Quantcast

X - Post From HCOR - Broken Race Link!

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
From HCOR:

I was out doing runs in the glen where I live and having some fun.On my third run I went and dropped off a 6' bridge that lands downside.Where I landed was about 8-9' Drop and all of a sudden I came to a stop.What the f#@k is what I said and looked down and I ripped the lower linkage off of my swingarm.So that was the end of my riding and I had to walk the rest of the way out.Now I wait to see what Brooklyn Machine Works can do for me on Monday.

Wow... I was under the impression those bikes were unbreakable. Guess not.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mcA896 said:
whoa ud have to be pretty hefty to break a brooklyn. thats almost as unfathomable as breakin an evil!!
More likely it could have just been material flaw, manufacturing flaw, wear and tear, or a combination of a few...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Kadvang said:
Wow... I was under the impression those bikes were unbreakable. Guess not.
Racelink.

Not TMX, not Big Link, not Super Trucker.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Jm_ said:
Racelink.

Not TMX, not Big Link, not Super Trucker.
Right.

But still, who has ever heard of a BMW breaking. Even though its the RACE link, I was under the impression that, barring material flaw, manufacturing flaw, wear and tear, or just gross rider error, these bikes should last a lifetime. I'm not trying to bash brooklyn at all here, just wondering how such a thing could happen.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Big E said:
buy a banshee. they are bomb proof!
:rolleyes:

They are not. There've been broken Banshees as well.

As far as this guy breaking his Brooklyn Racelink... All it means to me is that (ready for this) everything breaks given the right circumstances, be it a material flaw, fatigue or whatever. The fact that this is so shocking to everyone is testament enough to Brooklyn's build quality and strength.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
so 1 BMW broke, woohoo.....
i've seen pics of broken Avalanche forks. it happens.

still this thread is worthless without pics.
if my BMW broke i'd have loads of pics.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
yeah.. a bike frame broke they all do.. i know one guy personally who broke a race link.. then 2 tmx's.. the race link from doing drops.. same w/ 1 tmx and another tmx broke cuz he smashed it into a tree w/ a monster t up front.. so yeah things break under some conditions.. im sure brooklyn will take care of it really well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Kadvang said:
Right.

But still, who has ever heard of a BMW breaking. Even though its the RACE link, I was under the impression that, barring material flaw, manufacturing flaw, wear and tear, or just gross rider error, these bikes should last a lifetime. I'm not trying to bash brooklyn at all here, just wondering how such a thing could happen.
if that was true, they'd only make one downhill bike.

but there are people that always want something lighter.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Make sure you let them know that your posting that you broke one of their frames on more than one very busy MTB sites. Heck, even if you dont tell them im sure at some point it would get back to them. As big of a world all the DH/FR guys think it is, in reality its pretty damn small. How many industry guys are here in the open or even just lurking?? Ive had my issues with bikes, but I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt before going on and blabbing about breaking it. I undestand being stoked by your superhuman powers to destroy the indestructable.... Remeber bikes arent f-1 fighters that have every single part x-rayed for microscopic cracks and other manufacturing defects. Everything has some weakness.......even bruce willis......

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I think companies should not warranty stuff after you spam it on the net. If I was a builder and saw that you would be SOOL

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
siko, fix the hummer in your sig, the windshield, tires and grille are all screwed up it's drivin' me nuckin' futs!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
oly said:
Remeber bikes arent f-1 fighters that have every single part x-rayed for microscopic cracks and other manufacturing defects. QUOTE]

That's why all the parts I make are from left over material from boeing airplanes. That means all my aluminum has been x-rayed an penetrant inspected. Just a perk to a lousy job.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
sikocycles said:
I think companies should not warranty stuff after you spam it on the net. If I was a builder and saw that you would be SOOL
That's stupid. He didn't come on being an ass about it. You don't sign non-disclosure agreements when you buy bikes. A legitimate failure (yet to be determined) is a legitimate failure, and posting about it online isn't the blasphemy you make it out to be. I'll be interested to see the pics and hear the results of this CS issue.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
It is hard enough to make a living in the bike industry and when people post stuff like that it is bad for the industry. I think most of us know that stuff breaks and we really dont need to see or hear when something breaks. He was not being an ass I agree with you there but he should have called BMW first to see what they will do.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
sikocycles said:
It is hard enough to make a living in the bike industry and when people post stuff like that it is bad for the industry.
How is it bad for the industry? People aren't going to stop spending money on bikes just becasue someone on the internet broke something.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
This was posted on Hcor by the owner of the broken BMW:

>>Well went to Brooklyn Machine Works today Monday to drop off the link.Doc is the best he said he can fix it and it will be done in two weeks.My link is one of the early production frame so they where made to be light.They used thin metal and now it will be 4x's thicker and alot stronger.Hat's off to them they are taking great care of me So's is Patrice at Bay Ridge Bikes in Brooklyn If you need anything when it comes to dh products call her she will find the impossible!<<

And everyone lived happily ever after.

joel

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Excellent- good CS by brooklyn and smiles all around. I wasn't trying to spam or whine or bash BMW at all, just trying to show, as everyone has said, that no bike is unbreakable.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
punkassean said:
FIX THE HUMMER GODAMNIT NOW!!!!!

yes I have OCD, why do you ask?
damn straight.

Hey..maybe his eyes are F-ed-up?

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
buildyourown said:
That's why all the parts I make are from left over material from boeing airplanes. That means all my aluminum has been x-rayed an penetrant inspected. Just a perk to a lousy job.

Boeing Surplus :thumb:
ive seen some stuff in there just out of my price range that blew me away. I got a sheet of 1/8 inch aluminum honeycomb/carbon fiber stress skin there 5' x 6' for 15 bucks, weighs nothing, and its damn near impossible to flex. amazing how much stuff they sell off a day

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
A customer service request is an opportunity for a company to shine - it's only a threat to business if they perform poorly when duty calls.

micce

Chimp
May 29, 2004
sweden - gothenburg
adrenalinerush said:
OO....dont forget the Rubber Ducky and the Master Plan. Does anyone know what happen to these crazy bikes, are they in some Smithzoniem(sp) with the Trek Y-frame
I bought the ducky from Joe like 6 weeks ago. Damn sweet ride I must say! :love: