness

4) way too much visual crap by default at bottom of each post's text

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
1) please reverse order of buttons under forum menu. New Post on left, in other words.

2) no favicon

3) auto thread refresh after quick reply not working under Safari on iOS although this might be just due to the general extreme slowness

4) way too much visual crap by default at bottom of each post's text
1) will look into it
2) favicon is and has been there... not sure why it's missing for you
3) yes, we're rebuilding caches and it's putting the hurt on the servers
4) skin is still a WIP... thanks for the feedback, it's definitely a little cluttered down there.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How do I get rid of avatars? I can't find it in the settings and it's hard to 'blend in' with all of them glaring.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
You should be able to just click on the thread title. It's working for me. Can you try clearing your cache? Keep in mind that all threads are considered "unread" as of the import this morning so only stuff you've read this morning will be actually registered as read.
Okay, so cleared my Chrome, now it seems to work "sometimes". For instance, clicking the "monday GMT' title took me to the last post, but clicking on the "youtube" thread takes me to the first page every time I try.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
BV,...as an FYI, it doesn't look like the links work in the e-mail notifications. It takes you to the site and shows an error.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Okay, so cleared my Chrome, now it seems to work "sometimes". For instance, clicking the "monday GMT' title took me to the last post, but clicking on the "youtube" thread takes me to the first page every time I try.
Probably because there are a lot of pages and you haven't read them. Try hitting the "mark forums read" link so that it'll see new content as actually being new.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Probably because there are a lot of pages and you haven't read them. Try hitting the "mark forums read" link so that it'll see new content as actually being new.
I thought that at first, but I've now "read" the youtube and random picture thread multiple times now and it still takes me to the first page when I click on the thread title. I also marked all forums as read, and now it's taking me back to the beginning on every thread.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV,...as an FYI, it doesn't look like the links work in the e-mail notifications. It takes you to the site and shows an error.
Got it, thanks. I've duplicated it and will look into it.

I thought that at first, but I've now "read" the youtube and random picture thread multiple times now and it still takes me to the first page when I click on the thread title. I also marked all forums as read, and now it's taking me back to the beginning on every thread.
If there are no unread posts in the thread, I guess I'd expect it to take you to the first post. You can still click the last page # under the thread title to take you to the last page.

Aren't there forums that use adjustable-width based on the screen size (or resolution)? Or are they just always widescreen and I don't notice it because I've actually moved past 20th century technology?
Yes, I get it. you want us to have a dynamic site width. This is what we've got for the time being. There is no step backwards from the last site - it was this width, too.

I'm not bashing you, but I've heard the complaint and I understand the issue, but the ad templates require certain site parameters, and this is the constraint we have right now.